Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rumor or Nonsense: Nintendo's next generation console and handheld: Fusion Terminal and Fusion DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    IMO anyone who is complaining about New Super Mario Bros. U not being a sufficient launch Mario game is not a true Mario fan. Real Mario fans want all the Mario they can get. Both 2D & 3D. I like 2D better than 3D.

Well, how bout this.... My favorite game of all time, ranked No.1 overall, is Super Mario World for the Super Nintendo. I don't take that ranking lightly either. I'm a huge 2D Mario fan.

Here's the problem. The new games that started with the DS and Wii, and then later on Wii U and 3DS use polygons instead of sprites. For whatever reason, I just don't get that same feeling as I do when I'm playing Super Mario World or SMB3. The DS game, and the Wii game are both very clever, and well made games, but ultimately, they just don't feel the same to me, and I think the polygon thing is the reason why. If Nintendo made a "real" 2D Mario game, I would be in seventh heaven. I'd love them to use the exact same engine as Super Mario World, just add a couple of extra special effects to it, and great background music and sound effects and I would be in heaven...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The worst thing that could have happen to Nintendo at this point is if the WiiU had edged out around 6 million units with minimally satisfying success that they felt no reason to change their current strategy whatsoever and thus, blissfully continue to allow themselves the same problems throughout 2014. Now, that they missed even their initial 5.5 mill mark, they're getting the quintessential "hot-coffee-thrown-in-their-face" wake up call they need to start paying attention and fix their serious problems with the WiiU before their 2 biggest titles this year hit the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    The worst thing that could have happen to Nintendo at this point is if the WiiU had edged out around 6 million units with minimally satisfying success that they felt no reason to change their current strategy whatsoever and thus, blissfully continue to allow themselves the same problems throughout 2014. Now, that they missed even their initial 5.5 mill mark, they're getting the quintessential "hot-coffee-thrown-in-their-face" wake up call they need to start paying attention and fix their serious problems with the WiiU before their 2 biggest titles this year hit the market.
    It's much too late for that though. The WiiU had a very impressive release schedule this past year. Nintendo's whole strategy since launch has been to keep promoting the fact that the big titles that came out in the latter part of 2013 were coming. Those titles were released and it didn't do much for console sales. In 2014, Nintendo's target audience isn't going to get super excited over Bayonetta 2 and Donkey Kong, Super Smash and Mario Kart are going to be great games, but they have been on several previous Nintendo platforms including the Wii and they aren't going to convince people on the fence to buy a whole new console. As others have pointed out, Nintendo is just going to keep muddling through for the next few years until they release a unified platform and ultimately, WiiU will just be remembered as Nintendo trying to capitalize on the massive success of the Wii but in the process alienating third parties, failing at marketing and ultimately loosing more of the audience it has built over the past three decades.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's much too late for that though. The WiiU had a very impressive release schedule this past year. Nintendo's whole strategy since launch has been to keep promoting the fact that the big titles that came out in the latter part of 2013 were coming. Those titles were released and it didn't do much for console sales. In 2014, Nintendo's target audience isn't going to get super excited over Bayonetta 2 and Donkey Kong, Super Smash and Mario Kart are going to be great games, but they have been on several previous Nintendo platforms including the Wii and they aren't going to convince people on the fence to buy a whole new console. As others have pointed out, Nintendo is just going to keep muddling through for the next few years until they release a unified platform and ultimately, WiiU will just be remembered as Nintendo trying to capitalize on the massive success of the Wii but in the process alienating third parties, failing at marketing and ultimately loosing more of the audience it has built over the past three decades.
    Haha, uh....no. Remind me, how long did it take PS3 to start selling like hotcakes? Oh right....3 years! Three bloody years! And during that time it had to contend with the Wii's dominance, 360's year-long head start, a $600 price point, a lack of third-party exclusives, $200-$300 loss per console and it's sitting cozy @ 80 million units now. So yeah, if it ain't too late for the PS3, which took Sony nearly 900+ days to fix, then it absolutely sure as hell ain't too late for the WiiU with 600+ days left and counting.
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The market is different than it was in 2006, or even 2009.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also the Wii U isn't a blu-ray player.

