Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: At Games Colecovision, Intellivision, 2600 Flashbacks Pre-order

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does the controller in port 2 on the Colecovision Flashback do anything in single player games?

I know they screwed things up so it won't be a plug and play, but it might be worth modifying a wired AtGames Atari joystick to keep plugged into the second controller port for games like Pepper II if this old trick still works. I know it's not an easy thing to get one of these Colecovision Flashback controllers working on the real deal (Unlike with the Intellivison version where a simple adapter has made these new controllers compatible), but I bet the troubles are mostly keypad related.

Getting an Atari joystick working might just be an easy rewiring job to change its pinout.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    To further complicate, Walmart are selling an Atari Flashback 5 with WIRED controllers.
    I wish the Sam's Club special edition had this along with its paddles.

But alas, if I want wired paddles which I do want (It's largely why I'm bothering with the FB5), I'm stuck with two more of these FB4/5 wireless joysticks.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-09-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

My Kroger got in a case of Atari Flashback 5 consoles. I'm probably not going to bother, since I already have 1 through 4. I noticed mostly the same games again, although the M-Network line seems to be new. Too bad there's still all that dead weight left behind, like Sky Diver and Slot Racers. I'd happily give all those crappy early release titles up for a few more quality titles. Hell, I'd even go for Data Age games over stuff like Golf. And that's saying something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know it'll never happen again but if they did a model that could be opened up and have a real cart slot soldered to it I'd jump in. If not for that, if they'd make one that ran all those fun licensed arcade games Atari didn't own back in the day that were on carts I'd be more interested too. The Coleco system has some nice arcade titles going for it so I know it's not impossible outside of a stubborn owner (like Mario Bros/DK - Nintendo won't happen.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

AtGames supports SD cards in the Sega Genesis "flashback"-like portable console and there's a plug-in SD cartridge for the TV version. I think there's still hope for ROMs on these someday...in a later version.

Armchair Arcade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    billlog
    PSN
    ArmchairArcade
    3DS Friend
    3995-6521-5257
    Steam
    Bill_Loguidice

Quote Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
    AtGames supports SD cards in the Sega Genesis "flashback"-like portable console and there's a plug-in SD cartridge for the TV version. I think there's still hope for ROMs on these someday...in a later version.
    It's ultimately up to the licensing companies to allow it. Sega is liberal with that, obviously, while other companies like Atari, Intellivision Productions, Coleco Holdings, etc., may not be so willing. The other issue of course is that while the Sega products are Genesis-on-a-chip, the other products are software emulation on generic ARM chips. In those cases, broader compatibility is a greater issue.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

It's becoming clearer to me that, right or wrong, these Flashback products need to be produced as cheap as possible, and can only succeed for AtGames if they are swiped up by enough stocking stuffer-ers. They did a lot to be authentic to the originals, but the myriad of complaints from collectors all over the web prove that whatever they make won't satisfy them. If they were produced for "collectors," they wouldn't make money and thus wouldn't have been made. Yet at the end of the day, sales and promotion are going to be driven by collectors. If enough notable ones bitch, their followers won't buy them. Reminds me a ton of the Transformers G1 toy reproduction/reissue craze of the last 10 years.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Atari would be a cold day in hell, the current owner is this uptight prick frenchman who has an insipid greedy streak who will pitch fits like a five year old and screw with existing contracts if he feels he can steal another dime out of someones pocket once they started on a project. I can't due to NDAs be specific, but that dick has tried to screw with a few companies I'm aware of which I wish he'd be outed for. Anything with an Atari property on it you can count on SD-card backdoor emulation not happening as he's the true anti-Sega on this stuff.

I just wish AT Games wasn't so damned lazy, 3 revisions of their Genesis handheld and they refuse to make any upgrades to the software other than getting Super SF2 and Mega Man Wily Wars working on the latest. Yet MM among many other games are worthless since they use a battery to save and they refuse to add battery saving to the SD card which is unforgivable. I'd own that thing, but I can't see beyond paying $20 for something like that due to that garbage. What's worse, the home system that takes carts, it's broken too, it won't even allow a legit game to update its save file either if you select save in game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    What's worse, the home system that takes carts, it's broken too, it won't even allow a legit game to update its save file either if you select save in game!
    Where'd you see that? Someone mentioned this at AtariAge, but I just figured they had it confused with the SD card issue when running roms that originally had onboard saving capabilities.

I'm surprised that their Genesis on a chip could even break that functionality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know we did discuss it over at NA/SA at some point in the past. I owned the 2nd release of the handheld and it pissed me off I couldn't play Phantasy Star because of the battery issue so in time I sold it. When the 3rd one came out along side of the cart taking Genesis emulator clone I did research again, and learned those lazy tools at ATGames did NOTHING but to tweak the code enough to run SuperSF2 and MMWW and that's it. I found web based reports of consumers buying and reviewing it and both in print and youtube showing the stupid thing still did not save games, and that the same firmware was placed into the cart taking home system and had the same results. Eventually some people (NA/Web? I don't remember) emailed them and in some less than stellar english response it does not save.

I Just can't even begin to understand how you so poorly code something like that it won't even allow a legit game to save to its own save chip. It's so badly done it straight up cock blocks a legit cartridge from functioning correctly.

