Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: At Games Colecovision, Intellivision, 2600 Flashbacks Pre-order

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
    Bad news? Toys R Us is no longer showing the Colecovision, Intellivision, or Sega Genesis Flashback units as available for pre-order, presumably because they're sold out. If you want one, you'll have to wait until October 1st, which fortunately is right around the corner.
    Here's what I can say: The internal break date for these is 9/22. Granted that can be moved up or down but as things are currently, 9/22 is the hard-coded release.

These are being pulled from store shelves because of the 9/22 break date, no other reason, and this is nothing new or specific to this item. It's just something with a hard break date that doesn't have dated "DO NOT STOCK" labels on the carton, no big deal.

Inventory pulled from the floor until 9/22 will not be utilized for outstanding online pre-orders. That inventory comes direct from the distribution centers or vendor warehouse supply, as it is with every big box retailer. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the reason why these were removed from the website is so that people can't attempt to purchase them online for in-store pick up due to the 9/22 break date. Again, all standard policy pretty much everywhere these days.

Allocation seems to be four pieces of each at present for most stores but these will continue to be stocked through the holidays. Packaging is absolute shit with these, with many of them having the little round box tape seal peel or fall off in the shipping carton. That means many of these will be "open" brand new or will be taped shut by the store. Overlays are simply tossed in the bottom of the box under the console with a little paper band around them and the instruction booklet is simply tossed atop the console in the box - nothing is bagged. The included overlays are in no way up to the quality of originals and are film-thin. This is all typical AtGames cheap-ass manufacturing and shouldn't be surprising. I'll have to say that I'm not too impressed with the feel of the controllers but that's not the draw with the Colecovision plug-and-play here, is it? A reliable clone system with a bunch of built in games is the draw. I would pop the box open to make sure everything is in there before purchase but keep in mind nothing is "sealed" inside, so a new system may look used if you're expecting things to be bagged and packed nicely - that's just how they come.

Also a blanket statement, not directed at anyone what so ever: Don't be pricks to people in-store moving these off the floor due to the break date. They're just doing their job and on the bright side, at this point these will be available a week before we originally assumed. What I would like to see is a report of how good the actual emulation is from those who have strong-armed one of these away from a retailer.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 09-02-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

As far as the Coleco tabletops are concerned, I would be so freakin' happy if they replaced the VFD screen with a phone-sized LCD, put a small circuitboard that was just powerful enough to run a bunch of games in emulation, and use that Coleco case design to make tiny fully-functional portable arcade games. They wouldn't have to put an Arduino motherboard or anything inside it, your average $5 pay-as-you-go disposable cellphone circuitboard has more than enough power to run old arcade games. They could license out a bunch of different titles from various companies. For example, one unit could be all twin stick shooters like Robotron or Black Widow. They could always do dedicated machines too, like a Tron arcade unit (complete with little LED lights).

I like the idea of Coleco tabletops coming back, but I probably won't pick them all up because frankly the gameplay and audio were not great. The Pac-Man audio is earbleedingly terrible, for example, and it's kind of hard to tell what's happening onscreen. Technology has moved on, I'd like to see that reflected in new models giving us arcade accurate games rather than expensive novelties you'll only play for ten minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Alright, Colecovision Flashback is out and uh... it's okay... I suppose... it mostly works correctly.

Controller pinout is screwed up so you're stuck with the pack in controllers, which aren't all that great feeling. Most games run fine but some have missing or gimped sound. Overall sound is just a hair off but no big deal for most games. The Heist runs at half speed, which sucks.

The more I think about it, the games that are missing in my mind (Carnival, Looping, Mouse Trap and LadyBug) would probably sound like crap if Space Fury, Squish'em Sam and Zaxxon on here are any indication.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does Zip a Dee Doo Dah still play in Pepper II? All these short clips never go on long enough to see.

It should play when you fill out an entire screen.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-27-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Alright, Colecovision Flashback is out and uh... it's okay... I suppose... it mostly works correctly.
    Sounds like it might be a good backup for my original Colecovision. How does Frenzy & Venture play? However, I'm still irritated that it doesn't have Tutankham though. Alcazar & Spy Hunter would have been nice to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Does Zip a Dee Doo Dah still play in Pepper II? All these short clips never go on long enough to see.

It should play when you fill out an entire screen.
    Yes, all audio in Pepper II is correct. Love those Exidy sounds. Terribly underrated game plagued with a stupid title - should have just called it Zipper like they originally intended.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofwor1975 View Post
    Sounds like it might be a good backup for my original Colecovision. How does Frenzy & Venture play? However, I'm still irritated that it doesn't have Tutankham though. Alcazar & Spy Hunter would have been nice to.
    Frenzy and Venture play fine but suffer a little due to the sketchy joysticks. The large dead zone (in relation to the stick throw) that develops after the joysticks are broken in, coupled with the very short stick throw, means that it's easy to roll into unintended directions. Audio is a hair off in Venture but nothing ear bleeding.

