Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What games you liked, but can't stand anymore.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Default What games you liked, but can't stand anymore.

Died of Disentary.
    I loved Oregon Trail as a kid. And with the mind of an optimistic child, I thought of how cool it would be to see such a great game on the gameboy someday.

Fast foward to today and I think. What the hell was wrong with me? I tried so many times after playing the NES, SEGA and so forth to play O.T. and everytime it revealed its evil to me. Its a lesson game on hiw to manage things. And I realized I managed to get mario and qix. Why would I ever go back?

So what games did you play that you can never go back to?

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I absolutely looooved the first X-Men game Sega made for the Genesis as a kid, even though I rarely got past the Shi'ar city level, now I can't stand that game. X-Men 2 holds up well, though. Also, Primal Rage and Eternal Champions. Both control schemes are just a mess.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I put a lot of time into Aero the Acrobat when I was a kid. I tried it again a couple years ago and hated it. I think I liked it better as a kid because my game selection was rather small.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

As a kid, I loved the Godzilla Game Boy game. Now I'm older and wiser and I can't stand it. I was so happy when the AVGN mentioned it in his Godzilla episode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a few of those, most of which are notoriously crappy. I still own all of these, and I don't loathe them as much as some do, it's just...they were fun once, but did not hold up on re-examining for me

And here they are:

Atari VCS -
    E.T. (I know how to play it properly and beat it, just...eh)
    Pac Man (once I played the actual arcade version, which didn't happen until much later, since I had the Atari from the time I was born, I just couldn't like this version very much anymore)

NES-
    Friday the 13th.
    Fester's Quest
    Nightmare on Elm St.
    Dick Tracy.
    Amagon

SNES-
    The Mask (seriously...oi vey)
    Super Strike Eagle (This one I think I can chalk up to the way some Mode7 hasn't held up)

Arcade/Genesis
    Time Killers

As a bonus, a game it seems most people like that I really have never cared for:
    SNES Killer Instinct (It feels sluggish and unresponsive to me. Just never liked it. Plus finishing moves? Forget it.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Defender for the Atari 2600.

It's just like the arcade, if you lobotomized all the enemies and hacked the game so that it ran it slow motion. The sprite flicker is a bit worse than Pac-Man, but it's also a gameplay feature - since your ship can't appear in the same animation frames as your giant rainbow laser of death, if you're really good, you can time your shots to avoid being hit...

Or you could just hide off-screen until you're forced to fire a shot of your own.

In order to force all of the arcade's action into a one fire button control scheme, Atari created safe zones from which you could launch smart bombs or risk a hyperspace warp - the enemies can't touch you. The end result of all these compromises is a shmup that's less about reptile brain reflexes, and more about choosing when to attack. There's been nothing like it since. I loved it more than the original arcade game. Especially since the cities at night were easier to relate to than the original's mountains in space.

In my mind, this slow, broken, flickering mess was every bit as epic as the picture Atari drew for the cart. I genuinely cared about the little blocks I was sent to protect. I knew each of my lives by name.

But time passed, and RPGs offered the stories I once made up for my games. The 2600's version of Defender was replaced by Stargate, then by the Gameboy port, the Genesis port (as part of a compilation), and the PS2 emulation. In my mind, the 2600 Defender was still superior to all of them.

Until I had the chance to play it again.

It didn't seem like the same game. The enemies could barely even defend themselves. My first death only came when I forgot to pay attention. It just couldn't grab me the way it used to. Through a child's eyes it was humanity's last lonely stand, but as an adult, I could only see a bad port that should have never been sold as a finished game.

I stopped playing. Best to preserve the memories. Maybe one day, someone will create an updated version of Atari's version of Defender...but I doubt it. And maybe that's for the best. Because there's the kind of mind that creates good games, and there's the kind of mind that can claim the giant pixel mountains are cities, and obsess over creating the best looking laser, no matter what the cost. Without that wild creative streak, what's the point of making one more version of Defender?

Press Select to Start Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yo Noid!!!!

This was my first NES cart, along with the Mario/Duck Hunt combo cart, and man i remember putting so many hours into that sub-par platformer, which was basically a playable Domino's ad.

I still pop it in from time to time, the platforming is most assuredly mediocre and the whole "pizza eating battles" with the stage bosses kills it for me nowadays. Don't know how i played it so much growing up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

Spiderman vs. X-Men: Arcade's Revenge. I used to think the controls were so cool, how you could shoot your web on any platform, swing anywhere with ease... I would explore for hours. Now that I look back on it, the controls are horrendous, the level design doesn't even make sense (there is litterally a sewer in the middle of a wall as big as a nearby building ABOVE GROUND), and everything else doesn't honor the comics at all.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Bubsy I and II, but moreso the second one.

