Thread: Super Retro Advance Adapter indepth Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If going the Super Game Boy route is out, I'd still be interested if they ever make a standalone Game Boy Advance console. Especially if an option for original aspect ratio and using Y & B was provided, S-Video or perhaps even component out was present, and they didn't limit the user to using a controller included with the device since I'd want to use something like an original SuperNes controller.

Of course my GameCube with Game Boy Player already does that since the disc never leaves the drive, but the concept grabs me enough where I'd want to check it out where as this halfway approach they did here just turns me off unlike if it was a full GBA equivalent of the Super Game Boy or a full console.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    However, I was able to get several GameBoy and GameBoy Color games working
    Were they running on a Game Boy emulator running off the GBA hardware? I presume so since I think it was you that told me that there wasn't a dedicated GB/GBC flash cart a few years ago.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-23-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    If going the Super Game Boy route is out, I'd still be interested if they ever make a standalone Game Boy Advance console. Especially if an option for original aspect ratio and using Y & B was provided, S-Video or perhaps even component out was present, and they didn't limit the user to using a controller included with the device since I'd want to use something like an original SuperNes controller.
    I see what you're saying, but I think a standalone GBA clone is more of a fantasy than something that Retro-Bit will ever actually make. In fact, if they did ever make a standalone clone, you can expect it to have none of what you just said. maintains the 3:2 aspect ratio no matter what? Nope. Uses a Y and B button layout? Well, maybe, if they designed their own controller. Anything other than composite? Unlikely. Use original SNES controllers? Highly doubtful, but even if they did, they'd do the B and A control again.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Were they running on a Game Boy emulator running off the GBA hardware? I presume so since I think it was you that told me that there wasn't a dedicated GB/GBC flash cart a few years ago.
    Yes, through the flashcart. Sorry if that was confusing, I thought it was clear. I guess author's fail maybe?
    Last edited by Satoshi_Matrix; 11-23-2013 at 10:42 PM.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't expect a standalone GBA. Rather, I was explaining what I would buy.

Since that's exactly what my GameCube is these days, I don't need such a thing and it would never replace the real hardware. But such a thing would get my curiosity going which is the only reason I have any interest in this thing (A feeling I suspect you can well understand judging by threads like this and your YouTube channel).

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Yes, through the flashcart. Sorry if that was confusing, I thought it was clear. I guess author's fail maybe?
    It wasn't confusing, just was seeking confirmation that it was indeed emulation like I thought and that you weren't able to somehow interface this thing directly to a Game Boy or Game Boy Color rom image via your GBA flash cartridge or for some bizarre reason were able to make it interact with a GB/GBC flash cartridge (If one existed?) where it did nothing with the actual standalone retail cartridges.

Do you happen to have Activision Anthology around? I'd be curious to see how that one panned out or any of the NES Classic/Famicom Mini lineup or similar commercial emulation releases like the Capcom collection. Partly to see how well they translate and partly to see what you think about how they look when this expands them back to their original 4:3 proportions on a CRT.

Not only are they a good stress test of this (As is any emulator), but I imagine the missing horizontal lines of resolution on the NES releases (Done of course to adapt a 4:3 game to a 3:2 AR) will provide a rather strange appearance on the big screen and running in full 4:3.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-23-2013 at 11:38 PM.