Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your TOP 5 Video Game Magazines of all freaking Time!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Your TOP 5 Video Game Magazines of all freaking Time!

Ok, here is the deal. I want you to rank your Top 5 Video Game Magazines of all time. If you want to rank more than 5, that's fine. But you have to come up with at least 5. Also, these magazines of course can include magazines that are no longer in print. If you could, please next to you rankings include a sentence or two about what makes the mag so special to you.

Ok, I'll start things off with my list. I must say that I don't know anything about video game magazines before 1990. So I can't really comment on mags before 1990. So take that into consideration, when judging my rankings.

1. Die Hard Game Fan - Look, all I can say is that the Early Die Hard Game Fan, was untouchable. The key thing for me about Game Fan, was that they didn't waste space. So many video game magazines will just do preview after preview that won't really say anthing about the game, other than what you could get in a press release from the company that was promoting the game. In other words, most magazines previews are just advertisements. But with Die Hard Game Fan, even in their previews you got a good idea as to whether the game was worth you paying attention to or not. No wasted space. Plus these guys were true gamers that just loved games. The only thing negative I can say about Game Fan is that they were a little bit too positive on too many games. Also, when they changed management, the Mag suffered. I'm really ranking the Early Die Hard Game Fan No. 1.

2. Next-Generation - The thing that I loved about Next Generation is the fact that they really covered the health of the industry. I'm not so sure that they were that good at covering the actual games, and I really disliked the way that they reviewed games, but I absolutely loved the way they would cover the state of the video game industry. The way they covered the video game systems and companies that were fighting for our retail dollars.

3. GamePlayers - This was just a very solid magazine in terms of the previews and the reviews. I always hated the cheap paper that they used though.

4. EGM - To be honest, I hate to rank EGM this high. I don't think they really deserve it. But I have to. The reason why is because they have always been super successful in terms of having lots of advertisers, which allows them to have very large issues. Sometimes their November and December issues would just be gigantic. The bad side to EGM is that I think their previews were a complete waste of time. The only thing they would do in their previews is give you the same crap that's on the back of the game box. No insight, no opinion. No early take on how the game is shaping up. If their previews were decent, I would rank them much, much higher.

5. Gamers Republic - Obviously, being a huge fan of Die Hard Game Fan, I followed Dave Halverson and company to Gamers Republic. Once again, I thought that this was a magazine that didn't waste any precious space. Every word was giving you some real information and not just company PR.

6. Play - I like Play, but I think they waste alot of pages on Non-gaming stuff. If I want to have movie reviews, I will get them from my Newspaper. Just stick to the games please. They don't have enough advertising to waste pages on that.

7. GAMES tm - This is that magazine from England. I think this is a relatively new magazine. All I can say is that I absolutely love the paper!. That paper feels so damn good! This mag is expensive, because it's imported, and I'm not too interested in modern gaming right now, so I don't really get this mag, but if I'm in Barnes and Noble, I always check it out.

8. GamePro - I hate to rank LamePro, err, GamePro this high, but once again, I have to because they are so backed by advertisers that they have so many more pages than other mags. And more pages is never a bad thing. The biggest problem with GamePro is that their mag appears to be targeted to 12 year olds. This is great if you are 12, but if you're older than that, it can be kinda embarrising to be holding a GamePro magazine in your hand.

9. Game Informer - The little magazine that could. Game Informer is kind of an afterthought, considering they practically give this mag away for free. But their mag is actually pretty decent. Despite the fact that they have a blind prejudice to favor the PS2 and downgrade everything else, I still think their mag is pretty good.

10. XBOX Nation - I hate to rank a magazine that is exclusive to 1 system, but I think that XBOX Nation is a great read. They don't waste their space, and they really break down the XBOX scene in detail. Now that I'm into the old school games, I don't really check them out anymore, but of the current mags that are on Newstands right now, I give them some props.

Well, that is my Top 10 right now. I'm sure I've probably forgotten about some really good magazines that deserve to be on my list ahead of some of the ones that I got on there, but oh well. That is what the Edit feature is for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

PSM because it came with cool stickers.

PC Accelerator ... guess why?

