Thread: Snes Tray Differences? Where to Buy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

Default Snes Tray Differences? Where to Buy?

Okay, so I've seen two different types of SNES game trays in my lifetime.

One of them, like this one:

I really like these rectangular ones that hold the carts firmly in place.

But whenever I want to buy more of these on ebay, all I find are these crappy ones:

Where can I buy the nice ones? Any and all help is appreciated.

~goob47

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I'm pretty sure the ones you like are the older kind of trays and the ones you don't like are the newer kind that came with later releases and Player's Choice re-releases.

With the older kind, the games came with hard plastic dust covers. With the newer kind, the games came with plastic bags over the carts instead of dust covers.

You will often find mismatched complete games on ebay because everyone likes those plastic dust covers better than the bags.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 10-02-2013 at 06:52 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

Sigh... So you're saying it could be like NBA Jam for the Sega CD where I could just buy a cheap older game and just use the tray? I'd be willing to do that...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by goob47 View Post
    Sigh... So you're saying it could be like NBA Jam for the Sega CD where I could just buy a cheap older game and just use the tray? I'd be willing to do that...
    Yeah possibly the Madden games would be some of the cheapest I would imagine.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the ones you like are the older kind of trays and the ones you don't like are the newer kind that came with later releases and Player's Choice re-releases.

With the older kind, the games came with hard plastic dust covers. With the newer kind, the games came with plastic bags over the carts instead of dust covers.

You will often find mismatched complete games on ebay because everyone likes those plastic dust covers better than the bags.
    They all came in bags, dust cover or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think the use of the tray inside was a bit random over time, but initially the four sided tray was where it started. All games had baggies though, everything on a cartridge from Nintendo through the end of the GBA were in baggies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also preferred the look of the catridge when it was more thicker at the end. Later games became more thin which I didnt really like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well blame stupid, lazy and irresponsible people who blame anyone but themselves for the clamshell change. The big reason I remember cited back in the day was that on the original run of the systems that eject mechanism had this plastic lock for that spot. Morons would pull the game out of there without using it usually damaging the system in the process after doing it enough. Of course it was Nintendo's fault for poor build quality and not just being an abusive idiot with your system. About that time the eco hippies at greenpeace started attacking Nintendo and others for their waste of plastics and what not, so they saved a little bit of plastic in each system and cart by removing those parts and it stopped the whining of abusive cart rippers. I prefer the original style too along with the dust sleeves which also were a victim of this junk with greenpeace harassment (as were GB cases.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Well blame stupid, lazy and irresponsible people who blame anyone but themselves for the clamshell change. The big reason I remember cited back in the day was that on the original run of the systems that eject mechanism had this plastic lock for that spot. Morons would pull the game out of there without using it usually damaging the system in the process after doing it enough. Of course it was Nintendo's fault for poor build quality and not just being an abusive idiot with your system. About that time the eco hippies at greenpeace started attacking Nintendo and others for their waste of plastics and what not, so they saved a little bit of plastic in each system and cart by removing those parts and it stopped the whining of abusive cart rippers. I prefer the original style too along with the dust sleeves which also were a victim of this junk with greenpeace harassment (as were GB cases.)
    It wasn't done to save plastic, that's for sure. I can't recall off the top of my head, but I have weighed the two different shells before with this very thing in mind and I believe the difference was about 1-2 grams at most, which is virtually zero savings. I'll have to dig up my scale...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hey I just remember Nintendo's spin back in the day is all. Even if it is just 1-2 grams of plastic, and also cutting out those dust jackets too, they can then go back to those greenpeace rats and say they did something. It was all about appeasing I think and I'm sure not making all the dust sleeves saved some dough.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Hey I just remember Nintendo's spin back in the day is all. Even if it is just 1-2 grams of plastic, and also cutting out those dust jackets too, they can then go back to those greenpeace rats and say they did something. It was all about appeasing I think and I'm sure not making all the dust sleeves saved some dough.
    And now we have "eco cases" with half the plastic missing so you can practically stick your finger through the case. Damn hippies.

I also remember reading that the whole reason Sega switched Genesis cases from plastic to cardboard was to appease the environazis, and it actually cost them more per box than the old ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    And now we have "eco cases" with half the plastic missing so you can practically stick your finger through the case. Damn hippies.

I also remember reading that the whole reason Sega switched Genesis cases from plastic to cardboard was to appease the environazis, and it actually cost them more per box than the old ones.
    does it do less harm to manufacture cardboard than plastic? I am all for sustainable production but it seems like media cases is the last place you would want to target--most of them stay inside, on a shelf somewhere, and only a small percentage would be thrown away. now plastic bottles, jugs, and packaging on food products is where we get into trouble

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    it seems like media cases is the last place you would want to target--most of them stay inside, on a shelf somewhere, and only a small percentage would be thrown away.
    Yeah, it never made sense to me, since while I kept all my NES/SNES/GB cardboard boxes a staggering number of kids just threw them away, but everyone I knew who had a Genesis kept all their plastic cases. If you're going to keep it, who cares how easy it is to recycle? But (assuming what I read was correct) that's hardly the weirdest decision made at Sega in those years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post

The reason we have "eco cases" is to get the gross carton shipping weight down to fall in line with required emissions standards for transporting goods. I hate them myself but it's a way for manufacturers to shave weight off each pallet during distribution.