Thread: Rumor or Nonsense: Nintendo's next generation console and handheld: Fusion Terminal and Fusion DS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Default Rumor or Nonsense: Nintendo's next generation console and handheld: Fusion Terminal and Fusion DS

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/17...onsoles-spread

As the Wii U struggles, reports and specs of Nintendo’s next-gen consoles spread
    By Grant Brunner on January 21, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Nintendo is in dire straights. The Wii U sold poorly over the 2013 holiday season, and the Kyoto company is anticipating substantial losses going forward. Now, rumors are bubbling up that Nintendo is already working on its next console, and it sounds quite promising. With superior hardware and better handheld connectivity, this has the potential to turn the table once more in Nintendo’s favor.

An enthusiast site by the name of Nintendo News recently reported a number of interesting tidbits, and it all sounds too good to be true. First off, the author proposes that “Fusion” could be the name of Nintendo’s next console. The evidence, a domain name purchased over a decade ago, seems like a stretch at best. The domain NintendoFusion.com does exist, and it seems as if Nintendo is actually the owner. However, Nintendo News points out itself that the domain likely exists because of the Fusion Tour that Nintendo held in the early aughts. While the name sounds relatively plausible, I wouldn’t bet any money on it. Even if it’s true, remember that the Nintendo Wii was codenamed “Revolution,” and the GameCube once went by “Dolphin.”

The proposed spec-sheets of the “Fusion DS” and “Fusion Terminal” are available in the post as well. The handheld supposedly sports an ARM Cortex-A53 CPU, an Adreno 420 GPU, 3GB of LPDDR3 RAM, and two 960×640 capacitive touchscreens. On the console side, the “Terminal” is reported to have a 2.2GHz 8-core PowerPC CPU, a custom Radeon-based GPU, 4GB of DDR4 RAM, 2GB of DDR3 RAM, and a 4K-compatible HDMI 2.0 output. Those definitely sound like compelling upgrades to the existing hardware, but Nintendo’s problems don’t lie solely with its underpowered hardware. If Nintendo wants hardware adoption, it’s going to need a flood of outstanding first-party titles that the Wii U just hasn’t offered.

With a name like Fusion, this rumor is pointing towards the potential of cross-compatibility between the console and handheld — following Sony’s lead. With cross-buy, cross-play, and remote play, Sony has been knocking it out of the park with the PlayStation Vita in the last few months. Since Nintendo has such a strong hold on the handheld market, it would be wise to follow suit here.

Even if this specific rumor turns out to be bogus, its clear that Nintendo has to do something. The company is hemorrhaging money, and the stock price just fell off of a cliff. It’s highly unlikely that Nintendo will abandon the hardware market in favor of PS4 and iPhone support, so the solution is clear: new hardware.

Nintendo needs to cut its losses with the Wii U, double down on 3DS development, and start anew in the console market in a few years. In the meantime, Nintendo needs to fire much of its leadership, and find a better way to leverage its entire back catalog. With Nintendo’s amazing software library, the Wii U and 3DS Virtual Consoles could be pure profit machines. Instead, Nintendo has squandered this opportunity by only releasing a handful of titles at a time. Frankly, Nintendo better shape up, or prepare for the impending shareholder revolt.

http://www.nintendonews.com/2014/01/...hardware-name/

“Nintendo Fusion” Could Be Nintendo’s Next-Gen Hardware Name
    By Kevin McMinn On 21 January 2014

Nintendo Fusion isn’t just an arbitrary name with no meaning.

We have just received an anonymous tip from one of our very reputable sources regarding possible information related to Nintendo’s next-generation hardware; for both its home and portable consoles.

First of all, if this is your first time on Nintendo News, I want to personally make it clear that we have an impeccable reputation when it comes to delivering information that’s credible and newsworthy. Secondly, thank you for taking the time to read what we offer. Third, and most important, none of the information is 100% guaranteed. Then again, nothing in life is either. Please use caution when viewing the below information, especially with regard to the technical specifications. Let’s have a look at the information we have received.

