Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Second series of SEGA 3D Classics in development for Japan!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's a pretty cool read there so far on part 1 and wow to the fact they after all these years never touched an afterburner port until this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

After Burner II plays really well with the Circle Pro stick for throttle.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Afterburner is such a blah game, they shouldn't of even wasted time on it. Not to mention the uselessness of Altered Beast, Streets of Rage, and Echo. Give me Outrun, ThunderBlade, and Fantasy Zone already. How about Rad Mobile?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Afterburner II, while not up there with something like Outrun in my eyes, is still a well done classic.

Happily, wave 2's lineup skipped the Genesis entirely. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Genesis titles from wave 1 were done as an easy way to pad the lineup while they learned the hardware.

Thankfully, they got their sea legs, listened to their customers, and focused on the most interesting material for the next round. Too bad that it sadly looks to be the last (No Turbo Outrun ).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-17-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That almost felt like a troll post there.

The only ones I want are Afterburner and Outrun. I'll probably wait for both to drop and snap them up the same time so I can switch between the two.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Afterburner is such a blah game, they shouldn't of even wasted time on it.
    While this is an amazing port just like all of M2's other efforts I still just don't "get" Afterburner. Every time I play I end up dying after just a few enemies and just can't seem to grasp the gameplay mechanics. There's no slow approaching or stationary objects so you can't play it like Galaxy Force II, and the enemies don't fly up and hang around in your face like Space Harrier's does. It seems like the enemy jets come at you kamikaze-style at a hundred miles an hour and fire their missiles as soon as they appear as a tiny mass of pixels.

The jet seems like it moves just a bit too fast on the screen to control well, and due to how the enemies appear and attack I often find myself wishing it was just a crosshair or a clear wireframe rather than a rear-view sprite. Seems like I end up taking a lot of hits due to the enemies or missiles being obscured from view due to being directly in front of my jet, which is a complaint I never had about Galaxy Force II or Space Harrier.

This is a truly awesome port with all the bells and whistles found in the other arcade games in the 3D Classics series. However if you didn't care too much for Afterburner on the Genesis/32x/SMS this isn't going to change your mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

3D Fantasy Zone developer interview:

Part 1
    Part 2

Releases on Feb 12th in NA and EU.

Next month will be 3D OutRun followed by 3D Fantasy Zone II (System-16 arcade remake) in April and Thunder Blade in May.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Any word yet on a 3rd series for Japan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Excellent I saw that piece on Fantasy Zone a few days ago or so, but I guess I missed the list showing Outrun for next month. That I would buy most definitely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Any word yet on a 3rd series for Japan?
    Nope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

In all sad fairness this may be the last of it. Remember Sega just decided to more or less close up shop on doing non-tablet/phone/web based games. They closed up some places, fired a good many people and talked up how tablet/phone gaming was so great and things for them. Sega is more or less dead, a tablet touchy feely gaming husk with a good name attached to it and little else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Wait, spoke too soon, it may not be the end afterall, just saw this on NeoGAF:

3D Streets of Rage 2 rated by ACB

A little strange as this title, as far as I know, hasn't been announced for Japan. And it is rated PG like the 3D original and is developed by M2 according to this listing. Also strange that the rest of Wave 2 hasn't been rated yet.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=990302

source

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/02...-board/134308/

3D Streets of Rage 2 Rated by Australian Classification Board

It seems like the Australian Classification Board has outed a major addition to the SEGA 3D Classics lineup on the Nintendo 3DS (eShop). While it hasn’t been officially announced yet (not even in Japan), it looks like brawler classic Streets of Rage 2 will be getting a 3D Classics treatment, joining its prequel in what has been an impressive lineup of stereoscopic 3D remasters.

You can check out the entry for Streets of Rage 2 on the Australian Classification Board website, and it has been rated PG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Great

While I hope the arcade trend continues, I'm not about to complain since this seems to all but assure that a 3rd wave is underway. I had hoped this would be the case, with the compilation and its bonuses that Japan received recently just delaying things a bit.

Please, please, convert Turbo Outrun over. While the original is definitely the better of the two games, this title is one of several Sega racers from the 1985-1990 period that they've focused on so far that deserves a proper home conversion at long last (The rare FM Towns port notwithstanding). And it runs on the Outrun hardware to boot, certainly a benefit to its chances after their past conversion of the original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great

While I hope the arcade trend continues, I'm not about to complain since this seems to all but assure that a 3rd wave is underway. I had hoped this would be the case, with the compilation and its bonuses that Japan received recently just delaying things a bit.

Please, please, convert Turbo Outrun over. While the original is definitely the better of the two games, this title is one of several Sega racers from the 1985-1990 period that they've focused on so far that deserves a proper home conversion at long last (The rare FM Towns port notwithstanding). And it runs on the Outrun hardware to boot, certainly a benefit to its chances after their past conversion of the original.
    Personally, I think Outrunners is a much better game than Turbo Outrun, but it didn't sound like running System 32 Multi games on the 3DS would be feasible (I bugged one of the M2 guys about it on Twitter a while back). Turbo Outrun does have the best music in the series, though. I probably wouldn't turn down 3DS Turbo Outrun, in any case.

