PSN
    Sabaku_Hoshi
    Steam
    Nionel

1. World Heroes (PS2, 1/7)
    2. Ryse: Son of Rome (XBO, 1/8)
    3. Mega Man X (PS2, 1/9)
    4. Mega Man X2 (PS2, 1/9)
    5. Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014 (Steam, 1/9)
    6. Sonic Blast (GG, 1/10)
    7. Sonic the Hedgehog: Spinball (GG, 1/10)

Sonic Blast is one of the better Sonic outings on the Game Gear, my only real fault with the game is that it, much like the other GG outings, lacks the sense of speed that the console Sonic games offered at the time. It's a decent game and is much better than other Sonic games on the platform like Sonic 2.

Sonic Spinball on the other hand, is still a game I just can't get into. While I like the level designs more than its Genesis counterpart, the game's physics are worse than the it's Genesis cousin and the game is still very slow and gets repetitive quickly. It's an okay game, if you're a fan of pinball, but I would imagine that the Game Gear could offer much better than this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pizza Pop! (From a custom made, English-translated NES repro)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ace Comics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CMT Ace

01: 01/05/14 - PSN - Wonder Boy in Monster World
    02: 01/10/14 - PSN - Monster World IV
    03: 01/17/14 - PSN - Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    04: 04/25/14 - PS3 - Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty
    05: 05/09/14 - PS3 - Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    06: 08/22/14 - WiiU - Super Mario 3-D World
    07: 09/01/14 - PS3 - Tales of Xillia
    Last edited by Ace Comics; 09-01-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

1. DmC: Devil May Cry

2. Guacamelle!

I'll be honest, when I first started this, I was having flash back to bad flash game beat'em ups, like Shank. In reality, this is a damned amazing game. Getting the basics out of the way, it looks great, has a great (but small and repeatative) OST and controls about as well as anything. Getting to the meat, it's got that frustrating platformer thing going on (a particular part let my partner to say "This is some Super Meatboy shit right here.") without becoming unreasonable. I liked that, I really did. I highly recommend this game and all the DLC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two days ago I finished the 350th puzzle in Pandora's Box for Windows. Pretty good puzzle game and decent variety. I found a copy earlier last year and kept doing a couple puzzles every week. Most can be completed in a couple minutes while the last 3 trickster (boss) puzzles can take over 20 minutes each. There is also a Game of the Year edition which has 400 puzzles, which translates into an 8th boss area of 50 maximum puzzles - I may seek that out one day although in practicing some of the puzzles there's some replay here and plenty of time to do so.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

First game beaten for 2014

1. Lego Lord of the Rings 1/11 PC

Very interesting. I felt like this was one of the more serious lego games they made. Probably because it seems kinda hard to make a full of comedy lord of the rings game without losing the story ultimately.
    Fun game regardless though 5/5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elysiun
    PSN
    Sabaku_Hoshi
    Steam
    Nionel

3. Mega Man X (PS2, 1/9)
    8. Mega Man X3 (PS2, 1/11)
    9. Mega Man X4 (PS2, 1/11)
    10. Super Mairo Land 2: The Six Golden Coins (GB, 1/12)

Mega Man X3 felt like a step up from X2, and with the added benefit of the version on the X Collection being based on the PSX/Saturn release, the audio was certainly much improved. The game still seemed to lack that real difficulty curve though, I mean, the game isn't too easy, but the difficulty just doesn't feel as balanced as others in the series. Overall I'm happy the game, and it's probably still one of my favorites in the series, it's just too bad that the actual SNES cart is so darn expensive.

Mega Man X4 is a turning point for the series, it's very obvious that Capcom stepped out the production values for this game with an all new graphics engine for the Playstation hardware, the audio is stepped up to true CD quality, the stages are much larger than the previous games in the series, the game has fully voiced anime cutscenes, and you finally have the option to play as Zero through the entire game. This game feels right, the difficulty is feels right, the game controls well, and this is all around one of the best experiences in the Mega Man X series, and arguably one of the best in the franchise as a whole. Honestly, it never really clicked with how much I liked this game until the last few years, but I can honestly say it's probably my favorite of the X games, simply from a gameplay standpoint, and you have to love that cheesy voice acting.