Perhaps the most important question is, “what is Nintendo working on”? As many may already be aware, Nintendo is already fast at work on their next set of home and portable hardware. Nintendo, in particular, seem to work on succeeding hardware anywhere from six months to two years after their current generation lineup is released on the market. What we know is that “Nintendo Fusion” is a possible name that Nintendo is using for their next-gen hardware.

On Thursday, May 29th, 2003, Nintendo of America Inc. purchased the domain name nintendofusion.com. They purchased the domain from the same Melbourne, Australia-based registrar they use for all of their other official domain names: Melbourne IT Ltd. At precisely 12:17 p.m. GMT on January 21st (just about an hour and a half ago), the WHOIS database record for nintendofusion.com was updated.

You can see all of the aforementioned information related to nintendofusion.com right here. Alternatively, we’ve listed it below for you.

Domain Name: nintendofusion.com
    Registry Domain ID: 98528369_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.melbourneit.com
    Registrar URL: http://www.melbourneit.com.au
    Updated Date: 2013-04-02T09:18:58Z
    Creation Date: 2003-05-29T19:33:46Z
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2014-05-30T05:33:46Z
    Registrar: Melbourne IT Ltd
    Registrant Name: Nintendo of America Inc.
    Registrant Organization: Nintendo of America Inc.
    Registrant Street: 4820 150th Avenue NE
    Registrant City: Redmond
    Registrant State/Province: WA
    Registrant Postal Code: 98052
    Registrant Country: US
    Registrant Phone: +1.4258822040
    Registrant Phone Ext:
    Registrant Fax: +1.4258823585
    Registrant Fax Ext:
    Registrant Email: webmaster@nintendo.com
    Name Server: DNS1.NINTENDO.COM
    Name Server: DNS2.NINTENDO.COM
    Last update of WHOIS database: 2014-01-21T12:17:01Z

NOTE: nintendofusion.com was originally purchased because of the Nintendo Fusion Tour — a touring rock music and video game festival sponsored by Nintendo of America. The tour began in 2003, which explains the date of the domain name purchase. This may, or may not be, related to the tipped information below regarding Nintendo’s possible hardware. Additionally, the Nintendo Fusion Tour was last active in 2006.

Now, onto the other stuff.

The following information comes from our source, of whom which has provided us with possible hardware specifications related to Nintendo’s new hardware systems, said to be named “Fusion DS” and “Fusion Terminal,” respectively. I want to reiterate that everything below may not be guaranteed so please take that into consideration when viewing the information.

Fusion DS

CPU: ARMv8-A Cortex-A53 GPU: Custom Adreno 420-based AMD GPU
    COM MEMORY: 3 GB LPDDR3 (2 GB Games, 1 GB OS)
    2 130 mm DVGA (960 x 640) Capacitive Touchscreen
    Slide Out Design with Custom Swivel Tilt Hinge
    Upper Screen made of Gorilla Glass, Comes with Magnetic Cover
    Low End Vibration for Gameplay and App Alerts
    2 Motorized Circle Pads for Haptic Feedback
    Thumbprint Security Scanner with Pulse Sensing Feedback
    2 1mp Stereoptic Cameras
    Multi-Array Microphone
    A, B, X, Y, D-Pad, L, R, 1, 2 Buttons
    3 Axis Tuning Fork Gyroscope, 3 Axis Accelerometer, Magnetometer
    NFC Reader
    3G Chip with GPS Location
    Bluetooth v4.0 BLE Command Node used to Interface with Bluetooth Devices such as Cell Phones, Tablets
    16 Gigabytes of Internal Flash Storage (Possible Future Unit With 32 Gigabytes)
    Nintendo 3DS Cart Slot
    SDHC “Holographic Enhanced” Card Slot up to 128 Gigabyte Limit
    Mini USB I/O
    3300 mAh Li-Ion battery

