Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XBox One now 400, anyone getting it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Actually, wasn't the Titanfall Bundle (with Kinect) for $449.99 a better deal if you really think about it ?

By having this $100 price difference, Microsoft is basically saying the new Kinect is worth $100. The Titanfall bundle that was on sale at Amazon and other places for $449.99 included a Kinect and Titanfall, a game that is supposed to sell for the full $59.99. So, wouldn't that Titanfall bundle actually be the better deal ? I think the savings in the $399 non Kinect bundle is more psychological than actual. While the price is the same as PS4, the PS4 is considerably more powerful, so I think Microsofts price should have been either lower than $399, or they should actually be including the Kinect at $399, and then it would at least be a competitive value against the PS4.

Right now, I still don't think it's competitive. Same price, but a much weaker system.

(by the way, I own both and bought both at launch, so I feel like I have the right to talk shit about either of them)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaKat View Post
    Looks like a bitter pill to swallow for Microsoft, but it was inevitable I guess. I had a 360 but after I got the PS3 it collected dust. Sony just has more to offer me. Anyone thinking of getting it?
    Sticking with PC this generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

WCP it's entirely psychological.

The WiiU has done the same thing. The had the Deluxe and the normal to look like a deal. They killed the deal because people realized the rouse. Since then though they've not come off $300 but made the deluxe out to be worth the cash. That worked for a short short time but floundered.

The thing is people just aren't bright enough in mass to see the real deal like that Titanfall one. Again using the WiiU -- The New SMBU/Luigi U bundle that has a disc in there. Those two games retail for $90 together. That makes the WiiU just $210, but who actually does that math when you can brainlessly just see $300 and say too much if you intended to get them anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I think the savings in the $399 non Kinect bundle is more psychological than actual.
    Not for me, $399 without an accessory I have no interest in or $499 with it is a real savings to me.

Even the Titanfall bundle for $450 isn't too appealing. I'd be selling the redemption code and selling off Kinect, but what I'd gain by doing so above the extra $50 plus tax that I spent wouldn't be worth it. Good deal if one wants the Titanfall download and Kinect 2.0 and can't wait on buying into the system though although I'd suggest waiting and looking for a deal on the new expanded bundle that also includes Tomb Raider, extra controller, and a 12 month gold subscription.

It's already seen a pretty heavy discount at least at one retailer.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-15-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If anybody is thinking about buying an Xbox One now, I just wanted to give a Public Service Announcement and say to check your local Craigslist if you want to save crazy money. Remember, Tax is a factor. You buy something off Craigslist for straight up money, no tax added, so that's also part of it.

Before this whole $399.99 no Kinect thing happened, you could look on your local Craigslist, and assuming you have some patience, and can haggle a little bit, you could have gotten a totally legit Xbox One system, which would include the controller, the cheapo headset, the kinect, the power supply, the hdmi cable, etc, etc, plus a couple of extra games, or a game and an extra controller for about $350. To me, that is a much better deal, because you would also get a Kinect, you'd save $50 off the retail price, plus you'd save all the tax. If you have zero interest in Kinect, then sell it off separately and get another $70 cash back for it. That would take your total spent to $280.

All of that was BEFORE this $399 version. I'm not really sure how the aftermarket price is going to react to this whole thing. I think what you're going to see is that a lot of people are going to try to sell Kinect separately. If anybody is looking for an extra Kinect 2.0, I'm guessing right now is a good time, because I imagine there are lots of people in a panic selling mode when it comes to Kinect. Some Xbox One owners are really pissed off at this whole thing, and they are trying to sell their Kinects off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    I'm sure a couple of those were faulty units but that sounds like you're doing something wrong.
    Nope. I have just had bad luck with Sony systems. Sorry. Like it or not, that's the deal. Two PSP's the screens were just horrid and two of them the motors died. I have had a 3000 model for some time and it's working like a champ. Playstation was a nightmare until the PSOne system. Since I bought that, I have had no issue with that particular system. PS2, all three systems were the fat system. Since I got the slim, no issues. I have a launch PS3 and it actually still works, so the first Playstation model that hasn't given me issues.

