Thread: Videogame Box Protectors

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Videogame Box Protectors

Anybody use the Videogame Box Protectors that you see on Ebay and such? Im specificaly wondering how they fit on sealed PS1 singel and duel cases and 3DO sealed long boxes. Or how you like them in general if you use them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love them. I've not messed with the dual CD case ones, but I've gotten many Nintendo game cases and Atari ones, and a few others (Sega CD\Saturn boxes, TG-16, Manual pouches, ect).

I dislike THAT seller, 10 nes protectors should be about $7.50 he charges almost 9. And does obscene amounts for the UGC cases there, almost $10 a case.

http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com and http://www.retroprotection.com are both nice, retro doesn't get as much traffic, but they sort the orders better. So if you order 10 of one case, 10 of another, and 30 of a third, you don't have a mess of clear plastic trying to sort them, they're all labeled (If you get them in bundles of 10).

EDIT: That same ebay auction is $2.55 if you buy directly videogameboxprotectors, so even that ebay auction has a good deal of markup.
    Last edited by Ozzy_98; 06-30-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I don't go without them on cardboard boxes anymore. Fantastic product. The manual bags are great too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used them for cardboard stuff. Worn cardboard games looks a lot nicer in a protectors as it helps reshape them a bit even.

That said, there's almost no need for them on CD/DVD cases, clamshells or longboxes. All those are pretty solid as is, and if I am really anal about it I will use a poly bag instead. Poly bags are also great for Japanese games where you still have the obi and want to display it with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

any views on the manual bags? I think it would be a nice addition if they offered a cardboard backing to the manual bags. Just thinking out loud.
    Current Collection Stats As Of 12/10/2013 : Cartridges - 206 ( 182 unique titles 24 label variations ) : Cassettes - 21 :

Currently in the market for :

+ Atari 8 bit game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
    + Atari 8 Bit Prototype and Demo cartridges
    + Atari 8 bit manuals and boxes

PM me if you see anything above that you have doubles or interest in getting rid of.

Check out my
    Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at http://www.a8museum.com
    Atari 8-Bit Museum on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/392317377550512/
    And on Ebay under the handle ThePaperVault

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by GamerTheGreek View Post
    any views on the manual bags? I think it would be a nice addition if they offered a cardboard backing to the manual bags. Just thinking out loud.
    I like them. No more rubbing directly against the cover inside the box, or creasing pages when putting it back in the box.

Cardboard backing, sure, if you're keeping manuals separate or have piles of them with no box. That would be a nice option then.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use them on all my carts and CIB games, they work great.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i don't like the box protectors. you are going to damage your box more putting it in and taking it out of the tight fit "protector" than you would if you were just careful with your boxes in the first place. and it makes a shiny mess of your shelf if you have everything in box protectors and you are going to spend a fortune to get every single cardboard box protected if you have a big collection (I have 200 boxed NES games, how much will that set me back in protectors? lol). if not then everything looks mismatched some shiny with protectors and some cardboard. im not a fan of aftermarket plastic box protectors. im not a fan of VGA either.
    Last edited by Kevincal; 07-09-2014 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    i don't like the box protectors. you are going to damage your box more putting it in and taking it out of the tight fit "protector" than you would if you were just careful with your boxes in the first place. and it makes a shiny mess of your shelf if you have everything in box protectors and you are going to spend a fortune to get every single cardboard box protected if you have a big collection (I have 200 boxed NES games, how much will that set me back in protectors? lol). if not then everything looks mismatched some shiny with protectors and some cardboard. im not a fan of aftermarket plastic box protectors. im not a fan of VGA either.
    Once you put a box in a protector there is really no need to take them out of there. You can still access all the contents of any item in a protector without removing it from the outer box. Yeah, they're expensive and I only have a handful myself, but it's great for protecting the cardboard from the rest of the world.

In the end it is your decision, but I find them great for delaying the eventual box death that all cardboard will meet through regular handling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    (I have 200 boxed NES games, how much will that set me back in protectors? lol)
    $58 x 2 = $116 for 200 protectors. And they're not so tight they damage the box. And why are you taking it OUT of the protector? Are you storing your cart you play in 30+ year old cardboard?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't have room to store boxes and carts separately so ya I store my games in their boxes. I just like to look at and hold the original box and look at them on my shelf as they are. ive always taken great care of my stuff. I handle everything gently etc. as long as you do that, no more wear will occur to boxes (very very little). boxes get messed up in the first place from clueless people who handle their stuff like crap. oh not to mention once the clear box protectors age a bit they will be full of fingerprints and get dirty and wont be so clear anymore. i mean its an ok idea but seems a huge hassle and extra cost etc. meh also once the outside of the plastic gets all scratched up it will look like hell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of us use them to protect from shelfwear, compression, and dust. I doubt very few people have their games stored in the actual cardboard if they play the games, just due to the wear\tear on the cardboard; only so many times you can bend the flaps after all. As for fingerprints, ect, they're PET, just wipe clean, and done. Not that there should be many fingerprints on them, most people don't take them down and look at the cases very often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I was just thinking about box protectors the other day. I went through my big box of misc. game stuff, and saw my boxed games of Castlevania II, Castlevania III, Ninja Gaiden II, Zelda II, and Dragon Warrior (box all contents except cart, traded it for the boxed Ninja Gaiden II many years ago), and Zelda III. They are all in pretty good shape, but I realized wear and compression could mess them up. I don't collect boxed cardboard games, but since I'm the original (or near original) owner of these and I like to keep things in good condition, I should get some box protectors.

I mentioned Zelda III above, I bought it the first day it was available from Toys 'R Us, and all the contents are mint, map and unopened hint book. I guess being a meticulous kid paid off!