Thread: At Games Colecovision, Intellivision, 2600 Flashbacks Pre-order

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Commodore 64 would be cool, as would TurboGrafx-16, provided they used many of the PCE-only titles as well.

There are quite a few mini bluetooth keyboards available now for under $20 retail. They use a single membrane and one big sheet of keys like an old cell phone. Cost wise it could make sense. AtGames does not sell their stuff overseas though, and that eliminates a big market for anything C64, in Europe.

The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

5200 Flashback would be my dream come true, but it must include Space Dungeon with twin stick support. Since AtGames has done INTV and CV from that generation, when will they do the 5200 justice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    When was the last time they sued any company or individual that programmed an emulator, or created and produced a hardware replica like a NOAC chip? I don't even recall much in the way of that back 15 years ago or so when there still was some patent protection in place.

The only lawsuits I've ever seen revolved around copyrighted software, such as Nintendo games being bundled with a cheap NOAC device. I don't even think they target rom sites anymore, realizing that at this point, it's like trying to put a genie back in its bottle. But try to rip them off at retail with your cheap NOAC clone with bundled NES roms and they still will come down hard on you.

We've even seen commercial NES/SNES emulation on competing platforms. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts on Capcom Classics Collection: Volume 1 leaps to mind as utilizing a Digital Eclipse SuperNes emulation core.
    Awhile but I know even in fairly recent years they still send C&D letters and those seem more than effective enough to scare off most individuals from going further so no there hasn't been an actual lawsuit in a long while. They do actually go after people making pirate carts, devices that run roms if they can get away with it, and if a rom site is large enough and plenty enough people bring it to their attention they send letters. The thing with a ROM site is though if they're hosted out of a country where they don't care about roms, they can't do a thing about it. The end result though is still the same, they don't own the games other than those they or a 2nd party made, so they legally can't stop emulators that run their old system games nor the games themselves if their name is removed (ie: licensed by nintendo) so it's just a lack of will for whatever odd reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    devices that run roms if they can get away with it,
    Now we're talking silly. Name one that got C&D. If that holds, then no emulators could exist either. The Konami PnP that was pictured in an earlier post would not have been permitted either if that were the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    5200 Flashback would be my dream come true, but it must include Space Dungeon with twin stick support. Since AtGames has done INTV and CV from that generation, when will they do the 5200 justice?
    They might as well go ahead and include XEGS support.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

When I said devices that run roms, look up Nintendo's years long crusade to kill the R4 device maker and the sales in the NA market and beyond. They've beaten the shit out of that one much like how Sony took down pretty illegitimately Lik Sang some years back.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I think they'd have to do a 5200/Atari XL/XE combination job. Then again, we'd probably be stuck with a severely diluted lineup thanks again to license fees.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think it more likely that they'd just roll out select titles to their existing Atari Flashback line, rather than create an Atari Flashback SuperSystem or whatever you'd want to call it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    When I said devices that run roms, look up Nintendo's years long crusade to kill the R4 device maker and the sales in the NA market and beyond. They've beaten the shit out of that one much like how Sony took down pretty illegitimately Lik Sang some years back.
    That's not a emulator or system. Furthermore, it enabled piracy on a contemporary Nintendo platform.

I don't think anyone ever thought that they wouldn't combat such a device.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I think they'd have to do a 5200/Atari XL/XE combination job. Then again, we'd probably be stuck with a severely diluted lineup thanks again to license fees.
    Atari had many of their own IP's on 5200, and stuff like Berzerk and Space Dungeon were owned by defunct companies, so getting quite a few quality titles on a 5200 Flashback might not be so hard after all. Additionally, quite a few homebrews out there might not be hard to sign up, and if they included XE titles...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Space Dungeon is Taito. Not sure where Berzerk has ended up.