Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible future alumni guests?

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Possible future alumni guests?

There was a GREAT line-up of folks this year - more and more, I regret not hogging the keynotes. I would've needed twice as much videotape though!

But y'know who I'd love to see at CGE someday? The man chiefly responsible for so many of my youthful hours and hours of gaming: Odyssey2 programmer Ed Averett.

Any other recommendations/wish list nominations? I'm sure we could come up with a colorful cast of characters.

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

More chicks! Carol Shaw, Roberta Williams, and...uh...I'm drawing a blank right now.

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Jane Jensen.

I will be eternally grateful if someone can get her to appear at CGE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's another idea since I think he lives in the US now...how about Alexei Pajitnov, the co-creator of Tetris? After all, I think he's running his own business venture now, so I don't think there'd be too many levels of corporate PR filters to get through to reach him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it would be great to see some of the older computer game programmers and people involved at these shows. For instance next to George Sanger, I have always thought Michael Land was one of the best computer game composers. However, talk about a recluse! You can't find squat on the guy on line and what is there is mainly dead links these days!

But yes, getting the 2 Dudes from Adromeda at the show, Ms. Jensen, and Either Ken or Roberta...or hell,...both Williams would be very cool. You have to admit it is strange that the guy behind the Leisure Suit Larry games hasn't been to a CGE yet...you would think those games would have served as a basis to how to live in life here at DP hehe...

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Eugene Jarvis. Can't get much more famous in the arcade business

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How about getting a bit more all-encompassing, and going more for classic computer stuff? I'd love to see a reunion of former Lucasarts employees. Imagine how awesome reuniting Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer would be, discussing the making of The Secret of Monkey Island, among others, and the rise and fall of adventure games. They're both intelligent, funny men, and would create an amazing discussion.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Future Guests

Absolutely agree that Ed and Linda Avarett, who created about 75% of the O2 software, would make great guests at CGE. They were a brilliant husband-wife team who never got enough coverage. And if you give a fair look at O2 games such as UFO and WAR OF NERVES and tell me they weren't every bit as innovative as the stuff Atari was doing at the same time, my evaluation of you as a human being could drop as much as .005.

But to me, the old friend and game superstar who MUST be at next year's hoo-hah is Roger Sharpe. First, he is the world's foremost expert on pinball machines (and I detected a lot of pin fans at CGE2K3), has written the seminal book(s) on the subject (back when pinball machines were pinball machines and not today's 25 lb. weaklings). Roger even created and wrote the "Pinball Palace" column in the original EG and edited Videogames Magazine before joining the Dark Side to work at Midway/Williams (licensing and marketing director) and oversaw the Mortal Kombat explosion. Today, I believe he is with Bromley and helped launch the Muppets Haunted House Adventure game. He's been an integral part of this field since before electronic games arrived.

As one of my oldest friends in the indystry, I can also guarantee loads of fascinating stories.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I'd love to see Ralph Baer and Alaxei Pajitnov, my first CGE he was scheduled to show up and he was ill and I've heard nothing since. Both of them would be interesting to me.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Al Lowe!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was a talk at the GDC this year with Eugene Jarvis, Ed Logg, Ed Rotberg (I know he was there this year) and a few others (I can't believe I am blanking on the names now). It was awesome! Eugene is the nicest guy. Any one (or all) of these guys would be great.
    GET OUT OF THE WALLS CHEATER!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to see at least one person that had to do with Nintendo or the NES.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Steve Woita was there, and he programmed something on the NES...forget what it was though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -^Cro§Bow^-
    I think it would be great to see some of the older computer game programmers and people involved at these shows
    I know it's not quite what you meant, but what about Steve Russell? Baer & Bushnell have both been there, how about another founder?

