Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XBox One now 400, anyone getting it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default XBox One now 400, anyone getting it?

Looks like a bitter pill to swallow for Microsoft, but it was inevitable I guess. I had a 360 but after I got the PS3 it collected dust. Sony just has more to offer me. Anyone thinking of getting it?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The Xbox brand system is always the last system I buy each generation regardless. I was always into Nintendo, Sega and Sony. This newcomer on the console scene has just never impressed me beyond what the already established franchise providers could do. I actually dislike the original Xbox in the sense that it stole some once Nintendo and Sony exclusive franchises including Rare's games and Oddworld. Luckily Oddworld is going back into the multiplatform territory but Rare just hasn't been the same.

I only buy Xbox systems once they have an exclusive I really want to play. Oddworld, Morrowind, Fable, Blue Dragon etc are things that come to mind. Halo never interested me though. I'm not into shooters except the Nintendo 64 007 titles.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Nah. I have a 360 and never liked the controller. I much prefer the Dual Shock, so I went PS4 this time. Further, I really don't like Microsoft as a company. I have to deal with them in my line of work and their licensing is such a pain in the ass, I just don't like giving them my money. I'd prefer to support a U.S. company but not this one. Same to be said for Google...their enterprise support is shit and I try to avoid doing business with them, too. The bad press doesn't do XBOX any favors, either. This is all too little, too late, IMO.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

It's only dropping to £350 in the UK and it's not hard to find a decent quality used one with Kinect for that price so I'm skipping until it drops to under £300 or there's a true exclusive killer app for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Someday, Microsoft's Xbox brand has largely lost me so it will be the final addition to my collection. Will likely occur some years down the road when it's $200 or so and there are at least a half dozen exclusives around $20 or so each.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hehe was hoping to see a thread for this. MS keeps paying for their arrogant mistakes one after another it appears. As much as the WiiU has not been moving I was surprised to find it still had outsold the One because of the crappy price combined with all the bad will they created before it came out with DRM and the rest. I also was shocked to find they had the ball to charge users for their yearly service just to use free apps like Netflix you pay those people to watch movies on, it was a double charge they've now removed.

I'm curious to see if the sales pick up. If you're not deep into Halo, Gears and Forza they have really nothing to offer you can't get on the PC already like Titanfall so they still have that against them as Sony has a heap of IPs they control.

The sad thing is, the price drop won't help I think largely at this early point. Those who have it and could care about price do, those who want it and care about price have been buying them used with games for less (the other DP thread on them selling for like 45% off retail value at $500.) There's no value in it, and MS is taking a larger hit plus also admitting the Kinect thing people may actually hate (shock!) watching them all the time.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks like others share the same sentiment as I do for MS gaming products.

I bought my original Xbox at launch and it had to be replaced. The replacement barely got used and it too had issues. That left a bad taste in my mouth to MS gaming products which only got worse when the 360 came out. I was working in gaming retail and had to deal with numerous issues regarding the RROD and circular rings getting burned onto the discs. I would pick up games that I wanted to play because I knew I would eventually get one once they ironed out all of the problems and I finally picked up a 360 last year on Black Friday, a good 8 years after the system came out.

All of the shenanigans surrounding the Xbox One's launch regarding used games and the always-on + required Kinect really soured me to whatever they were trying to sell. They've shifted gears and disabled (not removed) those restrictions but only because they had to due to consumer outrage/slow system sales and not because they wanted to. I highly doubt we'll hear word of those restrictions for the remainder of the system's life but they attempted it and people will be quick to remember that when the One's successor comes out. The fact that they even attempted to implement those things was enough to drop MS to the bottom rung of my interest ladder.