Mario Land 2 is that odd duck in the Mario family, Nintendo always did strange things with Mario games on the Gameboy and this one shows it the best. The levels are just crazy, though a mixed bag from a design standpoint, and while the game is fairly short and easy it can really be excused given that it was an early 90s Gameboy title and was meant to be played by kids on a car ride of something. The game play on this one is really solid and its honestly much better than the first Mario Land title, if you're a Mario fan and you're looking for something a little different, or you haven't experience this great title, definitely try it out, it worth it since it can be found fairly cheap.
    Last edited by Nionel; 01-14-2014 at 12:05 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BEATEN IN 2014

JAN

1)Pikmin 3(WiiU)

2)Gradius III(SNES)

I finally sat down and beat this one on Normal settings. Granted, I did use the 30 lives code. The way I figure it, if you beat it without powerup or infinited lives/continue codes, it's legit; the 30 lives just keeps me from having to start over and over. Anyhow, the final boss was a bit of a trip. The game was such a ballbuster and you kind of expect the final boss to do the same... I really love the option to customize your loadout and the music is to die for.
    I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming
    Me Youtube, Captain Natron

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (Xbox) 1/1
    2. Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge (Xbox) 1/3
    3. Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ (DS) 1/12

I bought Zombie BBQ years ago solely on the novelty of the title. I kind of written it off in my head as a gimmick game and didn't really give it much of a chance. To be honest, I don't think I played past the third level back then before my attention wondered elsewhere. Anyhow, I was looking through my DS library recently and decided to give it a solid try, and I'm glad I did. Although it gets a little repetitive at times, the game is a lot of fun, probably the best shooter I've played on the DS.....well it least lately, and the bosses are varied and interesting. Worth checking out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After getting flogged by the final boss gauntlet for over an hour I finally cleared Scruge: Hive on Game Boy Advance. I played 90% of the game on my GBASP (AGS-101) but decided to finish it off on the Game Boy Player for GameCube, mostly since my L/R buttons are finicky on GBA. This is important in S:H since switching weapons and grappling items happens via L/R and often. I had 6500+ kills, 70% efficiency (or hit accuracy), and a rank of TRAINEE. Time is irrelevant since after 11 hours (or simply double digit hours in general) it begins to glitch up and minutes are no longer counted and the hour time doesn't seem to count properly. Not only but I've been working on this game for several years and every time I stopped it was very hard to get motivated to go back.

It's an axonometric / isometric perspective and is heavily influenced by Metroid - female bounty hunter fighting space creatures (in this case infectious parasites, so very similar to Metroid Fusion in that regard). It's a decent game but can get very repetitive and most often I did not feel like searching an entire area over again just because I missed 1 card key out of 9 needed to open a door to progress. The music is good (composed by Jake Kaufman) and the graphics are too however the combat is clunky. As you go further in the game you'll get more weapons and more variety in enemies. The enemy layout per room is generally fair but by the end you'll need to switch weapons several times per room. Adding to matters is the fact you are immobile when firing any projectile weapon meaning if you're in a bad spot and get hit there's nothing you can do. Plus you cannot change the direction of fire unless you stop firing and then re-orient. The adjustment the developers included to compensate is enemies clustered together of a similar type can be chained so long as one in range is shot. The issue here is in large rooms with spread out enemies accuracy is very important. The final point I'd add is the saving, which is forced due to the protagonist being infected and save rooms/points being the only place to reset the infection. All enemies drop health but there is nothing to circumvent the infection percentage so you'll be saving a lot. This is in contrast to the earlier mention final boss run which consists of 3 different enemies where the first 2 spawn small enemies but they don't drop any health and you're up against the clock. The 3rd final boss is fairly easy once you've got the hang of it but one mistake and you've got to redo all 3 over again. I don't think I'll be going through this any time soon to unlock the further difficulties and boss rush and as such there is little to go back to here pardon increased challenge. For the price ($10 CIB) it was a good Metroid clone, imperfect at that. Not sure how the DS version stacks up but it too is likely low priced.
    Last edited by fahlim003; 01-13-2014 at 09:15 PM.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elysiun
    PSN
    Sabaku_Hoshi
    Steam
    Nionel

3. Mega Man X (PS2, 1/9)
    10. Super Mario Land 2: The Six Golden Coins (GB, 1/12)
    11. Mega Man X5 (PS2, 1/13)
    12. World Heroes 2 (PS2, 1/14)

Ah, X5, sad to say but this is quite a step down from the previous games in the series. While the core gameplay remains largely the same, everything else just feels like a step back from X4. We loose the voiced over animated cutscenes, in favor of static images with text, the levels aren't nearly as long as X4's levels, and my biggest problem with the game is the drop off in difficulty. When the player dies, all weapon energy is recovered, which makes conserving weapon energy for boss fights pointless, when you use a continue you start from the level's most recent check point instead of having to play the level over, and the biggest issue is one of the new armor sets, the Gaea Armor. Gaea Armor is easily the most broken thing in the game, in exchange for a little mobility, giving up range on X's standard buster shots, and the ability to use your acquire weapons, you get invulnerability from spikes and insanely fast charging buster shots, literally to the point were you can rapid fire charged shots, making boss fights (including the final boss) a joke. I have to say this is easily th worst in the series so far, and it's been awhile since I played X6, but here's hoping it's better than this one.