As for the comments about me doing something wrong. I have a launch Saturn that still works just fine and I played it more than the Playstation. I have a 3DO FZ1 system that works just fine. I have two XBOX systems that are working just fine. I had a launch 360, and it didn't RROD on me, but when the second model design released, I replaced it just to be sure. Launch Gamecube, Dreamcast, and Wii work just fine too. After so long with the Playstations, it was the typical thing, it would start running weird and I would have to flip it over fo9r it to work. VERY common for the system, so yeah, not something I did wrong, something Sony did wrong, sorry. Oh, and I also have a fully fu7nctional Turbografx CD system that works just fine. I haven't had to replace any of the gears, just lube them so they don't break. Like I said, just a problem with Sony crap in this house. So, unless I have to treat the Playstation units any differently than any of those other units and my PS3 and Vita work just fine without a hiccup, I don't think the problem is me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I don't see myself getting an Xbox One anytime soon. As great as Xbox LIVE has been for some people, I think it is pretty much a broken service. If I want to log-in on LIVE with either of my Xbox 360s, I have to keep my profile on a thumb-drive to rotate between the 2 Xbox 360 consoles I have. PSN is much more user friendly, being that I can log into several different PS3s without much of a hassle. If a friend is logged into LIVE with his XB1, I can see that he is online, but I can't see what he is playing, or what games he has played. Meanwhile, I can see what my PS4 friends are playing and what trophies they have unlocked for their games.

I see my gaming PC as a replacement for the XB1, and the PS4 as an eventual replacement for my PS3. It may be several years before I even think about getting Microsoft's console.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 05-16-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I liked the xbox 360 for the most part. But a few factor's have distinguished any excitement I could feel for an upgrade console. I had two RRoD instances and one bad video card. Going through three throw away systems is just terrible. And my confidence in Microsoft at this point is shot. I'm also pretty pissed at all the dashboard updates. Every time they re-haul the dashboard they just toss up more ads. I already pay to use xbox live, do they really have to generate ad revenue on top of it? And the apps... jesus, even if I do get suckered into clicking on a "free movie" promotion xbox insists on installing yet another useless app to view it. At which point I yell "fuck it" and cancel. The more I hear about the XBone being a one stop entertainment center the more I cringe. I just want to play games. I don't give a shit about accessing pay-per-view movies and music-on-demand from my GAMING CONSOLE. If Microsoft can't get the 360 right, why would I have any confidence that they'll do better by the XBone? Finally, there's the games, which are pretty much all available on the PC for a lot less money.

I could see eventually getting a PS4 for the Japanese exclusives, but at this point I'd much rather have a Wii U.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Nope.

Considering i just bought a ps4 a few hours ago, double nope.

Ive always owned every console per generation since the playstation 1 era, but ive never come across a console i wanted less than the xb one. Microsoft truly is in a no win situation.

Before i had planned on picking up an xbone when the 2nd or 3rd slim revision dropped in a few years and all the exclusives were out and cheap as im not really crazy about any of their games so far and no fucking way was i picking up a console for 500, fuck outta here, but now with kinect basically dead in the water, the one thing that made them unique, wtf is the point?

Yes now they have price parity but wtf do i get for that money? A console that is objectively and appreciably weaker from a company that actively tries to fuck you at every corner and doesnt have 1/30th the amount or variety in exclusives that sony does. No thanks
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

PS4 only this generation, at least for the time being. 10 years from now I will have an Xbone and a Wii U though.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    Nope.

Considering i just bought a ps4 a few hours ago, double nope.

Ive always owned every console per generation since the playstation 1 era, but ive never come across a console i wanted less than the xb one. Microsoft truly is in a no win situation.

Before i had planned on picking up an xbone when the 2nd or 3rd slim revision dropped in a few years and all the exclusives were out and cheap as im not really crazy about any of their games so far and no fucking way was i picking up a console for 500, fuck outta here, but now with kinect basically dead in the water, the one thing that made them unique, wtf is the point?