I imagine I'll repeat the course that I did for the previous gen with this one; I'll continue to buy games I want to play for cheap and then get the system near the end of its cycle.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My distaste for them goes back to their pre-console stealing software/os, locking out useful stuff on their os/apps type days. I happened to be working in gaming at the time (june 01) before the systems launched from them and Nintendo, and I got stuck on the xbox. I learned before it was out to hate that thing from all the hardware problems on production units we had to test out stuff on along with development units. They'd re-sand circles into disks, tray jams, and the fun one was smelling something burning to have the internal power supplies smoke out if not just catch fire. The fact they lived on for a year off Halo alone magnified the issue and about that time aside from mainly WW2 shooters I got fed up with FPS games so I wrote them off other than for work. The 360 just made things 10x worse and still just mainly catered to certain types, and I don't just mean shooter buddies but gluttons for punishment who like things breaking down repeatedly and dismissing it instead of moving on.

All the stuff with the One just compounded the distrust even when I could have given them a chance since the hardware appeared sound this time around, but with drm, camera always on, less powerful for more cost, and again not making any unique games specific to it, not a chance in hell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, let's not let the shoe just sit on one foot, you know? I understand that Microsoft is a shady company, like SONY isn't? I went through 7 original Playstation systems, 3 PS2's and 4 PSP's. One of those original Playstations BURST INTO FLAMES only after two weeks of owning it and even though it was well ventilated with tons of space between it and the console so air could get to it, SONY refused to replace the system because it was in an entertainment cabinet. I personally like the 360 better than my PS3, but that's a whole other argument. I just like the games better on the 360, but to each their own.

In the end, I'll probably get a ONE, but it isn't a top priority at this point. Not too wild for the PS4 either. There still isn't anhything on either system that is a "Must Play" for me yet. As a matter of fact, it seems that all we seem to get for the most part anymore are shooters. I don't care if it's 1st or 3rd person, they are still shooters and they are getting VERY stale indeed.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I know the masses will tell you otherwise, but really this generation I am most interested in the Wii U so far. I just haven't bought one yet because I've been spending my money on classic games instead. Maybe that's part of the problem. Retro gamers and fans of Nintendo who would like a Wii U just haven't bought one yet because of us being fans of Nintendo and going for older stuff while it is still around in decent shape. It's going to be our own fault years later when we finally get up to the Wii U and realize there isn't as much software for it. We would have liked it now, but we Nintendo fans are stuck in the past.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

While Sunset Overdrive looks like it'll be a good game, I'm more than likely not going to get an Xbox One. The PS4, which I also haven't purchase because the lack of games I can't already play on last gen consoles, is the more powerful console and it shows with each and every game being either higher resolution, framerate, or both. Resolution isn't as big of an issue to me as framerate is though, so as long as the PS4 has a stable 30fps, then I'm fine. Most games on the Xbox One are going to be on the PS4, most Japanese games that aren't multiconsole are going to be exclusive to either Nintendo or Sony consoles like they were last gen. I'm a Playstation fan but will buy other consoles if there's a lot of exclusives I'm interested in or exclusives that interest me enough to get the console, otherwise I won't get them. I'll eventually get a PS4 and Wii U, but don't see myself getting an Xbox One this gen.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-14-2014 at 02:02 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    I went through 7 original Playstation systems, 3 PS2's and 4 PSP's.
    I'm sure a couple of those were faulty units but that sounds like you're doing something wrong.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Nope!

While I'm not in the market for a new console, I'd probably get a Wii U. The PS4 and Xbox just don't have enough software to interest me. And the software they do have is mostly First Person Shooters (Meh). I'm avoiding Microsoft like the plague because I'm not a fan of there used car salesman mentality with the customer. While Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are all in it for the money, Microsoft seems pushy and disconnected with the everyday gamer. Microsoft has a tendency to abandon the consumer once they own the market. Microsoft is a better company once they're in 2nd or 3rd place, otherwise they just walk all over you.

And they ruined RARE

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    I'm sure a couple of those were faulty units but that sounds like you're doing something wrong.
    Agree. I suspect he had some wiring/electrical issues in his house as the defect rate on the PS2 was fairly low and getting four defective PSPs is unheard of, unless you're talking about some bad screen pixels or you're trying to install non-standard firmware in which case there is a chance of bricking the unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Early PS2's had a very high rate of failure. More realistic sounding to me than 7 PS1's and 4 PSP's.

