Thread: Looking For NES/Famicom/Genesis Adapters That Work On A SupaBoy

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Looking For NES/Famicom/Genesis Adapters That Work On A SupaBoy

A few months back, after looking at reviews for the Retro Duo Portable and the SupaBoy, I picked up a SupaBoy from a Canadian website that was slightly cheaper than eBay. Besides some audio problems like buzzing from the speakers and headphones, and not being able to handle the sound from my Super Gameboy at full volume, I'm okay with my purchase. Thanks to my SupaBoy, I'm playing Super Famicom games that I didn't even know EXISTED when I was a kid! The problem comes when I try to play any OTHER games. The Retro Duo Portable has adapters that play NES, Genesis/Mega Drive, and Gameboy Advance games. Problem is, none of those adapters work on a Supaboy, unless you plug it into a TV, and from what I can see of a Gamester 81 video comparing the 2 portable SNES clones, it uses the audio from the SupaBoy when you plug the Retro Bit NES adapter up to a TV. Are there ANY adapters out there that would work out of the box on a SupaBoy, without having to plug it into a TV? I saw a video from a Japanese reviewer that said, through badly subtitled English, '...on a SupaBoy'. Not 'works on a SupaBoy', or 'compatible on a SupaBoy, just a black space, then 'on a SupaBoy.' They were talking abut Game Joy adapters, for the Pokefami DX, which from what I've seen online, has more problems than my SupaBoy. Does anyone have the Japanese Game Joy Famicom or Mega Drive adapters, and can see if they would let me play Famicom or Genesis games on my SupaBoy? If not, are there adapters that WILL work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

SupaBoy is a SNES clone without external audio/video input. Adapters that need a TV or compatibility with other consoles won't work.

They have to be like Super Game Boy and reasonably follow SNES design limits.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    SupaBoy is a SNES clone without external audio/video input. Adapters that need a TV or compatibility with other consoles won't work.

They have to be like Super Game Boy and reasonably follow SNES design limits.
    I know what doesn't work, namely all the adapters that they made for the Retro Duo Portable. I don't want an RDP, since I'm fine with my SupaBoy. The only problem is the sound from the speakers, but I play my stuff without sound most of the time, anyway. The Super Famicom Tetris background theme can only be entertaining for a small amount of time, before they either become boring, or not worth listening to, That, plus Super Tetris 3 has an annoying voice that says 'single' or 'double' every time you make a line or two. I'm a one liner kind of guy, so hearing "Single" every few seconds get old pretty fast.

I know what won't work, but is there anything that WILL work? After the moderate success most 'system on a chip' retro clones have been having over the past few years, I find it hard to believe that there isn't a way to play NES or Genesis games on the go. The Gen Mobile portable Genesis seems to be barely acceptable according to reviews on You Tube, and I haven't seen many favorable NES/Famicom portable clones that I'd buy. Some look good, but without seeing an honest review, or holding one in my hands, I'm not sold. I'm not spending the same amount of money I did on a Supaboy on a Retro Duo Pro, just to have something I can play the NES, SNES, and Genesis carts I've got.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by okame View Post
    Are there ANY adapters out there that would work out of the box on a SupaBoy, without having to plug it into a TV?

For the last time, NO. The RetroPort and RetroGen are the only such adapters, and they're made by Retro-Bit and not Hyperkin. They are produced by the same asian manufacturer as the PokeFami DX and the RetroDuo Portable for use with that device and other Retro-Bit products. Hyperkin's product line is not compatible with either of them, nor is Yobo's. If you want to use them in a portable, you need to buy a RetroDuo Portable. the Supaboy is both a figurative and literal brick when it comes to this.

I saw a video from a Japanese reviewer that said, through badly subtitled English, '...on a SupaBoy'. Not 'works on a SupaBoy', or 'compatible on a SupaBoy, just a black space, then 'on a SupaBoy.' They were talking abut Game Joy adapters, for the Pokefami DX, which from what I've seen online, has more problems than my SupaBoy.

He was speaking of video output to a tv, not to the LCD. You cannot use those adapters with the SupaBoy as a portable. Repeat. The Supaboy is incapable of external video passthrough. This is something ONLY the RetroDuo Portable does. There are no other adapters becides the Retro-Bit ones, and even if there were, you still wouldn't be able to use them on the SupaBoy because the device lacks the ability to feed external video signals to its LCD. Only the RetroDuo Portable can do this.

Does anyone have the Japanese Game Joy Famicom or Mega Drive adapters, and can see if they would let me play Famicom or Genesis games on my SupaBoy? If not, are there adapters that WILL work?
    The Game Joy FC Adapter and MD Adapter are identical to the Retro-Bit RetroPort and RetroGen Adapters. The only difference is the name. They're made by the company that makes Retro-Bit's stuff, and only work with Game Joy/Retro-Bit products. Not Hyperkin.

Again as I told you in the other thread, you should have bought a RetroDuo Portable. This is yet another shortcoming of the Supaboy.
    Last edited by Satoshi_Matrix; 05-06-2014 at 08:29 PM.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i looked at reviews for thr Supaboy and RDP for about a month. Satoshi_Matrix review made me go with the RDP. it has an adaptor to play NES, FC, and Genesis. i didnt want a portable to play each one so I went with the RDP.