Thread: Remove The Original Xbox Clock Capacitor!

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation Remove The Original Xbox Clock Capacitor!

So it turns out the capacitor (2.5V 1F) that keeps time in the original Xbox seems to have a 100% failure rate.

I took apart a close to launch model Xbox version 1.0 motherboard manufactured 11-29-2001 and it was fine but had started to corrode, I took it off. I then took apart my main Xbox the Halo Special Edition Green transparent console manufactured 02-13-2004 with a version 1.4 motherboard and long behold it was spraying blue liquid everywhere near the capacitor, luckily it wasn't much and I removed it as well.

The good thing is if you have motherboards versions 1.0 through 1.5 you can either de-solderer or just rip the thing off the motherboard and it will function fine without it. Only thing is if you unplug it or have a power failure the time will have to be reset which is no big deal.

Motherboard Version 1.6 however will not run without this cap it seems so it will have to be replaced and monitored in the future.

You could also replace all versions with a new capacitor or a super capacitor with a higher rating to have more clock time when unplugged but it will eventually fail in the future as well, so might as well keep it off unless you have a version 1.6 motherboard.

If your wondering what version motherboard you have and have your Xbox open you can check it out on Xbox Scene http://www.xbox-scene.com/versions_1.php

Thanks to lukemorse1 on YouTube for bringing this to my attention. You can see his how to video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cdR8Ryn4wE

Just another thing to keep in mind with anyone that keeps up maintenance on their original Xbox's. Thought I would share.
    Last edited by alec006; 11-17-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

All electrolytic capacitors have a 100% failure rate given enough time. This one just seems to fail a bit faster than the rest inside the thing.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

batteries have a 100% failure rate aswell.

pretty much if it stores juice it cant do so with out some sort of internal wear unless completely discharged and even then its possible that it will leak or corrode.
    just part of the process.
    "super" caps have the same problem just a longer life span, basicly what capacitors would have been before if they weren't inherently manufactured in mass with a defect in the blueprint and/or chemical composition for so long

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    All electrolytic capacitors have a 100% failure rate given enough time. This one just seems to fail a bit faster than the rest inside the thing.

You're right Ape, all capacitors will eventually fail at some time in their lives. The main reason I pointed this out is being that since this capacitor has a highfarad value, uses a lot of energy just for a clock circuit and is used very often it's most likely to fail way before any others do. And being that most people either don't care about the date and time or can reset it easily it's just better to remove that capacitor all together and not have to worry about it bursting in the near future.

What sucks is the corrosion from it can damage vital parts of the motherboard required for normal operation, so not only do we have to worry about hard drives and optical drives, we have to worry about that particular capacitor for the time being to keep the original Xbox running since its one of the first to most likely go out.

Of course sadly people that have a version 1.6 motherboard have to have that capacitor for normal operation, so they would have to monitor it more closely or get another version Xbox.

Now does that mean we don't have to worry about other caps on the board no, not at all. Those however should in theory last longer if we are lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    batteries have a 100% failure rate aswell.

pretty much if it stores juice it cant do so with out some sort of internal wear unless completely discharged and even then its possible that it will leak or corrode.
    just part of the process.
    "super" caps have the same problem just a longer life span, basicly what capacitors would have been before if they weren't inherently manufactured in mass with a defect in the blueprint and/or chemical composition for so long
    Very true, sadly thou my Sega CD battery is still in tact but being it's 21 years old I should remove it soon.
    Last edited by alec006; 11-18-2013 at 11:45 AM.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

It does have a shorter life span by a considerable amount. I looked for a replacement on Digi-Key and the lifespan at 70°C is a mere 1000 hours. Most capacitors are rated at 105°C and extend well beyond 1000 hours.

Probably has to do with it being a full farad as well as being considered a "supercap".
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The clock cap. is the leading cause of faulting original Xboxes.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive removed mine already and actually just leave it out all together since my xbox actually get used time to time. I'd rather set the clock every now and then instead of having a dead xbox.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey everyone i found this thread through a google search, anyway i just installed a chip on my v1.4 xbox and it works great, however the clock cap had leaked sometime in the past and from the way it looked it happened sometime before i got it, anyway i removed it and cleaned it up and while i was cleaning a part came off the motherboard, from what i can tell it came from R7F9 on the board, now i put it back together and plugged it in and it works fine no issues but im just wondering if something like this has happend to anyone else cause of the clock cap?