Page 59 of 76 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1502

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just upgraded with the facebook version, 2.0b1 and it still took 4-5 seconds to boot up.

Everything else seems fine though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

2.0b1 isn't quick boot, that's just faster downloading of the game off the cart and will load in the process of it completing the download, quick boot is another download for start up time to drop to .5sec instead of holding the button for 5 sec to get power.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, ok, thank you!

Insert Coin (Level 0) mercuryshadow09's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apparently the Retron5 has been rooted already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

source that or I call bs.

also, even IF the R5 gets rooted, I'm not sure what the point of custom firmware is for this thing.

I mean, hypothetically speaking, let's assume the R5 is rooted and able to run full speed emulators off the SD card. If pure software emulation without involving cartridges is what you're after, there's a smaller, cheaper, more powerful and all around better console alternative: the Ouya.

I haven't been on an Ouya kick in a while but I don't get why people would want to put custom firmware on the RetroN5 to begin with. The only possible reason I can think of would be to possibly run emulators on the R5 of systems it doesn't include cartridge ports of like 2600 or GameGear games. That's all fine and good, but the moment you switch to custom firmware, the official firmware updates that continue to make things better can no longer be applied or that would override the custom firmware.

This isn't like the PSP or original Xbox where everything was so much better with custom firmware. the official firmware is important as they continue to improve the device.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know what he said, but I assume we're talking about the Retron 5 being hacked. That would appeal to me for unit reduction and not having to buy a Ouya and controller adapters if it happens before I get around to getting a Ouya one of these days. That's why a conveniently cracked Retron 5 that could easily run Ouya emulators on top of its stock abilities would appeal to me.

Best of both worlds. Makes sense to me, I don't understand your befuddlement.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-21-2014 at 05:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    That's all fine and good, but the moment you switch to custom firmware, the official firmware updates that continue to make things better can no longer be applied or that would override the custom firmware.

This isn't like the PSP or original Xbox where everything was so much better with custom firmware. the official firmware is important as they continue to improve the device.
    That.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why does it have to be that way? Weren't Homebrew Channel users on the Wii still able to use official firmware and apply official updates for instance? Compatibility was sometimes broken as Nintendo fought back as I understand it, but issues were always resolved in the end.

Certainly if we can't use the Retron 5's stock OS and apply Hyperkin's updates, it's of limited utility as far as I'm concerned. But even then, I see some appeal there for a limited percentage of users. You're essentially buying a Ouya with built-in controller ports if it works with Ouya programs and they can recognize and interact with the Retron 5's controller ports.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-21-2014 at 05:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

As much as mercury like to troll, he is right, it is rooted. I was told this at least a week ago by the retron tech. I just didn't bother to announce it or go digging for the how to on it. I was told that there's no security anyway so he was laughing that it took that long to be done as it's apparently extremely easy to get access to the root on it to do with it as you wish. Satoshi, you're right, Ouya technically is cheaper, though it takes work and buying a controller dongle or more so you can use your pads. But, it is fair to say also that the R5 is a known cart dumping and writing device, with that truly unlocked it can be used clearly for that purpose. Hacking it would also allow things that don't work right to get done by others than Hyperkins own staff which oddly could be a benefit because if someone can add all those weird ass Nintendo accessories (vaus, g-force, power pad, etc) and the code is public they could just patch it in. The hardware on it also is pretty solid, you could add a lot more machines to it as well streaming the game data over the USB port from another device or using the SD card too. It could be abused much like the Wii with an external hard drive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

source that or I call bs.

also, even IF the R5 gets rooted, I'm not sure what the point of custom firmware is for this thing.

I mean, hypothetically speaking, let's assume the R5 is rooted and able to run full speed emulators off the SD card. If pure software emulation without involving cartridges is what you're after, there's a smaller, cheaper, more powerful and all around better console alternative: the Ouya.