I too suspect an electrical issue unless he was logging dozens of hours week in and week out on them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

No real incentive for me to get any of the three current generation consoles, since I have a plethora of games from the previous generation that will surely last me years. Besides, I have the Vita and 3DS, which is more than enough for me at this point in time.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Agree. I suspect he had some wiring/electrical issues in his house as the defect rate on the PS2 was fairly low and getting four defective PSPs is unheard of, unless you're talking about some bad screen pixels or you're trying to install non-standard firmware in which case there is a chance of bricking the unit.
    Well, my PS2 had no problems and is still working to this day. I gave my brother my PSX after I bought my PS2, and it started having problems a couple years later not reading discs. My PSP on the other hand, while none of them stopped working, one of them stopped reading discs, the other was about to, and this is before the Vita came out. I didn't get the original PSP 1000 until I received my preordered Gundam Battle Royale, so late 2006. The system stopped reading discs, so I put custom firmware on it, emulators and such, gave it to my cousin, and bought a PSP 2000 to replace it. Before the Vita was announced, the motor for the PSP 2000 started making constant loud squeaking noises that made it literally unplayable, while also scaring me that it might scratch the UMDs. Since them I've bought a PSP 3000 and either rip the games myself or download them then play them digitally on my PSP2000(I like the color, Japanese mint green version) or on my PSP Go using a PS3 controller through my TV.

So my experience is that the PSP has had a much higher failure rate than the PSX and PS2 because both the 1000 and 2000 failed long before then gen was over.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    or there's a true exclusive killer app for it.
    Ah, the good ole days when we bought consoles for this reason alone, alas, now we buy them cause of their multi-purpose functionality or because like an iPhone we just must have the newest iteration....just cause.

How we have come this far is beyond me, but in general it has little to do with gaming honestly and I know alot of naysayers and predictors of this future outcome used to and still do frequent these forums and looks like alot of what they said was right and all the adopters and people that bought into all the fads regardless of "the games" are all since gone, tired of being worn down by the hype machine and adapting to what they were all along, non-gamers.

Like you, I will be awaiting the next killer app.....

^^^^in other words, I will not be buying an Xbox One..to stay on-topic.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Give it a few months, it will only get cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I know the masses will tell you otherwise, but really this generation I am most interested in the Wii U so far. I just haven't bought one yet because I've been spending my money on classic games instead. Maybe that's part of the problem. Retro gamers and fans of Nintendo who would like a Wii U just haven't bought one yet because of us being fans of Nintendo and going for older stuff while it is still around in decent shape. It's going to be our own fault years later when we finally get up to the Wii U and realize there isn't as much software for it. We would have liked it now, but we Nintendo fans are stuck in the past.
    Ehh you know honestly my feelings are kind of similar as WiiU is the one I have, after what my brother told me what the deal is with the WiiU going forward I know the WiiU is doomed to get almost no third party games and I'm coming to terms with it so it's not a matter of being stuck int he past, I love that controller tablet and the stuff finally in HD, but they have been slacking in their game making quality with franchises while ignoring others. When the time comes I will get a PS4 I imagine, I love their exclusives just like Nintendo's since the 80s. Ultimately though thanks to the N64 era I became a handheld gamer more(buy more games and play longer) along with buying up old stuff I never could have or missed and that stays true still.

I've never heard of a fire breaking out on a PS1, but I know a heap of the old style ones had crappy drive motors or lens issues so people would run them upside down to read discs but I only had the slim model of that and both of the ps2 (slim now.)

homer you're right about ms and their sales tactics. I'm surprised really that many who had the original xbox didnt' tell them to get fucked after what they did literally going cold turkey on it into the rushed 360. They pulled development, canceled all projects and killed it on the shelf with whatever few scraps third parties had left to get out there which they left hung high and dry which is awful. To then compound that with the entire 360 hot mess start to end it's amazing people even bother. Sony isn't run by gentlemen by any means, but at least they support their systems and customers at a little bit better level.