Thread: Wii U GameCube Controller Adapter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Wii U GameCube Controller Adapter

When is this coming out? It's for Smash...

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Holiday season.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No details are known, they simply showed it in a video for some sort of Super Smash Brothers 4 tournament. If it appears, it's safe to assume it should arrive before or simultaneously with Super Smash Brothers, but it's still just an assumption.

We don't know if it's even slated for release or if it will appear here in the West, if the announced GameCube inspired gamepad will be an actual GCN compatible controller that's bundled with this adapter, what controller type it will be recognized as by the system or if it will be seen as something unique requiring special support rather than doubling as a Pro Controller for maximum usefulness, if it's Wavebird compatible, etc.

I'd love it if it would function in Pro Controller and Classic Controller enabled releases, but that's probably wishing for too much. Miss my Wavebird in some Wii stuff like my N64 VC downloads.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-07-2014 at 11:59 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Nintendo of America said Smash bros will be playable with it...so it's pretty safe to assume it's planned for release here.
    Nintendo partnered with PDP to make a GameCube inspired wired controller to be used with Smash bros, and it's supposed to be available when the game launches.
    Considering they're both for the same game, then I'm assuming they'll both be available around the same time. Holiday season.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Personally I find it simultaneously hilarious and pathetic that the best controller to play Nintendo's most anticipated game of 2014 is to use a controller they developed in 2001.

Nintendo, what happened to you? Ever sinc ethe N64 trident, every controller you've made has been quarky and bad save for a handful of games that really benefit from the oddball design.

The exciting part of this announcement to be though is that it potentially means you can use Xbox and PS2 controllers on WiiU with Xbox/PS2 to GameCube adapters.

I kinda want to use an Xbox controller S to play WiiU titles as a big f you to Nintendo for their crappy controller designs of the past two decades.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Between this and the Final Destination-ing of every stage, it seems they want to get tournament players back in board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    Nintendo of America said Smash bros will be playable with it...so it's pretty safe to assume it's planned for release here.
    It doesn't change that all we've seen of this appears at 2:20 in this trailer.

So saying something like it's due to be released this holiday season, unless I've missed some additional information beyond this and a NOA Tweet with a picture, simply isn't accurate information since we don't have any information. All we have are assumptions like the reasonable guess that it's going to be released before or simultaneously with Super Smash Brothers.

But it's still just an assumption. For all we know, these might be on their way to retailers as we speak, it might quietly be canned and forgotten about, etc.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-03-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When this comes to market, I will find a friend who owns this console and try out my PS2 controller adapter.
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I must be the only person in the world that doesn't care for the Gamecube controller. I play most of my WiiU games on the Pro controller and love it.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    I must be the only person in the world that doesn't care for the Gamecube controller. I play most of my WiiU games on the Pro controller and love it.
    Nah, I've heard plenty of people say they don't like it. A lot of people are split on the tiny dpad and odd face button proportions. Myself, I like it because it's comfortable and works really well for GameCube first-party games. It seems like Nintendo built the best controller possible for their style of games.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Happily, Nintendo has confirmed that this allows a GameCube gamepad to be used in any Wii U software with Pro Controller support and any Wii software with Classic Controller support.

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-ac...n=VigLink%20UK

"This adapter will allow you to connect your GameCube controller to the Nintendo Wii or Wii U. Connect your GameCube controller to your Wii or Wii U console. Compatible with all games supported by the Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro and Wii U Pro Controller."

I had hoped it would work this way and provide an all in one controller solution for the Wii U, but didn't really think that there was much of a chance of it. I figured at best, it would be supported by all Wii U software with Pro Controller support, but have no Wii mode Classic Controller functionality. Now that we know about compatibility though, it opens up two new questions.

First, there's obviously not enough buttons on a GCN gamepad to cover every possible control input on a Wii U gamepad (Most notably, there's no home button). And I wonder if there's any chance that when hooked up to an original Wii, which this adapter supports, if my GameCube controller that's seen as a Wii Classic Controller when using this adapter would still be seen as a GameCube controller when booted into GCN mode.

No more annoyingly having to pick up a Wii remote just in order to start a GCN game, if that's the case.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-08-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I honestly didn't think that would support anything other than Super Smash Bros, let alone every game that supports the Wii Classic Controller.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like that information was wrong. Nintendo updated the page to say this:

Please note the GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U is compatible with Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U specifically - it is not compatible with any other Wii U software. The adapter is also not compatible with Wii and we apologise for any confusion prompted by our earlier listing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Wow, I honestly didn't think that would support anything other than Super Smash Bros, let alone every game that supports the Wii Classic Controller.
    I figured at best, it would be supported by most Pro Controller enabled releases. And at worst, be supported by the Virtual Console and Nintendo's major 1st party releases with local multiplayer modes (Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros. U, Super Mario 3D World, etc.).

I hoped it would end up the way it apparently has, but I wasn't holding my breath.

Edit: Thanks Nintendo...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like someone looked at the description for the PDP GameCube-styled controllers and assumed it was the same thing.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Jive3D; 05-01-2022 at 10:47 AM.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jive3D View Post
    Is the game bundled with the controller available for Pre-Order anywhere? I want to lock this thing down. I've never been much of a smash guy, but this time I'm really enjoying the hyp; they had me at Mega Man.
    I pre-ordered the GC Controller bundle through Gamestop. It looks like Best Buy is still listing the item as available for pre-order but no dice when it comes to Amazon. I'm surprised Best Buy still has an open pre-order on units considering how close the release date is. I would have figured any and all places that did pre-orders would have closed the window for this by now.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder how much this thing is going to go for on Ebay. I have mine preorded at Amazon right now and may preorder another at Best Buy just in case. I hate to be that guy but Nintendo fans are really stupid about stuff like this. I want one for myself though because I never thought Nintendo would release something like this.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I pre oredered mine on EB Games. I tried to pre order the order the amiibos but apparently theyre not takn any more pre orders. Guess i gotta go to other places when they open.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Jive3D; 05-01-2022 at 10:47 AM.