Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: At Games Colecovision, Intellivision, 2600 Flashbacks Pre-order

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I really wish that Genesis handheld they do with Super SF2 and Mega Man on it actually worked right. I don't mind it being a little off on the audio and video, it's a convenient little emulator box with a solid screen, control setup and speaker plus with the SD card you can load whatever to it, but the saving is a deal breaker.

It makes me wonder with this better step in quality they seem to be taking with other systems why they don't revisit that and make good on it.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not interested. I have multiples of the original consoles along with the games. The look, the feel and playing the original games as they were meant to be played, well there just is no comparison.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Akito01 View Post
    From what I hear, the controllers on the Intellivision Flashback are also detachable -which means, in all probability, you can use the detachable controllers from the Intellivison II on the Flashback, and much more appealingly, the Flashback controllers on the Intellivision II.
    This has been confirmed, btw.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Id like to get a Colecovision one, finding a working colecovision is a huge hassle. As long as it has Mr. Do! I will buy one for sure.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Stringfellow78

its too bad that they went cheaper on the Atari flashback after 2. The 2 was pretty much replicated 2600 hardware that allowed people to add their own cartridge slot if they wanted to and many dit.

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm interested in the ColecoVision and Intellivision ones for sure, however have one big concern - the versions on the Intellivision plug'n'play units are NOT the same games as the original console used, the games are bad cousins of the originals. For example, Night Stalker, the robots look different and also have a different path they use, the character feels different and the spiders and bats move differently. Not the same. My concern is if these new units are another way to sell shitty conversions of classic games badly or if the new units play the original ROMS and therefore will be faithful to the originals (hopes).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bacteria View Post
    I'm interested in the ColecoVision and Intellivision ones for sure, however have one big concern - the versions on the Intellivision plug'n'play units are NOT the same games as the original console used, the games are bad cousins of the originals.
    Have you seen it running already..?

I remember one of the early releases of 2600 Adventure on some plug-and-play unit or another was kind of badly messed up, namely in turns of the Dot and the secret screen. Was that fixed in subsequent releases?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bacteria View Post
    the versions on the Intellivision plug'n'play units are NOT the same games as the original console used, the games are bad cousins of the originals.
    If you're talking about those plug-and-play controllers that have been out for a few years, then you're absolutely right. The company that put those out essentially used "Nintendo On A Chip" technology (which is what pretty much all pirate Famicom units are built around) and the old Intellivision games were quickly and poorly ported to the new hardware, with results that were at times atrocious.

Here's something funny about that... a couple of years after those devices hit the market, I bought some plug-and-play cheap handheld in a thrift shop, the kind of device that doesn't have pirate games on it, but legitimate new titles. And once I started fooling around with it, I realized that they had pirated a few of the Intellivision knock-offs, hacked the graphics a bit, and made some of them play even more poorly. Pinball was one. There were also games from the first generation Atari Flashback (which was also based on Nintendo-On-A-Chip technology) that had been chopped up and hacked as well. I guess they thought that if they didn't pirate Nintendo's property, they were in the clear.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I'm sure this emulation will be better than those hand held/TV games. In terms of licensing, it sounds like the Disney and Activision (includes Imagic) licenses are unlikely. Obviously that's a big loss, especially on Intellivision.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Not having to sit through the 12 second Colecovision startup screen every time I want to play a different game would be very nice. Its one thing I hate about the colecovision.

When will the list of coleco games be released?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You could always just change that feature if it's that bothersome.

http://console5.com/wiki/Colecovision_BIOS_Replacement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't suppose anyone has ever succeeded in coding AI for a computer opponent for all those two-player Intellivision sports games?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I thought that was what they did with the Super Pro line of sports games, basically reprogram and enhance them to also be single player games? I know that's how Super Pro Football started life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Many if not all of them got such a release by INTV with 1 player modes and many enhancements.

Edit: Hockey, baseball, football, soccer, tennis, skiing, and basketball saw such releases. Golf got a full fledged sequel and football and baseball saw sequels on the ECS in-between the originals and their later remakes (Football never was commercially released but is a finished prototype).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-07-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Haven't updated in awhile. From our spy over on Atari Age, here are some major updates:

AtGames have decided NOT to include a controller overlay for every game on the device (CV/INTV) as first reported. They will have just 10 of the 60, which sucks. Sam's Club will have an exclusive with 15 overlays.

AtGames were unable to get the Intellivision controllers backward compatible to the original (INTV-II) due to a difference in electrics. May be fixed on the next release. No word on Colecovision so far.

Intellivision will feature a predominantly 1st-party library, while Colecovision will have about a dozen "homebrew." Sad to report that Burgertime was not licensed for either. Dollar General stores will have one extra game on both systems.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My interest just took a major hit. It's bad enough they're not including all the overlays, but what's this bullshit about giving exclusives to a specific store? If I buy the Sam's one I get more overlays, but if I buy at Dollar General I get an extra game? That's some straight up bullshit right there. And they haven't put out a game list yet, but 12 homebrews doesn't really excite me unless they're quality stuff from the community.

All these years, and these companies still can't get these releases right.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Reading the thread over at AA, apparently they decided that having 120 overlays would be "too confusing" for the average consumer. What they're thinking about doing is selling a fullset of them online separately.

Oh, and apparently there's a version of the console exlcusive to Sam's Club that has 15 overlays instead of just 10. And another version exclusive to Dollar General that has an extra game. This applies for both Intellivision as described by them:

60 games, 10 overlay pairs(non-exclusive)
    60 games, 15 overlay pairs (Sam's Club exclusive)
    61 games, 10 overlay pairs (Dollar General exclusive)

For Coleco, it's this:
    60 games, 4 overlay pairs(non-exclusive)
    60 games, 8 overlay pairs (Sam's Club exclusive)
    61 games, 4 overlay pairs (Dollar General exclusive)

"Bonus game" for Colecovision is Antarctic Adventure. No clue what it is for Intellivision.
    Last edited by Tupin; 07-04-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I hate to admit it but they're right. To have a 100 overlays for that one system would confused the crap out of your average retail fool looking for a cheap fix of fun with lots in the package. I'm sure most people would be too lazy or get confused trying to set all that stuff up.

Any word on them deciding to man up and do another version of their Genesis handheld and adding in save support? I really did like the one I had pre-SF2/Mega Man on games that didn't save, but the fun ran out when my favorite games were worthless to me (Dune and Star Control to name two.)

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Intellivision Dollar General exclusive is MLB Baseball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they sell the overlays separately, that's acceptable. I would buy the Dollar General version and get the overlays online. I do wish they would release full title lists, though. I saw Venture on the box, but I'd like to know what else the ColecoVision one includes.