Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Original Famicom and Famicom AV

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question about Original Famicom and Famicom AV

Hey guys, quick question. I'm going to be buying a famicom and disk system soon and I was wondering what would be better and why; a av modded original Famicom, or the newer Famicom AV

thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Skirting your question for a moment, regardless of the choice, the best option you have would be not to buy a Famicom Disk System at all. The FDS is such a piece of shit. More retro gamers need to speak up about it. I'm a tech savvy guy, able to repair faulty consoles and the like, but the FDS will bring you one headache after another. Famously, people will tell you that the proprietary disk belt that is required to run the system is prone to snapping on its own and then needing replacements which come from 20 year old dwindling stocks. That's only the start of the FDS's problems.

Much more problematic is that the read header is prone to misalignment on its own, rending the thing unable to read any FDS game, and requiring the precision of a surgeon to get properly aligned again. Then there's the fact that FDS games are stoned on unprotected magnetic tape that is over two decades old. If even the smallest spec of dust contaminates the belt, that sector will become corrupted, which renders the entire disk useless. Slowly but surely, this happened to EVERY SINGLE FDS game I owned. I even bought a copy of Metroid that was brand new, sealed in its package - old stock as its called - and when I opened it and played it, guess what, a sector went bad, and the disk was useless.

I implore you, do NOT buy an FDS. It's prone to severe issues. Instead, buy a Powerpak or Everdrive N8 flashcart and load your FDS roms through that. You'll be eternally glad you did.

Okay, so now back to your initial question.

The AV Famicom HVC-101 is the system to go for. Not only is the composite video going to be better on it, its capable of dual mono, you can use any NES controller you want with it, it still has the Famicom DB-15 expansion port, and it doesn't yellow with age like the original HVC-001. You can use a SNES/N64/Gamecube av cable with it, and also a Super Famicom/model 1 Sega Genesis power supply with it.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for the info. I really wanted the fds for Super Mario Bros 2, but might not be worth the investment after hearing that. The seller says it has a new belt, but sounds like there are more issues.

I've heard about the ever drive carts. What I wondered is if playing the roms has issues associated with emulation, or do games run perfect because it is on the right hardware?

thanks

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by wake_me View Post
    thanks for the info. I really wanted the fds for Super Mario Bros 2, but might not be worth the investment after hearing that. The seller says it has a new belt, but sounds like there are more issues.

I've heard about the ever drive carts. What I wondered is if playing the roms has issues associated with emulation, or do games run perfect because it is on the right hardware?

thanks
    FDS games run fine on my powerpak, but I think FDS games that are more than 1 disc will not play.
    Flash carts play the games perfectly because they are being played on the original hardware.

I had a sharp twin famicom just for Mario bros. 2. The FDS version is an excellent game, it puts the snes all-stars version to shame.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    FDS games run fine on my powerpak, but I think FDS games that are more than 1 disc will not play.
    Flash carts play the games perfectly because they are being played on the original hardware.

I had a sharp twin famicom just for Mario bros. 2. The FDS version is an excellent game, it puts the snes all-stars version to shame.
    ah I didn't even think of that. Are the twin famicom's reliable?

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

If you scavenge these forums you'll find a lot of info about how the hardware varies. You'll most likely be interested in the major differences though, such as the mic, hardwired vs. detachable controllers, and output (RF/AV).

As for the FDS, choose for yourself. I own 23 games for FDS, some were brand new but mostly used. I've come across about 3 bad disks in my time and sold them off cheaply to people who presumably have modified units for rewriting to "fix" them. None of my existing games have gone bad. I repaired my first FDS which I bought broken, and had it for about 3 years. Definitely long enough to go through all my games many times and all that. I ended up selling that in the original box and now I own a 2nd FDS which I fixed and it's running great.

I've yet to experience the belt failing while playing. I also haven't had an FDS go out of tune either. Not sure how long you have to play your system before one of these things happens, really.

Definitely a bunch of games I really like that are for FDS and the games that use the FM synth really come to life with that distinct vibrant exciting sound it can produce. I wouldn't want to not have my synth for these games now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is not FDS related, but there is one negative I've found with the AV Famicom. When playing Konami games that use the VRC chip for extra sound channels, like Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania 3), the native Famicom channels are substantially softer than the VRC. In other words, it outputs loud music with nearly non-existent sound effects. As a result, I prefer playing the game using the PowerPak and a resistor-modded toaster NES. On the flip side, while the resistor mod restores some of the FDS sound, the FM chip in an actual FDS sounds quite a bit different in games like the original Legend of Zelda. The sword-throwing and door closing sounds come immediately to mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

^ While there is some truth to what is said above about expansion sound being softer than 2A03 music on an AV Famicom HVC-101, I have never found it to be a significant issue, and even if it was, it's a small price to pay for all the other benefits the HVC-101 hardware has over the other variants.

As for the Twin Famicom, again I don't recommend it, because half of the hardware is dedicated to the same failure prone FDS. I owned a Twin Famicom for years, and it too suffered the same failings as the standalone, and as its even more integrated and complex, its even harder to service than a standalone FDS. Also, they're mad expensive, especially if you want one with built in turbo fire. Three foot hardwired controllers that plug into the back of the console, inferior composite to the HVC-101, and they're also huge boxy and heavy units like a VCR.