There's a highlighted best of (first listed) review on amazon that has a section talking down the Genesis clone for not saving.
    http://www.amazon.com/AtGames-Genesi...ews/B0094H8H7I

Other reviewers elsewhere say the same thing: http://generationz.jfbs.net/index.php?showtopic=2512

The AT Games clone can read a save file fine from a game, but it can not save back to the cart. While writing this I emailed ATGames to ask if they had a 4th handheld or 3rd console coming that would have saving because I want their system and won't buy it until they add it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    the current owner is this uptight prick frenchman who has an insipid greedy streak who will pitch fits like a five year old and screw with existing contracts if he feels he can steal another dime out of someones pocket once they started on a project.
    Are you sure it's not still run by the Tramiels? It sounds just like them!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up the Inty and Colecovision flashbacks, and even though I have both original consoles I'm really happy with the Flashbacks. The controllers are awesome. Selection of games is good - of course it's not perfect, but still a lot to play and enjoy. Emulation is solid. The design of the consoles is great.

I'm not generally a big fan of emulation, but most of that is for two reasons: 1) I want to play with the original controllers and 2) I want to play it on my TV, where IMHO the games look best (and most nostalgic). The new Flashbacks address both of those. I think they did a great job.

Of course there are things that would be nice to have (save states, etc), but for the price point they're great units.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    How many of these can they really expect to sell..? I would have thought anyone who wanted an Atari Flashback would have one by now, and the fans of the Intellivision and Colecovision are surely dwindling?

Clicking through reveals that the actual Colecovision console is a much sleeker design than what is pictured on the box, which is good, as I can't imagine that old behemoth as making much sense from either a sales or manufacturing position. But weren't the Intellivision's controllers always resoundingly unpopular?
    Don't knock the Colecovision, that things badass, and has probably the best looking games of its time. I love mine and probably wouldn't prefer a flashback to it since you can replace the controller with an Atari 2600 joystick, which work better.

I do agree people have kind of started to lose interest in anything pre-Nintendo. In some groups. The 22 year old retro gamer isn't gonna care about Yar's Revenge or Dig Dug, he's gonna wanna play Super Mario RPG and Star Fox. Traditionally, anyway. These systems will always spark interest in some people, and always remain collectable.

Speaking of which, anyone want to sell me an Intellivision?
    Last edited by Arkanoid_Katamari; 11-22-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If anyone has a Meijer (www.meijer.com) near them up through the 27th they have the Intellivision, Atari #5, Coleco and that shoddy Genesis that takes carts all for $40 on sale down from $55. I never really looked into what they retail for so it's either a nice deal or they inflated the price to only give somewhat of an ok deal on it. I'm guessing it either really is $15 off or an inflated $10 off, but still a discount is a discount. I was tempted by the coleco one a bit but then realized looking at the back most of the coleco games I loved to pound away at on an emulator in the mid later 90s just weren't there unfortunately. :\

I hoped they would have had the portable Genesis at the same price cut but they didn't carry it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nothing special about the $40 price. That's pretty much their unofficial MSRP...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

$30 at Amazon right now. If you have Prime, shipping is free.

AND THEY SHIPPED TO PR!!! So I was able to snag one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I went to Dollar General today and was their only customer when they opened at 7. Got both the Coleco and Intellivision models for $28 each.

Going the Sam's Club route for the Atari Flashback 5 for the paddles. Otherwise, I'd probably just skip it.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I went to Dollar General today and was their only customer when they opened at 7. Got both the Coleco and Intellivision models for $28 each.

Going the Sam's Club route for the Atari Flashback 5 for the paddles. Otherwise, I'd probably just skip it.
    I ordered the DG INTV, CV, ATARI online (pretty near free shipping) at $28 per. I had them already at $40 from a couple weeks ago, which I will return next week as soon as these arrive. Need to make sure I get the best conditioned box!

Leo, I've seen the picture of that paddle version, but is it being sold yet? The Sam's/Walmart's near me have yet to carry ANY Flashbacks.

PS: I'm hearing that Intellivision Productions are going to be selling a FULL set of Overlays for the INTV FB soon.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's pretty hit or miss, but folks have been finding the Sam's Club deluxe model with the paddles for most of November now. It all depends on your individual store and if they've actually put their stock out on the shelves. Hopefully I'll have some luck in a few days when I go searching.

And I also haven't seen any Flashbacks at my local Wal-Mart. But they're not the most desirable place to purchase them from, although the wired Atari joysticks that the Wal-Mart SKU includes are more desirable than the wireless IR based joysticks every other Flashback 5 SKU offers.

But as I see it, I'm basically buying a $40 brand new set of Atari paddles since the few game additions from the Flashback 4 don't thrill me in any way (And the hardware and emulator are confirmed as being identical to the last round). Plus, it loses one of the real highlights of the Atari Flashback line (and any 1st party 2600 compilation) thanks to them foolishly selling off the Battlezone IP.

The Flashback 3 and 4 (And I'm sure the FB64, although I don't own one of those) had numerous emulation issues with Battlezone, but it was still one of the best games in the lineup. So its loss stings since Atari's unlicensed 1st party 2600 library isn't overflowing with great games (And limit it to single player and/or joystick only games and the short list is cut even further).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-28-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Well, in terms of IP, the loss of Activision games since the FB2 is even more glaring. I have more need for joysticks than paddles. The old paddles are indestructible, and the jittering can be removed pretty easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm talking specifically about the Flashback 5. Pitfall and River Raid were gone even before the Flashback 2 line was laid to rest. And they were never owned by Atari, so it's not nearly as frustrating as letting Battlezone slip out of their hands and likely to oblivion was.