Fusion Terminal

GPGPU: Custom Radeon HD RX 200 GPU CODENAME LADY (2816 shaders @ 960 MHz, 4.60 TFLOP/s, Fillrates: 60.6 Gpixel/s, 170 Gtexel/s)
    CPU: IBM 64-Bit Custom POWER 8-Based IBM 8-Core Processor CODENAME JUMPMAN (2.2 GHz, Shared 6 MB L4 cache)
    Co-CPU: IBM PowerPC 750-based 1.24 GHz Tri-Core Co-Processor CODENAME HAMMER
    MEMORY: 4 Gigabytes of Unified DDR4 SDRAM CODENAMED KONG, 2 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz (12.8 GB/s) On Die CODENAMED BARREL
    802.11 b/g/n Wireless
    Bluetooth v4.0 BLE
    2 USB 3.0
    1 Coaxial Cable Input
    1 CableCARD Slot
    4 Custom Stream-Interface Nodes up to 4 Wii U GamePads
    Versions with Disk Drive play Wii U Optical Disk (4 Layers Maximum), FUSION Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) and Nintendo 3DS Card Slot
    1 HDMI 2.0 1080p/4K Port
    Dolby TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound
    Inductive Charging Surface for up to 4 FUSION DS or IC-Wii Remote Plus Controllers
    Two versions: Disk Slot Version with 60 Gigs of Internal Flash Storage and Diskless Version with 300 Gigs of Internal Flash Storage

So, until Nintendo officially reveals their next-gen hardware lineup, don’t get too carried away with what we have presented in this article. The domain name, and information provided for the domain name, is entirely real. The hardware name and technical hardware specifications, along with some questionable code names, is another story.

http://kotaku.com/tracking-down-the-...ons-1506566012
    Tracking Down The Odd Rumors About Nintendo's Next Console

Here at Kotaku, we love insider info. We like getting information both from random tipsters and our own sources. And because of those people—to whom we grant anonymity in our reporting—we're able to tell you stories you might not otherwise know about, and give you all the details about games like Titanfall and Alien: Isolation before they're even announced.

Of course, we're not the only ones: other outlets have also reported some terrific scoops using secret sources.

But the danger of anonymous sourcing is that when not handled judiciously, it can allow false information to spread.

Take "Nintendo Fusion," the recently-rumored "next Nintendo console" that you might have seen reported on major gaming websites like Destructoid, The Escapist, and VentureBeat. The rumor is this: in the wake of a rough 2013, Nintendo has started development on their next console, Nintendo Fusion, which will have two parts, called the Fusion DS and Fusion Terminal. There's also a giant list of specs for the system, including some questionable bullet-points like "Thumbprint Security Scanner with Pulse Sensing Feedback" and "SDHC 'Holographic Enhanced' Card Slot up to 128 Gigabyte Limit."

The timing is suspect, given that news just came out about Nintendo's rough 2013, and given that the company's last console launched just over a year ago. But while the list is full of red flags, the premise is certainly possible—plenty of pundits and observers would love to see Nintendo use its mighty developer talent for one hybrid console, rather than two. (Nintendo, when asked about the rumor, told me they don't comment on rumors and speculation.)

There's one bigger problem with this rumor: sketchy sourcing.

Where did all this come from? The above gaming sites all cite this article, written by Kevin McMinn for a website called Nintendo News, which says that this Nintendo Fusion rumor came from "an anonymous tip from one of [their] very reputable sources." Nintendo News presents the specs and information as a possibility, not a guarantee, and they warn readers to be skeptical about what's written there.

But when reached by e-mail last night, McMinn told me he doesn't actually know who gave him this Nintendo Fusion story. Although he believes that this is a "very reputable source," McMinn said he doesn't know who they are or how they might be privy to so many specific details about a new Nintendo console.

"I know little to nothing about the person who sent the email with the information," McMinn said. "All I know is that the person has been proven to have inside information and has given details to other sources as well; not just Nintendo News."

McMinn didn't elaborate, but said he hasn't published everything he's received from this anonymous tipster in the past, and what's more, he seems to regret allowing a rumor like this to spread.

"I'm really not sure why the Internet is blowing up right now over this," McMinn told me. "I've made it completely clear on numerous occasions throughout the article that the information is not 100% guaranteed and for readers to take caution when viewing the contents. I'm at a point now where I'll probably just keep tips to myself and not publish the info. This one article has been nothing more than a pain in the neck, really."

