Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I must be the only person in the world that doesn't care for the Gamecube controller. I play most of my WiiU games on the Pro controller and love it.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    I must be the only person in the world that doesn't care for the Gamecube controller. I play most of my WiiU games on the Pro controller and love it.
    Nah, I've heard plenty of people say they don't like it. A lot of people are split on the tiny dpad and odd face button proportions. Myself, I like it because it's comfortable and works really well for GameCube first-party games. It seems like Nintendo built the best controller possible for their style of games.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Happily, Nintendo has confirmed that this allows a GameCube gamepad to be used in any Wii U software with Pro Controller support and any Wii software with Classic Controller support.

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-ac...n=VigLink%20UK

"This adapter will allow you to connect your GameCube controller to the Nintendo Wii or Wii U. Connect your GameCube controller to your Wii or Wii U console. Compatible with all games supported by the Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro and Wii U Pro Controller."

I had hoped it would work this way and provide an all in one controller solution for the Wii U, but didn't really think that there was much of a chance of it. I figured at best, it would be supported by all Wii U software with Pro Controller support, but have no Wii mode Classic Controller functionality. Now that we know about compatibility though, it opens up two new questions.

First, there's obviously not enough buttons on a GCN gamepad to cover every possible control input on a Wii U gamepad (Most notably, there's no home button). And I wonder if there's any chance that when hooked up to an original Wii, which this adapter supports, if my GameCube controller that's seen as a Wii Classic Controller when using this adapter would still be seen as a GameCube controller when booted into GCN mode.

No more annoyingly having to pick up a Wii remote just in order to start a GCN game, if that's the case.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-08-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I honestly didn't think that would support anything other than Super Smash Bros, let alone every game that supports the Wii Classic Controller.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like that information was wrong. Nintendo updated the page to say this:

Please note the GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U is compatible with Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U specifically - it is not compatible with any other Wii U software. The adapter is also not compatible with Wii and we apologise for any confusion prompted by our earlier listing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Wow, I honestly didn't think that would support anything other than Super Smash Bros, let alone every game that supports the Wii Classic Controller.
    I figured at best, it would be supported by most Pro Controller enabled releases. And at worst, be supported by the Virtual Console and Nintendo's major 1st party releases with local multiplayer modes (Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros. U, Super Mario 3D World, etc.).

I hoped it would end up the way it apparently has, but I wasn't holding my breath.

Edit: Thanks Nintendo...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like someone looked at the description for the PDP GameCube-styled controllers and assumed it was the same thing.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Jive3D; 05-01-2022 at 10:47 AM.