I haven't been on an Ouya kick in a while but I don't get why people would want to put custom firmware on the RetroN5 to begin with. The only possible reason I can think of would be to possibly run emulators on the R5 of systems it doesn't include cartridge ports of like 2600 or GameGear games. That's all fine and good, but the moment you switch to custom firmware, the official firmware updates that continue to make things better can no longer be applied or that would override the custom firmware.

http://www.chromableedstudios.com/te...roottheretron5

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    But, it is fair to say also that the R5 is a known cart dumping and writing device, with that truly unlocked it can be used clearly for that purpose.
    That's the first thing that came to mind, if you could use it to dump games without using those ancient floppy based cart copiers this console could have a real use to it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It's possible it was dumped for no real reason other than personal interest. That's not uncommon in modding rings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    It's possible it was dumped for no real reason other than personal interest. That's not uncommon in modding rings.
    Most likely.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Today I got Micro Machines for the Master System it doesn't work on the Retron 5 using a Power Base Mini.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Has anyone hooked up the Retron5 to a 4K tv? Just wondering what the picture looks like on one, the prices are getting a lot cheaper on the 4K tv's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

there would be no advantage. 4K TVs would display 720p imagines as 720p images. Unlike the Ouya, the Retron5 doesn't do 1080p, and even if it did....the point would be moot on a 4K tv.

also, lol the thought of running a 256 x 240 game on a 3840 x 2160 display.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Big new Beta 2.0b2 update you'll LOVE. Translation IPS patching of ROMS! (among other things.) Read below.
    http://www.retron5.in/?src=d67d8ab4f...a353e27879133c

• Changes since v2.0 BETA 1 include:
    • IPS patch support added (allows application of translation patches, graphic/level hacks etc)
    • Added support for SNES SPC7110 cartridges
    • Fixed screen shaking in some GBA games
    • File manager is now able to operate on folders (select with long button press) and copy/remove folders recursively
    • Misc game compatibility fixes (Fantasy Zone, Sky Kid, Youkai Club)
    • IPS patching notes: You may now specify one IPS patch file to apply on a per game basis, which may be used to apply language translation patches, graphics hacks, or even total conversions. IPS files must be stored on an SD card (no restriction on the file path). With the target cartridge inserted, navigate to Game Menu -> Patches -> Select IPS patch. You may then navigate the SD card to select the desired patch to apply to the currently inserted cartridge.

Please note that as the IPS patch file format does not include any mechanism for verifying any data before or after patching, it is important that you use the correct IPS patch file corresponding to the target game. If an incompatible patch file is used then likely the game will simply fail to start. To make matters even more complicated, many older IPS patch files require that they be used with ROMs that contain headers, or are interleaved - neither of which may be supported here. The IPS must target the RAW game dump. Check the readme included with your patch to determine if it is suitable.

File manager folder manipulation: You may now also operate on folders through the file manager. To select a holder, hold the A/+ button on the controller down until the context menu appears. From here you can copy/remove as you can with files, except that when operating on folders anything you do will be carried out recursively. This means that removing a folder will delete any contents - so be careful

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I got an email today that my Retron5 order has _finally_ shipped. So, apparently, when Hyperkin said June 6, they actually meant September 4th, which with shipping time will probably mean September 6 - three months later.

Tanooki, could I ask a favor in your assistance in getting what I need set up before hand? Where did I need to go and what do I need to do to upgrade the firmware from the 1.0 it will ship with to where its at now?

I'd like to pre-prepare an SD card so I can update it almost as soon as I get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You really don't need to prep the SD if it's fat32 formatted it's ready.

Just go here: http://www.retron5.in/node/2

*FIRST* Install the system application firmware 0.22
    Then do the 1.6 official update, or just look at their facebook and add 2.0b2 which came out hours ago. It's just 1.6 with quickbooting of games and all the goodies I pasted a few posts ago in this thread. Also that beta page did/should have the link to the quick power on thing too so you hold it .5sec instead of 5sec to get it just to turn on which was stupid it even shipped like that.

Did Hyperkin every exactly in specific words ever state that Canada had a release day of June 6? I don't really remember seeing that if they did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think he was talking about formatting, he was talking about getting the necessary updates onto his memory card so he'd be ready to go when it arrives.

With US preorders seemingly having been filled for a while and with Retron 5's on store shelves these days, I'm still not sure if they're at fault for your experiences. Perhaps Canada played second fiddle to the US and they should be criticized for not being more open about it, but the few complaints I've seen for the past month or more about still waiting on their preorder have all been Amazon Canada customers.

Seems an isolated problem that perhaps isn't all Hyperkin's doing. But either way, have fun with it. You might get more of a kick out of it this way than if you had gotten it earlier since there's no point really in making videos showing it off now and the OS seems to have made great strides since day 1.

You can just settle down and play with the minimum of fuss over software issues or messing around with video editing programs and capture cards.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-15-2015 at 06:39 AM.