Thread: So yeah, that free-to-play Steel Diver: Sub Wars game on 3DS eShop is definitely worth checking out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Default So yeah, that free-to-play Steel Diver: Sub Wars game on 3DS eShop is definitely worth checking out

Steel Diver: Sub Wars is free to download on 3DS eshop, and free to play, in both single player as well as multiplayer local and internet modes.

If you find you enjoy the game enough, there is the option to get Premium version if you want additional content (missions, more subs).
    There are also, yet further additional premium subs already out.

The gameplay in SD:SW is from a first person perspective, so this is a very different game than the old Steel Diver in 2011 that came out at 3DS' launch.

The framerate is solid and smooth (seems to be 30fps) even with 3D on.

Online, you play in teams, there seems to be all sorts of different ways to beat the other side. Potentially a great deal of replay value, which is only increased by leveling up and adding crew members to strengthen the different abilities of your different subs.

There's even a morse code chatroom before each match starts, plus morse code can also be used in-game.

Different submarine maneuvering tactics are all-important.

Single player has training modes and missions.

Steel Diver: Sub Wars represents a new business model for Nintendo (F2P). You can download and play the game both online and offline for free, without having to pay a dime for it. Yet, the Premium version for $9.99 offers more for those who want it.

From what I have played so far there is a great deal of depth to this game, no pun intended.

What you get if you pay vs what you get for free:

There's currently a further five additional historical DLC subs for 99 cents each. So about 16 bucks gets you everything in Steel Diver: Sub Wars.
    No idea if there's yet more content and/or subs planned for later.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjKYoI3ehxQ
    Game Website: http://steeldiver.nintendo.com/
    Developer Website: http://www.vitei.com/
    Price: Only available on 3DS eShop, Free to Play or $9.99 for Premium version which is the full game, and 5 more subs available within the game's own shop.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I LOVE the original Steel Diver. Spent $40 on it at launch and don't regret it. It's a shame this new game is digital only, I would've spent $40 on it no problem. Meanwhile, my 3DS collects dust, I'm not interested in phoned-in Mario/Yoshi/Kirby games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by GREEN00 View Post
    I LOVE the original Steel Diver. Spent $40 on it at launch and don't regret it. It's a shame this new game is digital only, I would've spent $40 on it no problem. Meanwhile, my 3DS collects dust, I'm not interested in phoned-in Mario/Yoshi/Kirby games.

The original Steel Diver is a great game, loved it too. Yet Steel Diver Sub Wars is really something. 4 on 4 MP is unsinkably FUN

Morse-code chat is the coolest thing ever.

Multiplayer seems very balanced --Even players of high level with unlocked subs (even those with the special DLC subs) that have crew upgrades can easily get wiped out if people don't now how to play & maneuver well enough.

Provided the current server issues get resolved, and they need to be, Sub Wars could become one of the most fun handheld games ever.
    At least it has the potential to become a hit, and a classic.

Very unique game, there's nothing else really like on the market that I'm aware of. I gave the free version a shot and didn't regret it.
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 02-17-2014 at 02:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I keep forgetting to look into this new one as I'm a sucker for a good submarine console game going back to Silent Service on the NES which is fantastic (and is even more versatile if you use a 2nd controller.) I had the 3DS launch game, don't anymore as I just didn't use it. The side scrolling stages were fairly decent and the battleship/advance wars like game was ok as well, but the 3D torpedo run was my favorite and favorite to hate because of the asinine choice of spinning myself around in a chair to aim on subs to fire on them (ugh) and I know had they not done that I'd still be playing it.

The point is this game is kind of like that 3D sub sinking mode just greatly expanded and that's why I find what I've seen so far interesting but even if it is free initially I want to see some reviews on it and how gimped not paying sets you as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Ah yeah^ speaking of old submarine sims like the Silent Service games, I remember briefly trying to play 688 Attack Sub on both Amiga and Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red Storm Rising and Wolfpack on the PC back in the late 80s early 90s was where I Sub'd at. I also own Seawolf, but could never quite get into it like the other two.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Here, is this review helpful?

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/...diver_sub_wars

The downfall of many free-to-play games developed by other companies have been their so-called "pay-to-win" models - the stuff you can buy with money clearly being better than the free alternatives. Nintendo, thankfully, has minimised this pitfall, as none of the extra subs are significantly better - they all simply have minor differences in stats, thus making it a matter of whether you prefer a little extra speed over a little extra torpedo range, for example.