Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odds of getting my hands on an RDI Halcyon by my 30th birthday (about 8 1/2 years from now)?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by General Catastrophe View Post
    You will find this very recent Ebay auction of interest:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RDI-Halcyon-...p2047675.l2557

Both Halcyon games boxed with overlays and discs, though only Football had the game cartridge, and a system owners manual. Look at the bid history too- it's all one guy. So, stuff DOES turn up, and where a manual exists a system might not be far away...

Bojay: your thoughts on the listing are especially pertinent and appreciated!
    I've seen the games pop up fairly regularly over the past decade or two. In fact, I recall being at an arcade auction in the late 90s and one of the lots being just a bunch of the NFL games in a shipping case. There was also a guy selling the loose Thayer's Quest discs and NFL games discs on Ebay for probably 10 years from the late 90s through late 2010 or so. Like the laserdisc player, far more of the game discs were printed than Halcyons built as there were minimums through Pioneer for disc replication. Having said that, these games are in the actual boxes that they would have been shipped in with the Halcyon and the manual is not something I have seen sold apart from the full system before. Still, the fact that someone paid almost $1K for one complete game and just a Thayer's Quest disc in some fairly poor condition packaging along with a system manual is a pretty clear indication that prices are continuing to increase.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    Hey, collect what you want, more power to you. But do you really feel "proud" to own a particular piece if electronics? You didn't design it, you didn't create it. You bought it. Is this your source of pride?

I find that sad.
    This might be the single dumbest argument I have ever seen on this forum. You do understand that many, if not most, of us here are collectors, right? We collect video game systems and games. As such, many of us do feel proud of owning particular pieces of electronics. It's the same pride that anyone that collects something feels. If you have no interest in collecting video games, you're definitely in the wrong place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    This might be the single dumbest argument I have ever seen on this forum. You do understand that many, if not most, of us here are collectors, right? We collect video game systems and games. As such, many of us do feel proud of owning particular pieces of electronics. It's the same pride that anyone that collects something feels. If you have no interest in collecting video games, you're definitely in the wrong place.
    Of course I enjoy collecting video games. But I would never say that I'm "proud" of owning some collectible or another. That's a sad way to measure self worth, which is what pride is. If someone thinks he's a better person because he owns an Adventurevision than he would be if he didn't, then he needs to rethink things.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

At some point during my time on Earth, I WILL own a Halcyon. Maybe before I'm 30. If it comes to it, I don't care if I'm 47 and have to pay $10,000 in 2014 dollars to borrow someone's Halcyon for six months. Still six months with a Halcyon. One day, someone born AFTER the Halcyon was ever on sale needs one. I'm almost 8 years younger than the Halcyon. My parents didn't even know each other when the Halcyon came out. They were both in high school then (early 1985). The Halcyon was long discontinued and forgotten by the day I was born. Of course, maybe - hopefully - someone born after 1985 has a Halcyon already. Then again, the more pressing point is that I just love rare, obscure stuff from rare, obscure companies.
    Last edited by WelcomeToTheNextLevel; 05-29-2014 at 02:57 AM.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Of course I enjoy collecting video games. But I would never say that I'm "proud" of owning some collectible or another. That's a sad way to measure self worth, which is what pride is. If someone thinks he's a better person because he owns an Adventurevision than he would be if he didn't, then he needs to rethink things.
    I dont think anyone here associates self-worth with their collections.

I think a person can 'take pride' in doing something by doing something well and not have it associated with one's self-worth.

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    At some point during my time on Earth, I WILL own a Halcyon.
    keep dreaming.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't think you understand what pride is. It can be as simple as the satisfaction of knowing that you've accomplished a personal goal. Pride isn't necessarily about thinking that you're a better person. I think people should be proud when they obtain certain milestones in their collection, particularly if there was a long and sustained effort toward reaching a particular goal or some kind of innovative or creative solution employed to solving a problem. I know that over the years I have engaged in complex and difficult negotiations, sought out unusual sources of items and done a lot of things that were personal accomplishments in the pursuit of my collection. Having said that, there's also nothing wrong with being proud of the fact that you've earned a good living such that you can pay a premium for items on Ebay or elsewhere. It seems pretty clear to me that you have a lot of resentment and possibly jealousy for collectors who have made better choices than you have in life and as a result can obtain truly rare items.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I guess I don't understand why people care what a person's reasons are or how they feel about owning something. If it makes him happy and is worth the investment to him then more power to him.