But yes, getting the 2 Dudes from Adromeda at the show, Ms. Jensen, and Either Ken or Roberta...or hell,...both Williams would be very cool.
    Haven't talked to Roberta ever, but Ken seems a little forgetful after all this time, at least with what I talked to him about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Eugene Jarvis. Can't get much more famous in the arcade business
    Heh. The only "problem" is that he swears like a sailor, so the youngsters would have to leave the room. :-p
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

I like Fezzes. Fezzes are cool. ubikuberalles's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ray Kassar?
    Sam Tramiel?
    Eveyone bring some tomatoes and other objects for throwing!

Seriouly, I liked the stuff from the arcade programmers and I would like to see more of it. Who was the author of the Galaga arcade? I would love to see that keynote speech.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forget the name of the designer of Galaga...I doubt he knows a word of English though.

Seriously, though, I'd love to hear Ray Kassar's side of the story sometime. The guy gets slagged off a lot from within the ranks, but a lot of good stuff came out of his era too. Sure, maybe it had nothing to do with him and he just happened to be in the big office at the time, but I'd love to hear his story. I just hope the crowd would be polite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default keynotes

I would have to aggree with all those who have mentioned Ed and Linda Avarett (odyssey2 games). I would really like to see/talk with these folks who's games I grew up with!!!

Also, anyone else involved with the Odyssey2 would be nice. I don't think there has been one person from this group of programmers yet at any gaming convention!

----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I seek strength, not to be greater than by brother, but to fight my greatest enemy - myself!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ozyr's Odyssey2 Archive!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Avaretts & EG Online

I know they designed and programmed the majority of the O2 games. If you met them on the street, you'd think they were a middle class couple on their way to church. Extremely down to earth with some amazing stories to tell, including the whole concept behind the O3 and why it went belly-up.

The other major designer I remember from the O2 scene was the fellow who developed the combination board-video games. Quest for the Rings was the first and there was also some kind of Wall. St. time machine game. His name completely eludes me for the moment and he wasn't interviewed in any of the "Inside Gaming" columns in any of the old EGs I have around here.

Which brings up a subject that should probably start a new loop, but I'm not up to that right now. So...

Unfortunately, I've only got about 20 issues of the original EG -- many moves (one from NYC to Las Vegas) -- decimated my collection, but I do know that Arnie and Joyce have a complete set. Obviously others have complete sets as well. Therefore, I'd like to see somebody post PDF files of the entire set of issues. I was asked about this several times at CGE and while I can say I'd love to see it, Armie, Joyce and I don't own the material. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be anyone who actually does, as the material has changed hands from the original owners and I can't imagine the new owners (if they still retain the rights after all this time) having any objections (I'd check, of course) or being able to show any damage. Having a library of the original EG (and the Software Encylopedias and other spin-off publications) posted online would be something that would be both very cool and a great data resource. I've seen a set of the covers online and, oddly, the editorials (including the funny early issues where Arnie had to write as "Frank Laney Jr." for business reasons), but that's it.

Anyway, if someone is willing to track down the status of the magazines and who the content belongs to, if anyone, they would thereafter have my full support and cooperation to this noble endeavor.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: The Avaretts & EG Online

Quote Originally Posted by BillKunkel
    I'd like to see somebody post PDF files of the entire set of issues. I was asked about this several times at CGE and while I can say I'd love to see it, Armie, Joyce and I don't own the material. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be anyone who actually does, as the material has changed hands from the original owners and I can't imagine the new owners (if they still retain the rights after all this time) having any objections (I'd check, of course) or being able to show any damage. Having a library of the original EG (and the Software Encylopedias and other spin-off publications) posted online would be something that would be both very cool and a great data resource. I've seen a set of the covers online and, oddly, the editorials (including the funny early issues where Arnie had to write as "Frank Laney Jr." for business reasons), but that's it.

Anyway, if someone is willing to track down the status of the magazines and who the content belongs to, if anyone, they would thereafter have my full support and cooperation to this noble endeavor.
    Great idea! I would love to see EG on the Web.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would also like to see the original Arcade Alleys from Video magazine.
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014