If anyone has any specific questions, go for it! I'd rather everyone that buys one of these know exactly what they're getting so that straight up negative reviews can be avoided so that AtGames sticks with the license.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 09-27-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, all audio in Pepper II is correct. Love those Exidy sounds. Terribly underrated game plagued with a stupid title - should have just called it Zipper like they originally intended.
    Good to hear that it's fully intact. That's one of the real gems here, but I was worried that this and the main theme might end up being edited out due to obvious reasons.

If there's ever an Arcade Flashback, I hope the arcade version makes the cut (Along with Venture, Mouse Trap, and Hard Hat to name three other Exidy favorites).

Speaking of Mouse Trap, odd that it's absent here yet Venture and Pepper II are included.

Frenzy and Venture play fine but suffer a little due to the sketchy joysticks. The large dead zone (in relation to the stick throw) that develops after the joysticks are broken in, coupled with the very short stick throw, means that it's easy to roll into unintended directions.
    Does controller #2 do anything in single player? If so, it might be worth rewiring an Atari Flashback joystick to keep plugged into port 2.

Most of my Colecovision time isn't spent with a real Colecovision controller, but rather, my favorite Atari 2600 compatible stick in the second controller port.

Edit: I have that backwards, I think. Haven't fired it up in a couple of years, but I think the workaround for many games requires plugging the Atari compatible stick into port 1, and using the keypad on the Coleco controller in port 2 to select your options.

It would be neat if this workaround still works with their emulator (I.e., if controller 2's keypad can be used to start a game in single player mode).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-28-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Does controller #2 do anything in single player? If so, it might be worth rewiring an Atari Flashback joystick to keep plugged into port 2.

Most of my Colecovision time isn't spent with a real Colecovision controller, but rather, my favorite Atari 2600 compatible stick in the second controller port.
    The pinout isn't right so anything other than the included controllers doesn't work right - the mapping is all screwy. On the Flashback if you hold both fire buttons on controller 1 upon power on, it will go to the diagnostic menu. One of the menus is an input test. Utilizing this it's possible to see just how messed up the mapping is. A standard VCS joystick allows you keypad 7 and keypad 9 (if I'm remembering correctly) as a couple of the joystick directions with everything else non-responsive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Did you find it somewhere at a retail store? I thought they weren't out until next week. I guess I'll be going to Dollar General, since I don't have a Sam's Club membership.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Street date has bounced around. Toys R Us were selling them early, but have often stopped.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    Did you find it somewhere at a retail store? I thought they weren't out until next week. I guess I'll be going to Dollar General, since I don't have a Sam's Club membership.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Street date has bounced around. Toys R Us were selling them early, but have often stopped.
    Toys R Us internal street date is / was 9/22. The product run reset for all electronics departments was on 9/22 in preparation for Infinity 2.0 on 9/23. As of today product is still on shelves and selling through the system without issue. What's funny is that for all the interest and hoo-ha about strongarming these away from retailers before the TRU system break date of 9/22, every store in the area is completely full with little to no interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The pinout isn't right so anything other than the included controllers doesn't work right - the mapping is all screwy.
    That's why I was talking about rewiring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

That's why I was talking about rewiring.
    Re-reading your earlier post I see that now. If anything I would grab a couple connectors and make a patchbox but I'll wait for someone else to make a pinout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think AtariAge has had one up for weeks for rewiring the pinout to match the Colecovision's pinout. So it would be a trivial matter to apply this knowledge to a CX40 equivalent (And if it was an adapter like I think someone at AA is producing for the Intellivision model, it would be plug and play with Atari joysticks without any modification necessary).

The key question is if controller 2's keypad can be used to get a single player game going while using controller 1 to actually play the game with, like could be done with Coleco published software on the real deal.

If you have to start your game with controller 1's keypad, the value is defeated by the hassle of quickly changing controllers out (Although those really desperate could still come up with a solution).

Seems a shame, it's almost like they intentionally tried to not make these compatible. Even the overlays aren't compatible with the originals on at least one of the two new Flashbacks.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-28-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

If you have to start your game with controller 1's keypad, the value is defeated by the hassle of quickly changing controllers out (Although those really desperate could still come up with a solution).
    That works as expected but I think there are a couple games where you still have to decide your options with the first controller. I know the games that give you the standard blue Colecovision options screen will allow you to decide the game option with the second controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's sad to hear, so Sega Genesis controllers are a no go too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Dord View Post
    That's sad to hear, so Sega Genesis controllers are a no go too?
    Nope, do not work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That works as expected but I think there are a couple games where you still have to decide your options with the first controller. I know the games that give you the standard blue Colecovision options screen will allow you to decide the game option with the second controller.
    Yeah, 3rd party titles are problematic in this regard.

But for 1st party, arcade style action, it's a much appreciated option.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone know why Toejam and Earl 1 or 2 never appears on these things or any compilation disc that Sega puts out? It must be some sort of strange licensing agreements with the characters.

Insert Coin (Level 0) nosweargamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spman View Post
    Anyone know why Toejam and Earl 1 or 2 never appears on these things or any compilation disc that Sega puts out? It must be some sort of strange licensing agreements with the characters.
    Yup. Sega doesn't own the rights, the creator does.