World Heroes 2 was, honestly, a nice step up from the first game. Most of my issues with the previous title have been address with this sequel, the control now feel much tighter and the gameplay feels more fluid, the presentation has also received a nice step up with the audio receiving a nice upgrade when compared to its predecessor. Overall this was a decent fighter, no where near the some of the other fighters of the period, but I could easily see playing this again, and unlike with the first game, I'm actually looking forward to playing WH2: Jet.
    Last edited by Nionel; 01-14-2014 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Added another game to the list

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    Two days ago I finished the 350th puzzle in Pandora's Box for Windows. Pretty good puzzle game and decent variety. I found a copy earlier last year and kept doing a couple puzzles every week. Most can be completed in a couple minutes while the last 3 trickster (boss) puzzles can take over 20 minutes each. There is also a Game of the Year edition which has 400 puzzles, which translates into an 8th boss area of 50 maximum puzzles - I may seek that out one day although in practicing some of the puzzles there's some replay here and plenty of time to do so.
    Holy Moses. I haven't played that game in 15 years. You just took me back to early childhood.

On topic, today I just beat Game Dev Tycoon. Fun game, but the learning curve is pretty steep. Once you crack it, it gets more manageable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

1. Assassin's Creed IV:Black Flag (PS4) 01/01/14
    2. Hellboy: The Science of Evil (PS3) 01/06/14
    3. Dead Space 2 (PS3) 01/14/14
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

JAN

1)Pikmin 3(WiiU)
    2)Gradius III(SNES)

3)Double Dragon(WiiU VC)
    Used the save state feature on the VC after a while, as it was getting frustrating to constantly breeze through the first 4 levels and then gamble on the seemingly random blocks popping out of the wall and stealing health. I think, beyond a few silly choices like the block thing, that the game has aged quite well. I love the feel of the game and, as is often the case it seems, I dug the music.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elysiun
    PSN
    Sabaku_Hoshi
    Steam
    Nionel

3. Mega Man X (PS2, 1/9)
    13. World Heroes 2 Jet (PS2, 1/15)

Two steps forward, one step back. The presentation was much improved, and with the added moves and rebalancing of the combat system, this game does have some advantages over its predecessor. However, the new AI system is very unbalanced and the computer will continually spam priority moves in combat to make sure that you can't get close enough to do any real damage, however, some matches are the complete opposite, where the AI will do basically nothing and let you walk though the like nothing. It's not a big thing, but it's irritating and can really kill the game experience. Otherwise, the series continues to improve, but it still can't stand with the likes of Street Fighter, but we'll see how it concludes in the final game, World Heroes Perfect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

I beat Dead Rising 3 for Xbox One, several times!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elysiun
    PSN
    Sabaku_Hoshi
    Steam
    Nionel

3. Mega Man X (PS2, 1/9)
    14. Skylanders: Giant (3DS, 1/16)

A surprisingly solid game, the added ability to jump (and even double jump) adds platforming to the game and really helps the game be more enjoyable than its console couterpart. The game isn't too long, taking about five hours for the initial playthough, and levels are short which allows the game to easily to played in quick spurts during car rides or when you just need to kill ten or fifteen minutes. Overall, it's worth it if you can find the game for a cheaper price, but it's certainly not worth the game's $60 SRP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

JAN

1)Pikmin 3(WiiU)
    2)Gradius III(SNES)
    3)Double Dragon(WiiU VC)

4)Sinistron(TG16)

HOLY COW what a hard game. Probably the hardest shmup I've ever finished. Thank the maker for infinite continues. The game even gave me a mild case of "Street Fighter" thumb, which I haven't had in a while.

Sinistron is a pretty solid game really. The crushing difficulty almost made me give up on a few occasions. The first 3 levels are pretty much a breeze, but level 4 onward are a pain. The graphics are pretty nice and the game has some interesting gameplay mechanics. The coolest thing is the spear thing on the front of the ship. It damages enemies and absorbs fire, but with a weapon powerup collected it can be opened like a pincer and spread your fire. Collect another and it will open wider and spread your fire wider. However, the wider it opens, the more vulnerable the front of your ship is. Something else that's pretty cool is that each level has a checkpoint you reach. When you lose all your lives and select continue, you can choose to start the level over or continue at the checkpoint. Very cool option for a game this old.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elysiun
    PSN
    Sabaku_Hoshi
    Steam
    Nionel

3. Mega Man X (PS2, 1/9)
    14. Skylanders: Giant (3DS, 1/16)
    15. To the Moon (Steam, 1/17)

This one was not at all what I expected, but that's not a bad thing. The game has a fantastic story, and while only about 4 hours long, the quality more than makes up for it. A fantastic indy title, and worth every penny.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

4. Final Fantasy II - NES (English prototype translation on repro cartridge)

I completed the English prototype translation from a reproduction cartridge I ordered in 2009. While not as easy to understand as the fan translation, the prototype translation is still understandable enough to play through.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]