Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: XBox One now 400, anyone getting it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flare65 View Post
    Passing on both the Xbox One and the PS4. Current PC is still doing fine and Steam and all the Blizzard franchises keep me busy. I plan on building a new gaming PC in the fall. Got plenty of retro stuff to play too.

I wish I did what you did.

I should have skipped both the PS4 and XB1, because I think both of them didn't really step up to the plate. Remember when the Xbox 360 first game out ? The Xbox 360 versions of games like Need For Speed Most Wanted, actually looked better on the 360 than the PC version. For a very BRIEF moment in time, consoles had more power than the PC. It didn't last very long at all, because when Oblivion came out, it was definitely better on PC. Of course, Xbox 360 had Gears, and Gears was more impressive than most PC games at the same time. (Yes, I know Gears 1 eventually game to the PC).

When the PS3 first hit, I think Motorstorm was a cut above anything on the PC for that brief moment in time. The way the mud looked, and the desert canyons you were going through. Again, didn't last very long, but for a very short period in time, the PS3 was beyond the average PC.

Now, we are in the year 2014, and I can say with authority that a high end gaming PC can really murder these current consoles. The Xbox One is especially being outperformed by run of the mill gaming PC's. It's a damn shame if you really think about it. Consoles always temporarily had the power advantage over PC, yeah it didn't last very long, but it still happened. This time, it wasn't even close. I don't see how these machines are expected to last for 5 or 6 years. I think they were designed with that in mind, but I don't think it's going to happen. Not with Steam Machines lurking in the background. The PS4 and XB1 are both stuck with 2012/2013 technology for at least the next 5 years. Meanwhile, PC's will continue to get more and more powerful, and the trickle down effect means that even the bargain basement cheapo gamer PC's will eventually smoke the PS4 and XB1. Might not happen for about 4 years, in terms of truly having an affordable Steam machine that murders the current consoles, but I think it will happen assuming Sony or MS, doesn't realize they can't have another super long cycle with stagnant hardware.

I don't think Project Morpheus is really going to save the PS4 either, because I just don't think the PS4 has quite enough hardware muscle to really give VR the kind of experience you need, and I also think Sony will cheap out on the headset. I think Facebook will be willing to take a bigger loss per unit with Oculus, and because of the power of the PC, you can pay enough and have unfathomable experiences with Oculus at some point in the next 4 years. Just imagine a racing game on the Oculus, where you are sitting in the actual cockpit of a Formula One race car. PC owners could actually go all out, and assemble some type of cockpit setup, that could somehow sync with the PC for force feedback, etc, etc, and just imagine sitting in that thing and wearing the Oculus headset. It could be mind blowing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Even with a,kinect less xbox-one console coming i'm still not sold on it.I still have plans to buy a PS4 in the future and that will be it nothing more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Microsoft's shoddy business practices with DRM and all that bullshit lost me as a customer, and the fact that I had 3 xbox360 die on me even if I did play less than 10 hours per month. Yes I know they reversed their decisions on DRM and I dont care it's just too little too late, and most major third party games are released on both platforms and look and play the same. MS first party software doesnt appeal to me, dont care about Halo, gears and kinect crappy games so this will be the first time I dont buy all the major systems in a generation. Also paying for both xbox live and ps+ is a total waste of money, so I picked the ps4, more exclusive franchise and slightly better hardware. Not trying to sound like a fanboy, I am not, but this his how I feel about the Xone right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Honestly, if there is anybody out there that hasn't bought either a PS4 or a Xbox One, and you have $450 burning a hole in your pocket....

I would put that money towards a new gaming PC, or a gaming PC upgrade if you already have a mediocre gaming PC. It's what I should have done. While everybody on the PS4 and XB1 are playing Watch Dogs in 900p or 720p, you'll be playing it in a legit 1080p. While everyone on the PS4 and XB1 are playing it with 30 fps, you'll be playing with 60 fps. You'll miss out on the huge exclusives that aren't translated to PC right away, but here's the thing, there really aren't any huge games coming till at least November 2015. That's when Halo 5 and Uncharted and all the big hitters will hit. It's a long time between now and then. I think a gaming PC would provide the most bang for the buck until those legit exclusives really come to fruition. Now, if you don't have any PC at all that you can upgrade, and have to pretty much start from scratch with a PC build, then yeah, it could get pretty damn expensive. You'd need to spend about a strong $700 on the tower, maybe $800, and then provide your own mouse / keyboard / wired 360 controller / monitor or TV . If you already have a PC, and have a decent power supply and case and hard drive, with windows and stuff, then it's just a matter of upgrading the motherboard / CPU / memory and Video Card.

Remember if 4K ever becomes a thing, the PC will be able to do it WAY before the PS4 or XB1 can do it. So, that could be an additional bonus in the future.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought one when Microsoft was giving away a free game with the system. I went to Best Buy so I could get the Gamer's Club Unlocked discount card for 2 years with it for free. They only had vanilla systems so I didn't get the one that had Madden, but that was fine since I don't particularly enjoy sports games. I chose Diablo III as my free game, and I already had a copy of Dead Rising 3 that I had picked up and held onto until I got the system. Dead Rising 3 is really fun since they got rid of the time countdown and let you play the game at its own pace.

I like Xbox One although I wish I had more to play on the system. I've got Games with Gold, so I already own Super Time Force, Crimson Dragon and Chariot on the system. Super Time Force is pretty fun, although I haven't figured out the mechanics (it's kind of like Contra with a time rewind button), and Crimson Dragon is very similar to Panzer Dragoon Orta with beautiful graphics. I haven't booted Chariot yet.

I put down $5 on a Sunset Overdrive pre-order, so I'm looking forward to that one. Not a big fan of Insomniac Games, the developer, but it looks so over the top, that I just wanted to own it.

Oh, and I was one of the few people on the planet who didn't know that the system required a Day One update to run at all. So people who don't have Wi-Fi at home are screwed if they buy one because the system is a $400 brick without it. Dead Rising 3 also required a 16 gb update before the game would even boot.
    Last edited by josekortez; 10-05-2014 at 07:10 AM.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Already got it. I love it.. I am having a lot of fun with it. I did get a great deal on it though - had this deal not come around - I probably would have waited.

Kinect Console with Titanfall, Dead Rising, Assasin's Creed, Forza, a titanfall controller, regular controller, and two usb charging packs for $200. I just couldn't pass it up and I am glad that I didn't because I have played on it a lot.

I was never a big fan of the original XBOX.. I was always a PS1 and PS2 gamer. But I did pick up the 360 when the slim came out (waited because I didn't want to deal with the RROD but I did realize that the online and game selection was excellent). The 360 I enjoy highly.
    Last edited by Oldskool; 10-09-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm having trouble understanding why, but this is the first generation which I'm not particularly desperate to jump head first into. The Wii U is definitely first on my list for when I do finally get around to buying one, then the PS4, and lastly the Xbox One.

Once the games I want to play are cheaper, I'll get one. I think that's what it boils down to. I'm becoming super frugal in my old age

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Quote Originally Posted by dcware View Post
    I think that's what it boils down to. I'm becoming super frugal in my old age
    Nothing wrong with that.

It's funny as this is the first generation that I bought all the consoles at launch. In the past I always waited until they had a couple price drops and I could pick up a bunch of games on the cheap.