But the rumor might not have even started at Nintendo News. Yesterday, a website called GaminRealm also published those same specs, complete with one hell of a warning:

"Before I go any further though, let me make a disclaimer: Take all of this with a huge grain of salt. I'm not going to lie and make it out to seem like I have inside industry sources, because I don't. The information you're about to see comes from an anonymous origin, and an acquaintance of mine brought this to my attention – I'm just being honest with you. Yep, it's one of those situations."
    In other words, GaminRealm's tipster could have been anyone ranging from Shigeru Miyamoto to a 14-year-old 4channer. Both websites list the same spec breakdown for this alleged Nintendo Fusion, and neither writer seems to know who provided the information in the first place.

It's not our norm to ask other reporters about their sources, but when a rumor is spreading and the origin of that rumor seems potentially suspect, we have to ask for any context that will help us size things up and discern what's worth sharing with our readers. So in an attempt to distinguish fact from fiction and untangle the confusing sourcing here, I asked GaminRealm founder Marlon Reid for more context.

"Our information came from one of our own sources whose information I cannot disclose," Reid told me in an e-mail. "I am well aware of [Nintendo News]. Unfortunately for them, my reporter was the first to have that info and has had that info for a while now."

Reid wouldn't elaborate on who sent GaminRealm the information or why they put a disclaimer like that, insisting in a follow-up e-mail that he "can not disclose source information," although the article itself makes it quite clear that writer Jahmai Williams did not know who sent in this info or whether it's real or not.

Meanwhile, Nintendo News's McMinn said he isn't sure whether the rumor he reported is legitimate.

"With regard to the hardware specifications, I can't give you an accurate answer," he told me in an e-mail. "I don't know enough about the listed hardware to provide you with an educated answer. For that reason alone, I cannot tell you if I think it holds any weight."

This is how the sausage gets made—from one or two anonymous e-mails to some of the largest websites in gaming. Flimsy rumors like Nintendo Fusion illustrate just how strange some of this stuff can get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Add 3DS emu/compatibility to Wuu. Sell Wuus.

Come on, Nintendo. Wake up. It's not 1995 anymore.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Hopefully when Nintendo releases their next portable and console they use the same format. Own both systems and you're playing Bravely Default 47 on the home console but have to go to work, take the game out and put it in your portable, and play it on your downtime or lunch break, etc.

Less development costs because they'd develop one title that works on both the handheld and the console. More third party games because selling to two different markets while having a single development cost. More games since it's essentially a single console. Like the TG16 and TG Express Portable.

*edit*

Also better for gamers because if we have both consoles, we don't have to pay two prices to play the same game. Kind of like Sony's cross buy, but it works with all physical games and all digital games. Since Nintendo now has their NNID which allows one Wii U and one 3DS to be tied to it. So they could have the Fusion NNID and allow one of each Fusion console to work on it.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-22-2014 at 07:40 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

The Fusion Terminal and Fusion DS codenames/names and *specs* may very well indeed be nonsense, however, the following from January 2013 is absolutely legit:

This is from Nintendo's official Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ending March 2013.

Jan. 31, 2013

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/libr...130131/05.html

As you might already know from some newspaper reports, we will reorganize our development divisions next month for the first time in nine years. Two divisions which have independently developed handheld devices and home consoles will be united to form the Integrated Research & Development Division, which will be headed by Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director.

Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms. What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.
    Some time ago it was technologically impossible to have the same architecture for handheld devices and home consoles and what we did was therefore reasonable. Although it has not been long since we began to integrate the architecture and this will have no short-term result, we believe that it will provide a great benefit to our platform business in the long run. I am covering this topic as today is our Corporate Management Policy Briefing.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/ninte...u_and_3ds.html

Nintendo discusses its next-gen strategy beyond Wii U and 3DS

Future Nintendo platforms will share similar architecture, Iwata reveals. Being built to "make software assets more transferable" between either platform.

By David Scammell (@VG_Dave) On 31st Jan, 2013 at 1:24pm

Nintendo has begun discussing its strategy for its next-generation consoles beyond Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, revealing that it hopes to build an architecture that allows the firm to "make software assets more transferable" between either device, and avoid the software shortages it's seen with its current-generation platforms.