While I personally won't buy any gaming related item I can't or won't play it doesn't mean I have any sort of issue with someone else doing it. We're all different so why should I think less of him or put him down simply because we have different beliefs?!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I found one on eBay for $10k, no bids with 20 hours left to go. Hopefully it doesn't sell for all $10k and gets sold for four figures

I probably overestimated myself saying I could get one by 30. 35 seems very likely though.

Then again, if the date I get a Halcyon is set to September 5, 2014, then I was probably born in the Atari 2600 era, got an NES instead of a PS1 as my first major console, and PS2 is the "latest and greatest" console now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Odds of getting my hands on an RDI Halcyon by my 30th birthday (about 8 1/2 y...

Hey, collect what you want, more power to you. But do you really feel "proud" to own a particular piece if electronics? You didn't design it, you didn't create it. You bought it. Is this your source of pride?

I find that sad.
    Yes, I feel extremely proud. I didn't invent it. But I own it, and the vast majority of classic gamers do not. To me, that's a great feeling. Not saying it's right or most will agree, but it's me. I sometimes enjoy "wow factor." It's who I am and doesn't make me a bad person.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The pride does not come from owning the object itself (at least not for me) the pride comes from working my ass off and saving money and overcoming setbacks in order to obtain something I want. The object is a representaion of effort and that is the source of pride. If someone thinks that the object I wanted is stupid or pointless, that does not matter, it doesn't take away the fact I achieved something I set out to do. There is no shame on being proud of achieveing a goal.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I found one on eBay for $10k, no bids with 20 hours left to go. Hopefully it doesn't sell for all $10k and gets sold for four figures

I probably overestimated myself saying I could get one by 30. 35 seems very likely though.

Then again, if the date I get a Halcyon is set to September 5, 2014, then I was probably born in the Atari 2600 era, got an NES instead of a PS1 as my first major console, and PS2 is the "latest and greatest" console now.
    There is some weirdness going on here. He had a bidder at $5K and was willing to initially do a BIN of $10K. The $5K bidder cancelled his bid and at one point the seller claimed he had offers of $10K. He then set the starting bid at $10K with a BIN of $25K. He then removed the BIN for some reason. He's missing some of the packaging, everything has wear and he can't even confirm that the computer unit is working. As such, this might be more of a display piece than an actual working unit unfortunately and that's gonna likely impact the value especially since there are quite a few custom parts inside the computer unit including a hard to find proprietary custom power adapter. It's also possible the power adapter failed at some point and caused damage inside the computer unit. Hopefully the new owner is handy with vintage computer component and electronics repair.

On a side note, I'm not following why you think this makes obtaining a Halcyon more likely unless you're planning to buy this one. This is only the third complete unit to be sold on Ebay since 1999 and the first one since 2008. The pool of units out there remains the same size and each time they seem to go for higher and higher amounts.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 09-05-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Can you guys post a link to the posting on eBay? I could not find it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Can you guys post a link to the posting on eBay? I could not find it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RDI-HALCYON-...item1c456a85de

Looks like it sold for $10K assuming the buyer and seller follow through.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Here's a for parts one for $3000 http://www.ebay.com/itm/RDI-HALCYON-...item19f3da7561

It actually still works but the seller won't guarantee it getting to you in one piece.