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hey, where's VG&CE? At its peak, it was a kick-ass magazine. And Electronic Games, the all-time classic?

For my money, Next Generation was the only videogame magazine worth reading. Everything else was nothing more than a glorified toy catalog for frat boys.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im from the UK and the only magazine worth reading is EDGE I highly suggest you check it out. Its great because its impartial, which most magazines arnt, because they are buried in gifts from game producers to get them to say nice things about shit games.

D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1) EGM
    -As much as i hate their new layout, they are always have funny articles, interesting info, and i also like their review system.
    2)PSM
    -Overall the BEST magazine design out on the market, its so vibrant with colors dashing everywhere, their previews were always nice and large, reviews done in depth, and their info was always interesting.
    3)OPSM
    -Well i usualy dont like how they get a bit "off track" so to say on their info (like talking about a movie star instead of gaming) But their articles are nice and long, previews are often HUGE, and reviews are great.
    4)NP
    -Great nintendo magazine, the onlyone i would ever buy. While their reviews are a bit ...blah.. the rest of their mag is nice and entertaining
    5)XpertGamer
    -Now a discontinued magazine, i loved their mini game guides and game articles, t was the first mag i ever subscribed to, and i miss it

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to throw my vote to VG+CE. It's hard to believe you didn't add it to your list.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Ditto on the VG&CE. There is no modern day equivalent. Doubt there ever will be.. but that's partly why they really didn't sell well, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Droodroo
    Im from the UK and the only magazine worth reading is EDGE I highly suggest you check it out. Its great because its impartial, which most magazines arnt, because they are buried in gifts from game producers to get them to say nice things about shit games.

D
    There's a new magazine over in Britain that's similar to Edge (which I'm sorely missing since NG died), called Gamer. It's an excellent read.

I just wish someone could bother to make a games magazine that didn't pander to teenage boys. Fat chance on that; the publishing world is too busy chasing after drunken frat boys with the likes of Maxim. Yawn.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regarding Video Games and Computer Entertainment, I used to get those mags, back in the early 90's, and they were pretty good, but at the time I had no interest in computer games, and I hated the fact that pages went to PC games that I didn't care about.

For some reason I also remember VG & CE as always having pretty skinny magazines, in terms of number of pages.

Maybe I just need to see one of the old VG & CE issues again, to refresh my memory. If anybody has any from the early 90's that they would like to send me, then PM me for my address!

As far as the English magazines go, I think that they have some awesome mags over there. That new magazine "GAMES tm" is pretty freaking amazing if you ask me.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Droodroo

D
    They are the best videogames magazine in existence at the moment by a very long way, which shows how bad all of the other magazines are, especially as it's far from its best.
    Conform. Consume. Obey.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that the English are leading the pack on gaming magazines right now. What's that new one.. it even has a large retro section that is practically a magazine in itself.
    I like the artistic layouts for Play, but they are a little too drooly over t&a. Anime, game, movie, whatever... they make sure they have a good boob shot to illustrate how beautiful it is x_x
    If you're looking for solid but artistic, retrospective and innovative, somber and playful- I would check out 1-Up. It's a zine, but a very very good one. http://www.1up-zine.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chocobokick
    I agree that the English are leading the pack on gaming magazines right now. What's that new one.. it even has a large retro section that is practically a magazine in itself.
    I like the artistic layouts for Play, but they are a little too drooly over t&a. Anime, game, movie, whatever... they make sure they have a good boob shot to illustrate how beautiful it is x_x
    If you're looking for solid but artistic, retrospective and innovative, somber and playful- I would check out 1-Up. It's a zine, but a very very good one. http://www.1up-zine.com
    I think the English one that you are talking about with the large Retro Section is GAMES tm.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Noooooooooooooo.... the best video game magazine I have ever seen was called Super Play. It was a UK magazine that covered only Super Nintendo and had wonderful, unique artwork for every issue. They didn't bullshit or mince their words when it came to reviewing games. If a game was crap, they said so. In fact, I think I can recall Pit Fighter scoring 7%. lol

I am sure that some UK folks will remember Super Play. It ran for a few years and, at it's peak, was Britain's most popular magazine covering the SNES.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only gaming magazine I have ever had ws NP. During my 1 year subscription (around 1998-1999), I got those goddamn Pokemon comics inside them. I think that I still have them all.