When I was a little kid, my heroes were Aero the Acro-Bat and Bubsy the Bobcat. No, my childhood was not sad or pathetic, but I did often like the strangest things. I even told all my friends that Aero could kick Sonic's ass... aaaaanyway, so yeah, I used to really be into Bubsy, to the point where I would play the first game again and again, and could even beat it in a straight run, losing very few lives, and had all the stages and one-liners and animations memorized.

When I heard Bubsy II was out, I had to have it. New levels, new gags, new playable characters, and you could take three hits now? I was down with the sickness! Sadly, even at the time, I realized Bubsy II was an inferior sequel. Bubsy just didn't seem to have the cartoony charm that made him so lovable in the first game, and the new characters and plot were honestly kinda lame compared to part one's Woolies.

To me, the first game is still kinda-playable and a lot of fun, for the whimsical atmosphere if nothing else. But that being said, I now understand why Bubsy is such a maligned mascot. It's a wonder I was able to put up with these games as a kid, let alone finish them. The second one especially when from being disappointing to being just outright dull.

On a more minor note: Xenogears. It went from being one of my favorite RPGs to being an example of everything that's wrong with RPGs.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Winter Games for NES. I think the Olympics had just happened, it was my birthday, and just look how rad the Neon line guy is on the cover! I'm sure my brother and sister tried to talk me out of it, but failed. Anyway, I knew it wasn't fun to play, I'm sure, but figured it was just cause I wasn't good enough at it, which was true for me of other games at the time as I was on the young side. I played that game so damn much. I even managed to get Gold on figure skating. Fucking figure skating. Everything you do makes you land on your ass. Push a button. Land on ass. Push left. Land on ass. So yeah, I was determined to the point of succeeding at 'loving' the game as a kid. But it just plain blows.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Horsehead's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" for the NES isn't as fun as I remember it to be.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Quote Originally Posted by Horsehead View Post
    "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" for the NES isn't as fun as I remember it to be.

I Loved that game. I played it a while back after reading one of the old Nintendo Power Mags that had the maps and review for it. To me the nostalgia factor still holds it up. Although I think most games I have played have lost the "it" factor, only because I am not playing it for the first time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah the nostalgia is definitely there.

On a random note, one game that I played recently and found to be just as fun (if not more fun) was "Ducktales" for the NES. I'm pretty sure it's one of my favorite games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sure and it wouldn't be a short list. For me it is easier to more or less put it in genres. I've grown very fed up with racing games, RPGs roughly over 30 hours, and most FPS games. Racing feels like a rerun or you have poor design compensating with cheap rubberbanding AI. FPS games are drowning out variety all being COD me too type crap with yearly rehash. RPGs are ok but I haven't the time for a long one anymore plus after x hours I tend to forget the story which removes my caring to play it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The WWF games for the SNES. How did I even play that trash?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Sativa View Post
    The WWF games for the SNES. How did I even play that trash?
    I tried to play one of the SNES WWF games recently (can't remember the exact one) and had to turn it off just because of the fact that most of those wrestlers had died. Kind of a weird assault on my childhood. Anyway, I hate the original Sim City for SNES now. I think it's because of the fact that I have played games like that with a mouse for so many years that I have a hard time playing that type of game with a SNES controller. I didn't have a computer during my SNES days so that is what I knew.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Bubsy I and II, but moreso the second one.
    I LOVED Bubsy back in the day, now, I can't play it all.

Same thing like Road Runner on the SNES. I dont get the fun of it anymore...and I used to love it.

in all honestly, I like playing these old games but I can't stomach them for more than 10 or 15 mnutes anymore. its weird to look back and remember when I could have sat there for hours on end with one game. I get frustrated so quickly with them now.
    Last edited by bigbacon; 09-23-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I suppose almost anything on the older consoles like the Atari 2600 and Intellivision. There are only a few games, like Keystone Capers and Pitfall! that I still enjoy today (if they're put in front of me). Other than those games, I honestly can't think of many games that I liked but hate now.

I suppose I was always pretty discriminating. Honestly, all of those Atari era games I really only played because they were the best I could experience at home. I knew that they were mostly shit even then, but I was desperate for electronic entertainment back in the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I suppose almost anything on the older consoles like the Atari 2600 and Intellivision. There are only a few games, like Keystone Capers and Pitfall! that I still enjoy today (if they're put in front of me). Other than those games, I honestly can't think of many games that I liked but hate now.

I suppose I was always pretty discriminating. Honestly, all of those Atari era games I really only played because they were the best I could experience at home. I knew that they were mostly shit even then, but I was desperate for electronic entertainment back in the day.
    I feel the same way about anything that predates the NES. There are exceptions, such as "Space Invaders" and "Pacman" (who doesn't love pacman). I imagine I feel that way about the older consoles due to the fact that the NES was my first gaming experience and I wasn't even alive for anything prior. Heh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy IV (or II, when it came out in the U.S. for the SNES). I played that through several times and never thought I'd get tired of it...

...but I did.

I few years ago, I bought the Nintendo DS remake of it, and halfway through, just got bored and stopped playing (right after the scene where Tellah buys it).