Development on the architecture for the future platforms began last year, president Satoru Iwata announced during the firm's Q3 financial results briefing last night, and the intention, it seems, is for future Nintendo titles to be compatible with either console.

"Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms," said Iwata. "What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform."

Iwata's comments suggest that Nintendo hopes to be able to build the same games for both its next-generation home console and handheld device.

"They will also work to avoid software line-up shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware," Iwata added.

"Some time ago it was technologically impossible to have the same architecture for handheld devices and home consoles and what we did was therefore reasonable."

The decision to share games between home and handheld consoles could shake up the industry.

Until now, the differences in technical capabilities between home and handheld consoles have forced publishers and developers to prepare individual titles for either market.

"Although it has not been long since we began to integrate the architecture and this will have no short-term result, we believe that it will provide a great benefit to our platform business in the long run," Iwata continued.

It all seems a bit too early for Nintendo to be discussing a successor to Wii U, of course. The console only launched in the UK in November. But with sales of the console failing to maintain momentum, could Nintendo be looking to move onto the next-generation sooner rather than later?

Whatever their next gen handheld and next gen console are, Nintendo has been developing both of them since 2012.

This week's rumors may be bogus as far as details, but they no doubt at least stem from the real statements made by Iwata a year ago.
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 01-22-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Nintendo's CEO Iwata recently admitted they have to start thinking about more mobile ventures, although that still sounded like it would remain Nintendo hardware or software licensed to another vendor. 3DS integration would be great, and you really wonder why this did not happen? GBA could be used on the GameCube. They should have done this already.

In terms of new hardware, one would assume they are already well on their way to redesigning the Wii U to be cheaper to make, as all manufacturers tend to do. Many have argued they need to offer a version that makes the GamePad optional to purchase, so the system could be sold at say $150. I think rather than a redesign for cost, they should immediately start working on 3DS/2DS integration. To say they need better graphics on it I think really doesn't matter.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Hopefully when Nintendo releases their next portable and console they use the same format. Own both systems and you're playing Bravely Default 47 on the home console but have to go to work, take the game out and put it in your portable, and play it on your downtime or lunch break, etc.

First off, I think this Nintendo rumor is totally bogus, but I will agree with your take on it. The next Nintendo gaming system should be a portable/home hybrid. Instead of having separate specs for the portable system and the home system, they should be one and the same. Basically, the portable should simply have a docking station that would have HDMI output, and the bluetooth for wireless controllers, etc, etc. But the actual guts of the hardware should be exactly the same for both, so that you can have some real deal transfaring, if you know what I'm sayin...

Maybe Nintendo could hook up with Nvidia and base the system around the new Tegra K1 chip, which supposedly is capable of 360/PS3 level graphics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The trouble is, Nintendo CAN'T shove out another console without alienating a ton of Wii U adopters (ie: Their core audience). I suppose if they released it Christmas 2015 maybe they could get away with it. But definitely not this year.

Also, aren't there a bunch of rumors swirling around about Sega getting back into the Hardware market with a system based around their arcade hardware?
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    The trouble is, Nintendo CAN'T shove out another console without alienating a ton of Wii U adopters (ie: Their core audience). I suppose if they released it Christmas 2015 maybe they could get away with it. But definitely not this year.
    That's exactly it. They're stuck for the time being. If they make a move too soon they wind up in the same boat Sega was in 20 years ago. They screwed the pooch with the Wii U and probably have to eat it for a little while. The best scenario for them would be if they were to come out strong in 2015/2016 and market the new console as their "real" next gen entry and requalify the Wii U as if it were always meant to be some kind of mid-cycle Wii offshoot, kind of like how the DS was at one point described as not really being the next entry in the Game Boy line up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    The next Nintendo gaming system should be a portable/home hybrid. Instead of having separate specs for the portable system and the home system, they should be one and the same. .

That is not what's happening though.

Last year Nintendo state they started R&D in 2012 on a new standalone console and standalone handheld using a common architecture. I'm sure the two platforms will work together much more closely than DS & Wii, or 3DS & Wii U, but the new systems won't be one and the same. Nintendo isn't making a hybrid handheld-console. They will share the same basic architecture (meaning CPU / GPU will be from the same provider(s) but the actual spec of each chipset will be different. Obviously the console will have higher performance than the handheld.