That said I think its a valid comparison. The war isn't over yet.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Haha, uh....no. Remind me, how long did it take PS3 to start selling like hotcakes? Oh right....3 years! Three bloody years! And during that time it had to contend with the Wii's dominance, 360's year-long head start, a $600 price point, a lack of third-party exclusives, $200-$300 loss per console and it's sitting cozy @ 80 million units now. So yeah, if it ain't too late for the PS3, which took Sony nearly 900+ days to fix, then it absolutely sure as hell ain't too late for the WiiU with 600+ days left and counting.
    So, lay out the possible scenario because I sure can't see it. The WiiU is essentially a last generation piece of hardware with almost no third party support with no real hope of third party support in the near or distant future. It's expensive to produce and can't sustain a price cut without further damaging Nintendo's bottom line. Nintendo lacks the capacity to get additional studios up and running on software and would be years away from releasing anything if they started acquiring new studios today. So yeah, it is too late for the WiiU and as others have pointed out, this isn't 2006 and the audience Nintendo built with the Wii has moved on to mobile devices while both the PS4 and Xbox One continue to sell at a record pace with no compelling software available for either one right now.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...m-its-miyamoto

Apparently it's all Miyamoto's fault!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, lay out the possible scenario because I sure can't see it. The WiiU is essentially a last generation piece of hardware with almost no third party support with no real hope of third party support in the near or distant future. It's expensive to produce and can't sustain a price cut without further damaging Nintendo's bottom line. Nintendo lacks the capacity to get additional studios up and running on software and would be years away from releasing anything if they started acquiring new studios today. So yeah, it is too late for the WiiU and as others have pointed out, this isn't 2006 and the audience Nintendo built with the Wii has moved on to mobile devices while both the PS4 and Xbox One continue to sell at a record pace with no compelling software available for either one right now.
    That's easy! The same thing they did after the Gamecube....the one no one expects.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...m-its-miyamoto

Apparently it's all Miyamoto's fault!
    Yeah, I stopped reading at '3ds is underperforming' like saying a chronically anorexic 60-pound Lindsay Lohan is fat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's easy! The same thing they did after the Gamecube....the one no one expects.

Yeah, I stopped reading at '3ds is underperforming' like saying a chronically anorexic 60-pound Lindsay Lohan is fat.
    I stopped reading after...

It has absolutely no vested interest in the console business beyond selling video games
    *shakes head*

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well, if it was that easy, you would have been able to map out a possible scenario instead of just spouting vague platitudes. They already did what nobody expected with the WiiU by adding the pad and nobody cared. At this point, to have an impact on the market that really shakes things up they will have to essentially start over with a new console which is what almost everyone in this thread seems to agree is what will happen, the only real question is when and what that means for the WiiU in the short term.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