I wish that I could have been able to renew the subscription to that, but I was broke and couldn't afford it at the time. Ah well...
    Currently Playing: Day of Defeat (PC)

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all outta gum."
    -Duke Nukem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ongakuhenjin
    PSN
    ongakuhito

Two words: Sega Visions.

Sure, it made Nintendo Power look like a hardcore gaming magazine, but it had the right price.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

VG&CE, early Die Hard GF, and very early EGM. I also liked Super Gaming, a spinoff of EGM, because they covered nothing but imports. I don't know how long it lasted, though, or if it was just a special. I found out about Crisis Force through that mag.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I agree with Xpert Gamer... man, they had great game guides. I still have a couple issues laying around, and one is a bit of a Holy Grail... Full guides for Suikoden II, Final Fantasy Anthology, and a complete move list for Soul Calibur. Excellent mag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    For some reason I also remember VG & CE as always having pretty skinny magazines, in terms of number of pages.

Maybe I just need to see one of the old VG & CE issues again, to refresh my memory. If anybody has any from the early 90's that they would like to send me, then PM me for my address!
    For the second part, you wish is my command

VG&CE DID start out thin, but got thicker about half way through their life span and then tapered down toward the end.

Here are my top five of all time. Not freakin', but still all time :

VG&CE: The magazine that got me interested in IBM PC/Compatible gaming. Great pictures, solid articles, good strategy guides-this mag had it all. I started with issue 1 and was a regular reader until maybe a year or so before it changed/went off the shelf. It was also the first magazine where I first heard about the Vectrex-it was mentioned in a Game Doctor's article amptly titled "The Maltese Vectrex".

Game Player's: Another great magazine. The magazine was very high quality for the longest time with the solid spine rather than staples (they eventually went to staples, though). Not the best pictures, but it still had some good articles and was sure to touch every game platform with it's own section. They also released many player's and buyer's guides over time which were usually pretty good information wise, but stank photo wise.

the "old" EGM: This mag had CONTENT and pretty much holds the crown for largest issues back in its heydey. It also had some of the best ads you really wouldn't find elsewhere, namely in the realm of Japanese imports. The reviews were probably my favorite: it listed each reviewer and their likes/dislikes. This way you could gauge better if you might like a game or not by finding the reviewer with the most similar tastes. Quartermann was always a fun read with his gaming gossip and rumor mill. Then there were the ads. Lots of them. BUT, I seemed to really enjoy checking out those ads and I still do today.

Nintendo Power: Okay, it's not the best in journalism nor was it the pinnacle of gaming objectivity, but where else could you get the skinny on NES games when the Big N was the talk of the town? I started reading the Nintendo Fun Club Newsletter and I did jump on board right when Nintendo Power was introduced (got a free Legend of Zelda guide-great reading!). The reviews and articles pretty much read that everything was going to be the cat's meow but it didn't seem to matter. It was Nintendo, it was cool.

GMR: Over the years I have read other mags like Gamepro, Next Generation, PC Gamer, Game Informer, the "Official" [console] magazines and they didn't do anything for me (except for the free demos from the official mags). When I started getting GMR magazine after I got my EB Edge card, I was pleasantly surprised. Decent articles, good photos, a good bit of objectivity, a nod to the retro, and the Gaming Geezer easily take this magazine to the top 5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never really read VG+CE so here's my top 5:

Next Gen

Gamer's Republic

Nintendo Power

PC Gamer

Game Fan
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

About 5 years ago, there was a mag called Pocket Gamer. It was an exciting time for Handheld gamers, as the market seemed to expanding, and Pocket Gamer was in the thick of it. There were dedicated sections for Gameboy, NGPC, and a couple others if I remember correctly, although it may have just been the different Gameboys. Each issue had a pretty sizable review section, and a review archive, which I particularly liked. Unfortunately, the NGPC failed and the handheld market became a one horse show, again.

neuropolitique