Yes now they have price parity but wtf do i get for that money? A console that is objectively and appreciably weaker from a company that actively tries to fuck you at every corner and doesnt have 1/30th the amount or variety in exclusives that sony does. No thanks
    We just got our PS4 on May 4th

Expensive, but we got Honda Accords in 2012 and 2013 both on May 4. The one we got on 5/4/2012 was totaled on 4/22/2013, so we got its replacement on 5/4/2013. A 2008 and a 2011. I swear by my 2008 and newer Honda Accords
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Daria and Laughingman there pegged all my objections really to MS on the whole and their consoles. They offer nothing but pay to use online models with ad spam and a very very small roster of unique franchise games which have (if possible) less than zero appeal to me at all. Halo isn't that special, Gears is just another of the type, and Forza has been done better elsewhere and not stuck on one system. Throw in all they did horribly wrong on the 360 to the system and their loyal from xbox to the horrible shit they attempted or did pull on XB1, and now throwing their camera to the toilet showing no confidence in their own goods says more than enough for anyone who isn't some insane ms fanboy.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Hell no. It would be the very last console I would get for this generation. I would get an Ouya 2, Wii U, PS4, 3DS and a Retron5 before I get an Xbox One.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Eh, I have all the current generation consoles. They all have games I enjoy and in the end that's all that matters to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    Eh, I have all the current generation consoles. They all have games I enjoy and in the end that's all that matters to me.
    The Xbox One does have a couple of games that I "enjoy", per se, but I don't really feel like these games justify my purchase. I have some serious buyers remorse with the thing, but it's too late to cry over spilled milk. I can't get the toothpaste back in the tube if you know what I'm saying ? lol

It's like this... I've taken about a $200 hit on my whole XB1 experience, but it's one of those live and learn things. Had I known, what I know right now, I wouldn't be getting a Xbox One until the day Sunset Overdrive is available, and only in a special bundle that would really make sense. There is no need for me to own the thing right now. I currently have Ryse, and the game is half-way decent. Basically, it's like a modern day Altered Beast, from the standpoint that it's got some nice graphics and sounds that make you think your system has some relatively decent power under the hood. Ryse could pass as a PS4 game, heh... Forza 5 is also a pretty good game, microtransaction tomfoolery non-withstanding. Those are the two games that I could say that I "enjoyed', or is currently enjoying. I also had Dead Rising 3, and it's "ok", but nothing to write home about. I own Titanfal but never play the game. I knew it wasn't for me, but I'm a bit shocked that my kids never play it, and they love COD. At first they played Titanfall for a few days, but they haven't fired it up since.

I unfortunately bought a guy's download code for that, so that $40 is dead money that will never be recovered. That's the problem with buying something digital, it's dead money once you've spent it. You're not getting that money back. I really should have bought the physical disk, because then I would have easily been able to sell it for a halfway decent amount and cut my losses. Big mistake on my part. I bought Dead Rising 3, Forza 5 and Battlefield 4 on Xbox One, all at launch, physical disk. and I've been able to sell all 3 games without any issues at all. In fact, I pretty much broke even on those games because I had bought them on a B2G1 deal that Target was having at the time. That's the good news, I didn't actually loose too much on Xbox One Software. Titanfall is obviously $40 of dead money and I paid $24.99 plus tax for Ryse. I think it was like $28 ish total. I'll probably get $20 to $25 back when I'm done with Ryse, so I'm cool with that. I've taken a bath on the hardware, but at least I didn't get hosed on the software too bad.
    Last edited by WCP; 05-18-2014 at 02:47 PM.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

It's certainly good news and really more of a smart move on their part vs stubbornly clinging to the kinect as a forced purchase. Had I not already gotten one I'd certainly be interested in the new kinect less one. The gestures and voice commands are cool but a novelty at the end of the day. I like my One but so far I've plYed my 360 more than I have it since launch. Thanks a lot World of Tanks....
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

On the Beach of Dreams... Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally it's good news. But it's not enough for me to buy the console anytime soon. I'm really excited for Microsoft's E3 though as I'm excited to see what they showcase. I currently only want two games for the system (Alien: Isolation & Dead Rising 3), but it's definitely not enough for me to want to buy it soon. At the moment, I'd only play those two games on someone else's Xbox One because the price of the system is just way too high for me to even think about buying.
    Last edited by Gothic-Yoichi; 05-18-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I'll buy the new generation console, then it'll be PS4. I'm more of a Playstation guy. Plus it's smaller, better graphics.
    Check out these links for great video game and gaming related deals!
    Geek Deals US - Best Video Game Deals
    Geek Deals Twitter page
    Become Anonymous on the Internet with NordVPN

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Passing on both the Xbox One and the PS4. Current PC is still doing fine and Steam and all the Blizzard franchises keep me busy. I plan on building a new gaming PC in the fall. Got plenty of retro stuff to play too.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When Halo 5 and Crackdown 3 are out and there's been a few more price drops I will take a look.
    until then no thanks...