By the way, I did read the full Miyamoto article, and the author eventually made a point despite spending 80% of the piece Nintendo bashing. Ha ha ha. His point was that the company were stuck in a tough place. They have to choose between making absolutely stellar Mario, Zelda, old franchise games, or spending resources/people power on new franchises. That even Miyamoto has admitted this is an ongoing concern. Nintendo's greatest asset, it's incredibly well done franchises, is also a burden. He did say that Miyamoto IS working on a couple new concepts though perhaps it's kind of too late?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    He did say that Miyamoto IS working on a couple new concepts though perhaps it's kind of too late?
    It might be too late for the Wii U but going forward, Nintendo needs some fresh ideas and franchises and if Miyamoto has something or two up his sleeve then that's nothing but great news for the big N.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Fascinating and all that but I think it's fair enough to wait to see what comes with E3 before condemning the WiiU to death let alone eating that shit sandwich that the 3DS is floundering which is clearly isn't. Nintendo since the SNES has always put out older hardware or at the least limited (GC to mini discs vs DVDs) hardware which has put them in a spot. N64 really started it with the carts versus CD mess that probably should have killed them and well the Wii was no PS3 by a long shot. I know it's cool to dump on anything having a hard time, especially if you're not a fan, or were a fan who got fed up with the bullshit but my experience has always been to keep an open mind for 2 years on the market, then see if things are up shit creek or not before calling it a day. I think had Wii U been properly named, advertised, priced where it is now at launch, and had mainly third parties given it equal support it would be a different picture but that's too late to matter now as it's just not a pretty picture.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Fascinating and all that but I think it's fair enough to wait to see what comes with E3 before condemning the WiiU to death let alone eating that shit sandwich that the 3DS is floundering which is clearly isn't. Nintendo since the SNES has always put out older hardware or at the least limited (GC to mini discs vs DVDs) hardware which has put them in a spot. N64 really started it with the carts versus CD mess that probably should have killed them and well the Wii was no PS3 by a long shot. I know it's cool to dump on anything having a hard time, especially if you're not a fan, or were a fan who got fed up with the bullshit but my experience has always been to keep an open mind for 2 years on the market, then see if things are up shit creek or not before calling it a day. I think had Wii U been properly named, advertised, priced where it is now at launch, and had mainly third parties given it equal support it would be a different picture but that's too late to matter now as it's just not a pretty picture.
    The 3DS isn't in the same situation that the WiiU is, but it missed it's sales target by over 4.5 million units and software sales missed targets as well by 14 million units. Those are fairly large misses when you're talking about 18 million hardware units and 80 million software units as the former targets. Again, it's not catastrophic, but it signals bigger problems for Nintendo as their cash cow just isn't delivering like it used to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it just says Nintendo has been a bit delusional on their projections. Reign those in and make desisions on realistic expectations, and they'll do all right.

I seriously have no idea how Nintendo thought 9 million was at all realistic expectation.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    I think it just says Nintendo has been a bit delusional on their projections. Reign those in and make desisions on realistic expectations, and they'll do all right.

I seriously have no idea how Nintendo thought 9 million was at all realistic expectation.
    Both Xbox One and PS4 will easily hit 9 million units by the end of calendar 2014 and Xbox One lacks any real market demand in most of Asia, so I don't think Nintendo was being unrealistic in projecting 9 million units worldwide in a full fiscal year if the console was actually a viable contender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nintendo time and again lives in a fantasy land of overprojecting what their systems will move, at least with the 3DS. THe Wii U, they got bitchslapped plain and simple not correcting that shit six months ago seeing how 'good' the sales were pre-Zelda and hell even pre-Pikmin 3 for that matter. They came up with garbage numbers that didn't have a basis in reality even given how their first Christmas went and blindly rolled with it with their eyes closed, fingers in years and mouthing 'LALALA can't hear you' to reality. The 3DS may have been over projected and missed but it was also their best yearly sales for the thing too on software and hardware so they just let ego make them look like asses in its case.

I miss Cartoon Orbit! Drclaw411's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drclaw411
    PSN
    Drclaw411

Call me crazy, but I think the worst thing Nintendo did was decide to put the next Smash Brothers game on the 3DS as well as the Wii U. Smash Bros is always a system seller, and releasing it on a console every has already leaves people no reason to buy a Wii U to play it.

Also...consoles could play CDs three generations ago, and DVDs two generations ago. Why is Nintendo still ignoring this?
    Last edited by Drclaw411; 01-27-2014 at 11:55 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think the games are Nintendo's problem, the timing is. If anything, their current entries are better than the ones we were getting on the Gamecube but they aren't coming out when they need to. Skyward Sword should have been a Wii U launch title. What good did it do Nintendo as the Wii's last hurrah? For all the praise Nintendo gets for its innovation, that was a very shortsighted move.