I'd also like to see them do more of the air combat games, like G-LOC and Strike Fighter. After Burner II is cool, but that game is brutal even with a good flight stick setup; the 3DS circle pad is just ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is sort of applicable to this thread, but their return to the Genesis/Megadrive with Streets of Rage 2 reminded me of something I want to see Sega do. And that's a new Sonic Mega Collection at retail.

Sonic, Sonic 2, and Sonic CD have all been recreated in 16:9 HD for mobile devices. That material, along with Sonic 3 & Knuckles which hopefully is in the pipeline as we speak, deserves a console port and a disc release (So far, only Sonic CD HD is available on the 360 & PS3 and is a digital exclusive).

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post
    Personally, I think Outrunners is a much better game than Turbo Outrun, but it didn't sound like running System 32 Multi games on the 3DS would be feasible (I bugged one of the M2 guys about it on Twitter a while back). Turbo Outrun does have the best music in the series, though. I probably wouldn't turn down 3DS Turbo Outrun, in any case.
    While Outrunners is a fine game (Although I'd much rather see Turbo Outrun get some love), I wasn't even considering it. As you said, it seems out of reach with how they develop these.

Short of porting something over and leaving emulation entirely behind (Or perhaps going 2D only and 30 fps), approximately 1990 seems to be the cut off date where feasibility is concerned within the constraints of the standard 3DS hardware.

The New 3DS hardware might give them a fighting chance with later 2D sprite scalers like Outrunners, but I don't see why Sega would ever want to cut out the vast majority of the 3DS install base.

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post
    I'd also like to see them do more of the air combat games, like G-LOC and Strike Fighter.
    G-LOC and Strike Fighter are both games I'm keeping my fingers crossed for. They're right on the edge of that cut-off, but both games run on Sega's System Y arcade hardware just like Galaxy Force.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-11-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'd like to see some of their platformers done in this style because Streets of Rage is excellent. I've only picked up 3D Streets of Rage and Galaxy Force II along with now Afterburner. It would be great if Shinobi got the treatment and I think the throwing star bonus stage would be awesome with it (and be even cooler if they in the menus allowed just a fun play of that alone.) I could see buying that Streets of Rage sequel too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hope they focus on sprite scaling arcade material, rather than console titles.

If not, Shadow Dancer would be neat to see and is the only material in the franchise that remains exclusive to the arcade since the Genesis game is essentially an entirely different game. Thanks to arcade Shinobi making several appearances on last generation game consoles, that one is already taken care of.

Their Genesis efforts have been somewhat underwhelming. They're 4:3 only and haven't seemed to receive the same level of attention as the arcade content (For instance, no alternate CD musical tracks for Ecco the Dolphin, a rare example where M2 let me down). And it's all material that they've rereleased numerous times in the 2000's,

If they must do a console conversion, selecting something that they themselves haven't touched since back in the day like Outrun 2019 or Super Monaco GP, would be much more interesting from a 16 bit perspective than content that appeared on the Virtual Console, XBLA, PSN, Sonic Mega Collection, Sega Genesis Collection, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, etc.

That said, I lack a handheld version of Streets of Rage 2, I'm a fan of the game to a certain degree (Brawlers are fun, but I don't love the genre like many do), and will certainly support them (I did skip several of their earlier Genesis efforts, just never had the money to waste on Altered Beast just to support M2 and I only bought Ecco in the hope of the CD soundtrack and Streets of Rage since it's absent on Sega Genesis Collection for the PSP).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-19-2015 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

I hope they focus on sprite scaling arcade material, rather than console titles.
    I agree ^

The next sprite scaling game, and the one that's at the very top of my list is this one:

Plus it shouldn't be difficult for M2 to get it running on 3DS because it ran on the exact same board as After Burner II and Thunder Blade.

I want Super Monaco GP more than say, Power Drift, since SMGP never once got an arcade perfect home port, not even in Japan. Whereas Power Drift did (Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol. 1 on Dreamcast).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, that one is also high on my list.

There's a bit there that they'd have to eliminate or edit though. The Monaco name itself should be fine, but there's a shot of a McLaren from back in the day with just a slightly edited Marlboro logo on the rear wing that looks like it was changed to Marlbai or Marlboi. Might be too close for comfort these days with the anti tobacco crowd.

Plus, the victory lane celebration backdrop clearly shows Mobil logos and partially obscured Formula 1 World Championship logos. Mobil probably would be easily clearable if they wanted to instead of substituting something else, but the F1 bit would have to go.

Nothing that wouldn't be extremely easy for M2 to accomplish though. Even without original source code, M2 could handle the necessary edits with ease.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-14-2015 at 10:25 PM.