It's also true that the flashcarts can't play FDS games that span multiple disks, but very few did to begin with, and the ones that did were all Japanese text adventures that are not at all import friendly. Probably not games you'd play even if you could run them on the flashcarts.

Again, let me save you the money you'd spend on an FDS+ library and instead invest that in a flashcart. Both the NES Powerpak and the Everdrive are good choices, and they both offer things the other does not, so there's no wrong choice there.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I'm thinking when I finally collect some FDS titles like SMB2j it will be just to get the boxes, manual and original disk as a display piece because I can already play the stuff via other means. Maybe I would save some money by purposely buying the dead disks for display instead of working ones?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    ^ While there is some truth to what is said above about expansion sound being softer than 2A03 music on an AV Famicom HVC-101, I have never found it to be a significant issue, and even if it was, it's a small price to pay for all the other benefits the HVC-101 hardware has over the other variants.
    Actually the expansion audio is too loud on the AV Fami, if you try Akumajou Densetsu on it the VRC6 totally overwhelms the 2A03 audio. You can fix this by changing out the resistors for the two audio pins on the 2A03 for ones with lower resistance, which bumps up the volume.

I owned a Twin Famicom for years, and it too suffered the same failings as the standalone, and as its even more integrated and complex, its even harder to service than a standalone FDS.
    Not really, the drive is exactly the same so servicing it is exactly the same as a standalone FDS. Really the only difference is that you have to undo a few more screws in order to open the case. I got through working on my Twin recently when I added an NESRGB and it's honestly not too complicated inside (well, save for the power circuitry which makes no sense).

Also, they're mad expensive, especially if you want one with built in turbo fire. Three foot hardwired controllers that plug into the back of the console, inferior composite to the HVC-101, and they're also huge boxy and heavy units like a VCR.
    They're really not that expensive, even the Turbo Twin Fami is only a little bit more expensive. I don't know why on your site you listed the Turbo Twin as being between $300-600 in value considering I've never seen one go for that much unless it was part of a huge lot. I got my red original Twin for $150 shipped, and it was professionally serviced on top of that. True, the hardwired controllers are painfully short but you can use a converter for NES controllers with it. The composite is only a little worse than the AV Fami, but I've noticed it's a little brighter like how it is on the NES front loader. Plus, there's no NES or Famicom system that has the same charm as this beauty:

Again, let me save you the money you'd spend on an FDS+ library and instead invest that in a flashcart.
    Ehh, I've never been completely pleased with how the flash carts tackle FDS games. The wavetable channel always sounds completely off (especially on the Everdrive) and there's something to be said for inserting an actual disk and hearing the drive load the disk. I've never been one for magnetic media but there's just something about the FDS that keeps drawing me back in. I've been through three FDSes and two Twin Famis (including the one I traded to you years ago), and every time I got rid of one, I had the same feelings as you when it came to the FDS. But like I said, the damn thing keeps drawing me back in and I think it's got me for good this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    ...there's no NES or Famicom system that has the same charm as this beauty:
    Simply "wow." That is an absolutely gorgeous looking Twin Famicom. Did you photoshop that picture, Apolloboy? The red is so, sooooo rich.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

And he's a jerk for having that Hebereke cart in the Twin. Just rubbing it in, huh.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    The red is so, sooooo rich.
    It's soaked in the blood of Nintendo's competitors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Simply "wow." That is an absolutely gorgeous looking Twin Famicom. Did you photoshop that picture, Apolloboy?
    That's not mine, the picture comes from here: http://retro-video-gaming.com/catego.../twin-famicom/

Although it really is that red.
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I owned a red Twin Famicom too. Its red......as in the red ring of death.

Hate to harp, but again, the FDS is an incredibly unreliable, fault prone format that you can end up sinking hundreds into in hopes of finding one that will work for a good deal of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can flash carts actually handle the FDS's expanded audio? Of course NESes can't, so the answer is probably no... so you'd be playing FDS games with some audio missing, just like if you were playing it on a NES (unless you do that middle pins to bottom port mod)? That sounds annoying...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A nes can if you do a simple mod but on the everdrive playing a game like fds metroid the audio is all of tune,same with a bunch that I have tried.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Simply "wow." That is an absolutely gorgeous looking Twin Famicom. Did you photoshop that picture, Apolloboy? The red is so, sooooo rich.
    Considering that the rest of the image is B&W, yes, it's been edited. It also appears to have been shot with something other than a cell phone, which helps the cause :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I owned a red Twin Famicom too. Its red......as in the red ring of death.
    Pfft, whatever.
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Can flash carts actually handle the FDS's expanded audio? Of course NESes can't, so the answer is probably no... so you'd be playing FDS games with some audio missing, just like if you were playing it on a NES (unless you do that middle pins to bottom port mod)? That sounds annoying...
    Yes. Both the Powerpak and the Everdrive N8 both support mapper 20 (the FDS mapper) with expansion audio. With a Powerpak, you'll need a slightly modified NES, or a slightly modified NES to Famicom adapter to hear the expansion audio, but yes, it does come through perfectly.

Which is why I continue to standby the statement that there's no reason to own the faulty POS hardware that is the FDS. I wish it were good. I want it to be good. The Twin Famicom especially looks so cool. but the truth of the matter is the hardware is extremely unreliable, at which point you have a Famicom that devotes half of its overall bulk to dead weight. No thank you. I'll take an AV Famicom + flashcart over the Twin any day.