Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: At Games Colecovision, Intellivision, 2600 Flashbacks Pre-order

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would hardly say every Colecovision game needs its own overlay – they certainly didn't back in the day. I wouldn't know about Intellivision.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Dunno, but it seems the Intellivision fans were more distraught between that and the controllers not being compatible on an Intellivision II. Apparently is planned for the next revision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    It's bad enough they're not including all the overlays, but what's this bullshit about giving exclusives to a specific store?
    Lets hope that's just what it took to get them to carry it. Seems much more palatable to me if this situation exists because they were forced to sweeten the deal with some form of exclusivity just to get them to stock it at their stores. Hard to complain about wider distribution since it benefits us directly by making the product more available and helps ensure its success with follow-ons by offering greater consumer exposure.

Neither bonus game is a big deal if you ask me. Losing these two by not buying them at Dollar General is far better than the Flashback 4's exclusivity for Millipede at Bed Bath Beyond since it's one of the few gems in Atari's unlicensed 1st party 2600 catalog (Where as baseball has a superior version included as standard and this Konami penguin racer is okay but not exceptional).

And Dollar General stores seem to be much more commonplace than the other retailer. So most that want these two bonus games should be able to easily get what they want just by taking a drive downtown to their nearest Dollar General location.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-05-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

If the INTV one had voice, it better work unlike the DS compilation. Some speech worked, others like getting the number of aliens or the energy level in Space Spartans was absent. Now that I think of it, the sound wasn't quite working either-you couldn't getvan arrow count in Cloudy Mountain.

They fix that, I might be interested.

Armchair Arcade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    billlog
    PSN
    ArmchairArcade
    3DS Friend
    3995-6521-5257
    Steam
    Bill_Loguidice

For those interested, I posted the official game lists for all of the 2014 AtGames hardware products exclusively here: http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/taxonomy/term/3892

Insert Coin (Level 0) synbiosfan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    synbiosfan

I'm pretty sure I'll be grabbing the Colecovision one and if the controllers are backwards compatible with a real Colecovision a couple more.

This should be pretty awesome!
    Diabetes Sucks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Loguidice View Post
    For those interested, I posted the official game lists for all of the 2014 AtGames hardware products exclusively here: http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/taxonomy/term/3892
    Awesome, thanks!

REALLY surprised that Mouse Trap isn't on the Colecovision console! However a pretty nice mix that's only missing a few titles I was hoping for - Mouse Trap, Looping, and Carnival.

Excellent games included, quite a few that are pricey cartridges:

Bump 'n' Jump
    Choplifter!
    Cosmic Avenger
    Dragonfire
    Frenzy
    Jumpman Junior
    Jungle Hunt
    Miner 2049er
    Montezuma's Revenge
    Mountain King
    Omega Race
    Pepper II
    Space Fury
    Squish ‘Em Featuring Sam
    The Heist
    Venture

Also, important as Donkey Kong on Colecovision was - who the heck really considers that a make or break deal on the hardware now days? This'll have Jumpman Junior, a much better take on the Donkey Kong formula for the Colecovision anyway.

This is going to be day one for me and I'm buying the first full shipping carton that comes in for myself and Christmas gifts.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

CV controllers are 100% compatible. The INTV sadly were not due to a development goof. Keith Robinson said he hoped that could be fixed in the next round, perhaps even with potentially selling the controllers separately. To be honest, I don't personally need that for either.

Just make note of the slight exclusives. Dollar General has 1 extra game (1P Baseball on INTV, Antarctic Adventure on CV), while Sam's Club with have extra overlays for each.

The CV FB by nature would need many licensed games, and I was pleased with the list. Donkey Kong was never happening. Also, the Atari FB 5 will now have 12 M Network games included, all of which are excellent. On the Intellivision FB, Keith Robinson said that rather than put in the "generic" Tron games which were created a few years ago, he hopes to put a deal together with Disney for the next round.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm really stoked that it has Frenzy & Venture. But no Tutankham!!! The Colecovision port of Tutankham was hands down the best version of the original arcade game. What kinda BULLS&*T is that?
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 08-01-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No details have been posted yet, but according to a user at AtariAge that got an early look at this recently, the Intellivision Flashback controllers can easily be made compatible with no modification to the original console or the new controller.

