Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone purchase a 2DS as of yet?

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone purchase a 2DS as of yet?

I'm still torn on getting a 3DS XL for the bigger screen or the 2DS because I could care less about the 3D and the system looks really cool (despite the smaller screen). Anyone here own a 2DS or spend any time playing it? If so, how does the console feel and is it of a good build quality?

I really want the bigger screen but I keep hearing that the 2DS' screen is sharper and is plenty big for long-term gaming, the main complaint I keep hearing is the speaker. I'm just interested in getting everyone's feedback on the 2DS to see if maybe that's the route I should take.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can leave the 3D off on the XL if its that big a deal to you.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

World Class Internet User Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking about getting my Dad a 2DS, but then someone here mentioned Nintendo offering refurbished regular 3DS systems for $120 (which ended up as $130 after shipping and taxes), so I got a regular 3DS for the same price. It comes with everything the new systems do, including a box (the only difference is it says refurbished console on the bottom), and the system was in flawless condition. I don't think it comes with a Club Nintendo code though, because the product description doesn't list it and I don't think I ever saw it when I unboxed it.

Now they've just reduced the price to $110, so for $10 less you can get a regular 3DS is in or near mint condition straight from Nintendo. I think that's a better deal than the 2DS, unless you really hate 3D for some reason (some people say it hurts their eyes, but it works the same way real 3D does). I'm not gonna lie, the 3DS (XL) I have got me addicted to 3D.

Though, over both, I'd definitely recommend the XL. Those screens are fantastic, and while it's still slightly uncomfortable to me, it's far better than the regular 3DS. The SP started the trend of the overly thin Nintendo handhelds due to the clamshell design, unfortunately. I am curious about the 2DS' comfort though, since it looks a bit thicker where the buttons are located.
    Last edited by Metalwario64; 10-18-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I can't recommend the 2DS mainly because then you can't turn on 3D to see the hidden coins in Super Mario 3D Land. Good luck getting 100% in Super Mario 3D Land with no 3D option.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I would never buy a non-clamshell when a clamshell version is available. I like to keep my screens unscratched, and it's a lot more work doing that with non-clamshells.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    I'm still torn on getting a 3DS XL for the bigger screen or the 2DS because I could care less about the 3D and the system looks really cool (despite the smaller screen). Anyone here own a 2DS or spend any time playing it? If so, how does the console feel and is it of a good build quality?

I really want the bigger screen but I keep hearing that the 2DS' screen is sharper and is plenty big for long-term gaming, the main complaint I keep hearing is the speaker. I'm just interested in getting everyone's feedback on the 2DS to see if maybe that's the route I should take.
    If you can wait a month, there should be deals on the 3DS, 3DSXL and 2DS from various retailers for Black Friday. In the UK it looks like Nintendo did a 99 pound promo for the 2DS, so that might mean a $100 2DS for the holidays here along with discounts on the other models. Also, there will be a gold Zelda 3DSXL for $220 at Gamestop and other retailers with a download voucher for the new game included.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DiEsmitty
    PSN
    DiEsmitty

There's rumored to be a special edition Year of Luigi coming for the 2ds,I will probably get this one for myself since the wife is always playing animal crossing on my XL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I can't recommend the 2DS mainly because then you can't turn on 3D to see the hidden coins in Super Mario 3D Land. Good luck getting 100% in Super Mario 3D Land with no 3D option.
    They're not invisible when it's set to 2D. I was able to 100% it just fine despite being legally blind in one eye and not being able to take advantage of the 3D effect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I was going to get a 2DS until I discovered it had the smaller screen. I love the layout of the 2DS and it looks super comfotable. I don't really care about the 3d but I want a nice big screen. So instead of waiting for a 2DS XL to happen, last weekend I happened across the pokemon edition 3DS XL and snapped it up.

I only have Super Mario 3D Land, but I downloaded most of the demos in the eshop and am really enjoying the system so far!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DiEsmitty
    PSN
    DiEsmitty

I saw today on joystiq where the year of Luigi 2ds was fan made, so that sucks. Guess I will get the Luigi 3ds XL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^^ sorry about that

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    They're not invisible when it's set to 2D. I was able to 100% it just fine despite being legally blind in one eye and not being able to take advantage of the 3D effect.
    I'm talking about that one room where you can't see around the blocks to get to the coin but when you set it to 3D you can see your position under them because the perspective changes.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Being in the same boat and thinking all this time that it would be have to be a deal breaker, this is welcome news.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

My youngest son(8) wants one for Christmas, and I was like why? I will get you a 3DS. It never popped in my head, but he said yeah dad, but I keep breaking those flip systems where they fold. He did break 2 DS systems at the folding points with armor cases on by dropping them. So I see his thinking. Makes since. So he will be getting one for Christmas.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a 2DS for my nieces. I haven't heard of the screen being sharper but it doesn't surprise me because it looks very nice. My 3ds Xl kills my hands during extended play and I usually have to rest my hands on something. The 2DS definitely has a good feel to it and is not so top heavy so I don't think you would have that problem. Despite that I personally would wait and get the recently announced Zelda 3DS XL .

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ended up with the 3DS XL and I'm happy I did, the bigger screen is a godsend and the overall feel of the unit is really quite amazing. I can see why the 3DS is blowing away all of the other video game machines in sales right now, it's simply amazing!
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Ninty dropped 2DS's MSRP to 100 USD. Anyone willing to pick up a Nintendo 2DS for a C-bill?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Ninty dropped 2DS's MSRP to 100 USD. Anyone willing to pick up a Nintendo 2DS for a C-bill?
    Weren't they sold at many retailers at that price anyway?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Weren't they sold at many retailers at that price anyway?
    I bought mine a year or two ago (just before Link Between Worlds came out, however long ago that was) for that price. At the time, it was still cheaper than buying a broken 3DS and repairing one/both screens.

The 3D made me want to barf, and if I got a more expensive model (regular 3DS/XL) with the feature, I'd still feel inclined to use it since I essentially payed for it, however asanine that sounds.

The 2DS is an ok model really, doesn't look as stupid as pictures tend to make it, but it really doesn't fit in any of my pockets and there's no screen protection if you do manage. I tried the *new* 3DS and the "head tracking" 3D or whatever is really nice and didn't make me sick so if I had the option now I'd probably end up getting that one over the 2DS though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    It's better to wait and get it on clearance. They aren't selling that well. I'm sure you will be able to find them for $50 or so within the next year, probably around Black Friday.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.