Wii U is dead. It's far worse off than GameCube was 14 months into its lifecucle, and Wii U is selling worse than even Dreamcast did in its very short official life. I doubt Nintendo is merely going to redesign Wii U to be cheaper and turn that into a new console. That is not the same as making the Wii U cheaper to make and cutting the price, which I'm sure Nintendo is doing. However for their next home console, they probably started from scratch in 2012-2013. A new chipset. They're also not going to have Wii anywhere in the name since the Wii-brand is now completely dead as far as consumers are concerned.

The DS name is still good, as of early 2014. So the next handheld may have the DS name in it, unless Nintendo decides to do away with two screens. Maybe they'll bring back the GameBoy brand, who knows.

The only thing that's clear from Nintendo's statements is that they're working on two different platforms with a common architecture. The handheld won't be as powerful as the console, but it should be much easier to port between the two.

GBA and GameCube had nothing in common hardware wise. Neither did DS and Wii, nor does 3DS and Wii U. But that will change with Nintendo's next gen hardware offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post

Don't worry, a new Nintendo console isn't coming out this year, or in 2015.

Iwata said (which I posted above) that their efforts won't have an effect in the short term.

Iwata:
    "this will have no short-term result, we believe that it will provide a great benefit to our platform business in the long run. "
    The next handheld could be out sometime in 2016, and the next console could be out in late 2016, but more likely, 2017.

The next main console entry of The Legend of Zelda for Wii U won't be out until fall 2015 anyway since Nintendo / Tecmo Hyrule Warriors for Wii U should be out sometime in 2014.

Nintendo will try its best to make Wii U live through 2015, even if they're the only ones supporting it. Late 2016 or 2017 would be the timeframe for the next console.
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 01-22-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

First off, I think this Nintendo rumor is totally bogus, but I will agree with your take on it. The next Nintendo gaming system should be a portable/home hybrid. Instead of having separate specs for the portable system and the home system, they should be one and the same. Basically, the portable should simply have a docking station that would have HDMI output, and the bluetooth for wireless controllers, etc, etc. But the actual guts of the hardware should be exactly the same for both, so that you can have some real deal transfaring, if you know what I'm sayin...
    Or what you're saying would work better. Portable system that can be used as a home console. They can use low resolution screens to cut costs for the portable, when playing at home though, can play up to 1080p.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxscroll
    That is not what's happening though.
    Well, it's less that's how we think it's going to turn out, more hopeful. It might not even be that profitable. Seems more developer and consumer friendly than anything.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think they will have a shared library with shared hardware architecture. But I suspect that there will still be a distinct handheld system and a console system rather than a combination that's capable of both tasks out of the box.

Many just want one option or the other rather than both. By staying with separate handheld and console systems, it allows them to keep hardware cost in line yet they gain all the potential advantages a shared ecosystem could offer Nintendo such as a universal pool of software rather than supporting two distinct lines.

They have to do something like this if they want to remain a hardware provider. Their console business is in bad shape and their 3DS business is down in many ways compared to past generations despite being successful now (although far off their projections). It got off to a slow start, 3rd party development is significantly down compared to past generations, much of the casual business has evaporated, and the 3DS has sold 35 million units and is reaching the later stages of its success (It's 3 years old now which means it's down hill from here or will be pretty soon) compared to over 150 million DS units.

And that's with the Vita essentially being a non starter compared with the DS that went up against the successful PSP back when Sony cared about succeeding here. If they don't reinvent themselves soon, they risk failing even with their handheld line that traditionally has kept them going through lean periods with their consoles.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-09-2014 at 05:44 PM.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The next Nintendo gaming system should be a portable/home hybrid. Instead of having separate specs for the portable system and the home system, they should be one and the same. Basically, the portable should simply have a docking station that would have HDMI output, and the bluetooth for wireless controllers, etc, etc.
    So pretty much a Wii U that has the main guts of the system integrated into the gamepad, with the "console" itself just a way to connect to the tv?