Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Super Retro Advance Adapter indepth Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I think I remember that one when I was shopping for a GBA Flashcart a few years ago. I recall they needed to be hooked up to a computer through a USB cable, had some funky firmware and severe limitations.
    The EZ-Flash IV takes mini SD cards (I'll admit that's a little odd) and generally works just peachy.

I have observed – and this might be corroborated with others – that it seems to have an unusually high power draw; specifically, when I use it on a GBA SP, the power light tends to blink from green to red with alarming frequency. Perhaps this is related.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yeah. Lower end flashcarts consume more current than higher end flashcarts and commercial games. I don't own an E-Z flash, but based on that, I would guess you would probably get only half the battery life from that compared to the m3 perfect SD.

It's likely that the current draw exceeds what the SNES cartridge port can provide and thus that particular flashcart crashes. That's a limitation of the SNES, not the SRA.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default EZ Flash IV

The EZ Flash IV is actually one of the most desirable flash carts for GBA enthusiasts now - largely because it boasts 100% GBA compatibility, and sits flush with the GBA in the cart slot, unlike the M3 Perfect... but also because you can still buy it today. I replaced my SuperCard with it years ago because it played Mother 3 perfectly, actually... when I first played through Mother 3, it was via a SuperCard SD and I had to save-state through the hole thing, which felt wrong

I don't know anything about the EZIV being "low end" or not, just that it plays every game I throw at it, and that, like my Mother 3 repro, it does not work with the SRA. Alas! I have one of those Hori SNES-style controllers for my GBP and an S-Video cable that makes everything look marvelous on my HDTV... plus the audio leads are hooked up to my receiver so I get nice, deep, rich sound. I guess I will just learn to ignore the stupid "Z Button for Options" overlay.

Also, a friend I made recently offered to give me his GameCube component cable when he can get it back from his friend in another state, so, that's another reason for me to stick with the GBP. Hopefully retro-bit makes another revision of the SRA with better video output (s-video or component)... not holding my breath, but I'd be glad to test that version too because this is definitely a product I want. It just doesn't work for me currently.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah. Lower end flashcarts consume more current than higher end flashcarts and commercial games. I don't own an E-Z flash, but based on that, I would guess you would probably get only half the battery life from that compared to the m3 perfect SD.

It's likely that the current draw exceeds what the SNES cartridge port can provide and thus that particular flashcart crashes. That's a limitation of the SNES, not the SRA.
    I get the technical reasons you're saying this, but it's hard for me to consider this anything but a fault of the SRA, since the SRA is the only GBA hardware - clone or otherwise (I've only tried one other) - I've ever tried that doesn't work perfectly with every game, flash cart, etc. I own. And as I've mentioned previously, I can't find anyone at retro-bit/Innex to actually discuss these things with. I don't like Hyperkin's products, but I've at least been able to have conversations with those guys about their shortcomings.

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As the GBA adaptor outputs the video and audio by its own board, it means the unit takes the voltage from the SNES as well as the controller actions - is it possible to bypass the SNES altogether and just identify the components used by the GBA adaptor to make a controller work - for example, can you tap onto the GBA adaptor directly for the d-pad and buttons or do you have to use the SNES console?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    [response]
    nulsilver, I'm sorry you didn't like the SRA. You do good reviews and I have as much respect as I hope you do for me. It's just that you and I reach totally different conclusions on this matter.

I love my M3 Perfect. It works on the SRA. I can't comment about the E-Z flash or other flashcarts. I don't own a Mother 3 repro, but it works perfectly on my SRA.

It would be nice if the SRA did S-Video or RGB, but again....the composite video signal is extremely strong and vivid. Complaining about it only being composite is the retro gaming equivalent to all the next gen gamers who are complaining about that call of duty game only supporting 720p on Xbox One.

Quote Originally Posted by bacteria View Post
    As the GBA adaptor outputs the video and audio by its own board, it means the unit takes the voltage from the SNES as well as the controller actions - is it possible to bypass the SNES altogether and just identify the components used by the GBA adaptor to make a controller work - for example, can you tap onto the GBA adaptor directly for the d-pad and buttons or do you have to use the SNES console?
    You know, I have no idea. I'm not that skilled of a hacker/modder. I do know that the button mapping is stored on a custom chip. Ace has mentioned that if that could be dumped, then the mappings could be altered rather than hacking a controller as I've done.

Keep in mind it's NTSC only, but by all means, if you buy one I'd love to hear if you can turn it into a standalone console that works without the SNES.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nulsilver, I'm sorry you didn't like the SRA. You do good reviews and I have as much respect as I hope you do for me.
    Sure do. Love your stuff. Keep it up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you taken pictures of the inside of the adapter?
    The picture on the first page is from Tototek website and is linked to the AD adapter, not the SRA.
    I believe they are the same thing with a different label but still curious.

I have the AD adapter but not the SRA.
    In the review you say it outputs stereo sound. This got me curious as I had to mod the AD adapter to get stereo. Otherwise it outputs mirrored mono.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I think the AD Adapter is an older revision of the SRA. The two are very similar.

Now you've got me curious. I said it outputs stereo, but that may be an error and it might be like you say and it produces dual mono.

What's a good GBA game to test stereo sound with? I want to check that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the AD Adapter is an older revision of the SRA. The two are very similar.

Now you've got me curious. I said it outputs stereo, but that may be an error and it might be like you say and it produces dual mono.

What's a good GBA game to test stereo sound with? I want to check that.
    The intro of super mario advance 2 (port of super mario world.. ) Is an easy one to hear stereo. As the drum roll starts during the intro it has a very clear panning effect. Then the bass is also clearly panned.
    You might also do something simpler as connect the AV cable to the SRA and check resistance between the L and R channel with a multimeter. On my AD adapter the outputs were bridged right at the end so you would get full continuity.

In any case if you could take a detailed picture of the PCB in your SRA this would answer many questions. I itch to compare both options but I do not feel like throwing the 50$ for the SRA just to check the motherboard.

Also, If you are interested I modded my AD pretty hard and it sounds great now.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...NES-AD-Adapter
    If the SRA turns out to be the same PCB those mods would also apply to it.
    Thanks for replying