It was my understanding that we were still awaiting confirmation that the Colecovision controllers were indeed compatible with original hardware.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-01-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Loguidice View Post
    Look like a good set of games. Probably due to licensing a shame that Donkey Kong is not on there; that was the game that stood out! I see some 8 bit computer games on your Colecovision list. Miner 2049er and Jumpman Jr, wow!
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

http://www.retrogamenetwork.com/2014...hback-release/

Coleco mini-arcade line sounds like it is coming back.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    http://www.retrogamenetwork.com/2014...hback-release/

Coleco mini-arcade line sounds like it is coming back.
    $100 says they'll be crappy sun-lit transparent LCDs like when Frogger was "re-released" a few years ago. No way they would actually do these justice with VFDs.

Also love that they show the Coleco Donkey Kong Junior tabletop that was never released - way to do your research! Um.. I mean type "coleco tabletop" into Google Images. They should have posted pictures of the Omega Race tabletop mockup while they were at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Considering the fact that dk jr is a rebranded nintendo game & watch they likely dont have access to that mold unlike the other so maybe thats why. I also have that new Frogger youre ripping on both tabletop and handheld, also space invaders and pinball in handheld form too all from excalibur and theyre fantastic, superior really seeing that it saves high scores, has a mute button, and runs on far less battery power. I think theyd still go with the classic design if its not just some emulation package. I have to wonder who all of the license holders will let them do this between Nintendo Namco and Sega being involved. I would think Nintendo would be dicks about it, but Namco and Sega I could see them being fine due to other farmed out project tv game things.

who knows maybe they would do omega race if they have the old stuff on it after so long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I see some Intellivoice games on the list: does anyone know if we'll hear actual numbers when the computer lists power levels, number of aliens and such? Nit picky I know but dangit if they are going to make something like this, do it right!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I also have that new Frogger youre ripping on both tabletop and handheld, also space invaders and pinball in handheld form too all from excalibur and theyre fantastic, superior really seeing that it saves high scores, has a mute button, and runs on far less battery powe
    They're complete and utter garbage compared to the soft glow of a VFD, really unlike any other kind of display produced before or since. But man, new is superior, because that's what DP is all about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You know really I don't think the arrogance there was really warranted. So you hate the screen? Whoopdeedoo. DK Jr Coleco used it and it looked fine and that type Excalibur went back to with their stuff from last decade and it worked as nicely too. They're fine for what they are, cheap distractions. I like the VFD style equally so as I've got the coleco Pac-Man and DK, Entex Crazy Climber and the Parker Bros Q-Bert too so I have an even split between the types and I don't prefer one over the other.

It's going to come down to whatever this modern Coleco holder wants to do or can be allowed to do. If they have the rights to the old documents and stuff from the originals they may just duplicate the things with a more modern board inside to keep costs cheap. Hell they may be completely dickish and just make one like the arcade/home Pac-Man Party cabinet where you run an emulator(android likely) and a LCD/LED screen and have it do all the Coleco tabletops in one unit to keep costs down and increase desire to buy. It's really up in the air given what we've seen from resurrections before because even those old Mattel Eletronics games had a come back a decade ago and you could get it with the little red LEDs but there were also black and white cheapo LCD screen versions too like some Tiger handheld.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

For what's essentially the price of a Threshold cart, I'm in for 1 of the CV units, fo sho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bad news? Toys R Us is no longer showing the Colecovision, Intellivision, or Sega Genesis Flashback units as available for pre-order, presumably because they're sold out. If you want one, you'll have to wait until October 1st, which fortunately is right around the corner.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
    Bad news? Toys R Us is no longer showing the Colecovision, Intellivision, or Sega Genesis Flashback units as available for pre-order, presumably because they're sold out. If you want one, you'll have to wait until October 1st, which fortunately is right around the corner.
    Most collectors will be going for the Dollar General or Sam's Club versions.