Oh and it's missing the parts that actually let you control the games.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 10-09-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    It belongs in a museum !!! Just kidding still the halcyon is so rare that the odds are stack against you.
    Funny you mention. It was in the museum at CGE 2014 this year and will be a part of the Video Game History Museum when it finally opens up. I couldn't believe what I was looking at and you don't even want to know what they had to go through and the cost to acquire it was. It was also boxed and complete although the box was a bit tattered.
    Last edited by Oldskool; 10-09-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I'm most interested in the Halcyon market between 2019 and 2027. I get my bachelor's degree in 2018 or so, and will work full time from (around) that point. The prices on these things are ridiculous. Ideally, one comes up for sale in 2025 for under $12,000. The prices of rare items nowadays are fucking ridiculous.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-11-14 honda.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	7854
    This is my car. It has heated leather seats, a 271 horsepower V6 engine, a built in navigation system, dual zone climate control, a 6 disc CD changer, six airbags, and ample room for five adults. It's supposed to last me many years, and unfortunately has put a major damper on my video game collecting hobby. But it was worth it, I love this car. At 2 years old with 41,589 miles, in perfect condition, it was $21,990. A Halcyon isn't worth that much, and neither is any other rare video game item. Some things are expensive, and deservedly so. But the rare item market wasn't this apeshit when I started collecting at age 13 in 2006. Rare stuff cost a pretty penny, but nothing - even one of a kind prototypes - cost what a 2 year old loaded Honda Accord did. The problem is in many other collecting fields. Art is really bad. $150 million for a painting? If you bought something like my car every day, it would take 6,821 days - 18.7 years - to get to $150 million. By that time, someone born the day you bought the first car could DRIVE that car. At least a Halcyon, even at 25 grand, if you put away 3 grand a year, you could get one in a little over 8 years. Not sure if I want one that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure if I want one that bad.
    I'm glad you're coming to your senses. If you feel like your entire reason for existing is to get your hands on something that for all intents and purposes is completely unobtainable, you're not going to have a very happy life. My advice would be to forget about it. If your mania persists and you feel you simply must have some uber-rare item, go after something like NWC. Still hard to find and very expensive, but ultimately not impossible to get.
    Last edited by retroguy; 02-28-2015 at 07:22 AM.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'm most interested in the Halcyon market between 2019 and 2027. I get my bachelor's degree in 2018 or so, and will work full time from (around) that point. The prices on these things are ridiculous. Ideally, one comes up for sale in 2025 for under $12,000. The prices of rare items nowadays are fucking ridiculous.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-11-14 honda.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	7854
    This is my car. It has heated leather seats, a 271 horsepower V6 engine, a built in navigation system, dual zone climate control, a 6 disc CD changer, six airbags, and ample room for five adults. It's supposed to last me many years, and unfortunately has put a major damper on my video game collecting hobby. But it was worth it, I love this car. At 2 years old with 41,589 miles, in perfect condition, it was $21,990. A Halcyon isn't worth that much, and neither is any other rare video game item. Some things are expensive, and deservedly so. But the rare item market wasn't this apeshit when I started collecting at age 13 in 2006. Rare stuff cost a pretty penny, but nothing - even one of a kind prototypes - cost what a 2 year old loaded Honda Accord did. The problem is in many other collecting fields. Art is really bad. $150 million for a painting? If you bought something like my car every day, it would take 6,821 days - 18.7 years - to get to $150 million. By that time, someone born the day you bought the first car could DRIVE that car. At least a Halcyon, even at 25 grand, if you put away 3 grand a year, you could get one in a little over 8 years. Not sure if I want one that bad.
    It's nice (except for that CD changer, why is it even needed with an iPod attachment?), but for that price I'd rather get a 2011 Camaro SS. I don't care about comfort. I care about raw, unabridged 400 horsepowerr. And it must be stick or I don't want it. But that's just my taste.

Of course, you can't really compare common cars to systems. In 2025, the Honda will be worth under $2,000. The Halcyon will only continue to grow in value. The way I afford my rare systems (like my Entex Adventurevision) is just just drive around in my 2003 Durango. Holds 9, has a ton of room, goes over snow with ease, and costs only $2,500. And I'[ve got that GPS too. And two airbags is pleanty enough for me.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Edited

Insert Coin (Level 0) JoshDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leatherrebel5150 View Post
    The pride does not come from owning the object itself (at least not for me) the pride comes from working my ass off and saving money and overcoming setbacks in order to obtain something I want. The object is a representaion of effort and that is the source of pride. If someone thinks that the object I wanted is stupid or pointless, that does not matter, it doesn't take away the fact I achieved something I set out to do. There is no shame on being proud of achieveing a goal.
    I agree. Except I'm like that about sports competitions.

Generally speaking, material items don't mean a whole lot to me. There are of course exceptions but I'm trying to move away from collecting things.

Actually, planning to sell off some of my old video games.

What you do with your life, matters more than what you owned.
    Last edited by JoshDragon; 03-05-2015 at 12:45 AM.
    Check out my YouTube channel for retro gaming walkthroughs. https://www.youtube.com/user/JoshDragon18