Thread: F-Zero GX Tournaments (Crazy update!!!)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default F-Zero GX Tournaments (Crazy update!!!)

Anyone participate in one of these today? They were held at most Gamestops and Game Crazy stores, and maybe some other places I am not aware of.

Since I am an employee, I couldn't compete at my Gamestop, so I went to a nearby Game Crazy to participate. I love F-Zero, and I even went and imported F-Zero GX a couple of weeks ago, despite the fact that the local US version is out on August 27th. I knew about the tournament, so I practiced up and brough my "A" game, (that's so cheesy, sorry)and I planned on being inconspicuous, so no one knew I worked at Gamestop.

So about 15 people particpated in the one I was at, and one person recognized me and a co-worker of mine, who came to compete as well. "Hey, these two guys work at Gamestop! They've had the demo for a week now! They've been practicing!" That pissed everyone off, no one moreso than the manager of the store.

Game Crazy did not get their demo and prizes until today. Most other places, like where I work, got their stuff early to mid last week. It's not my fault Nintendo dropped the ball.

After all of the initial fuss died down, I was set to go. Each racer got three races, which consisted of 3 laps. Lowest total time of the 3 runs was posted. I had seen that many of the players were scoring times of 1'20" or above. Some had scored in the 1'16"-1'18" range. I came in and posted a 1'12" time. That really made everyone mad. After everything was over, I ended up taking the contest, much to the disgust of everyone else.

The manager made a huge scene out of this, telling people they weren't going to get a prize because I CHEATED. The manager was very unprofessional, swearing at me and telling me I would never participate in another tournament ever again.

Anyway, here's what I got:

An F-Zero GX hat, T-Shirt, Memory Card 251, and little lapel pin with memory card stickers. And surprisingly, the demo disc the game is on!

RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, nice job. I finished 2nd place at the Game Crazy one, to one of the employees but I didn't complain because they give me free stuff all the time.

I had the goddamn thing won. 1:11:34 on the first run, 1:13:43 on the second run, and on the final run I was absolutely hauling ass and using my booster without fear or mercy until I had no life left, then I crashed into a wall and died. Oh well, you ride her till she bucks you or you don't ride at all.

Nice score on the prizes though. I'll trade you a complete version 10 and version 11 all of it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

So hows the game?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How's the game? Let me put it this way: After playing it, it makes F-Zero X for the N64 seem so slow that it's not fun to play anymore. 80 FPS... simply stunning.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Man, I want it so bad...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    How's the game? Let me put it this way: After playing it, it makes F-Zero X for the N64 seem so slow that it's not fun to play anymore. 80 FPS... simply stunning.
    Agreed. The best game I've played this year. So incredibly fast and gorgeous. They'll have a tough time topping this one.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Was'nt the development of this new F-Zero game done jointly by Sega and Namco?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

F-Zero GX, the Gamecube version, was developed jointly by Nintendo and Sega's Amusement Vision. AV was responsible for Super Monkey Ball.

F-Zero AX, the arcade version, utilizes the Triforce harware, a joint venture by Namco, Sega, and Nintendo. The game itself was still developed by Nintendo and AV.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

An arcade game? It's a port of a arcade game? I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about a arcade game. Was it one of those Japan only things again?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I went to the one I used to work at and played against 4 guys. Showed last place. Still got a shirt and the pin set though

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

What was not mentioned in this lovely story, was the fact that due to Oobgarm and "another co-worker" going over to Game Crazy to compete, I was lefted at the "Gamestop hell" with annoying limping boy (aka assistant manager) and a shit load of trade ins. Also, because the "other employee" stayed gone for about an hour and a half, I couldn't take a break and drive over there to compete. BLAH!!!!!!!!!

So in the end, I was the one cheated....outta a chance to win and more importantly my sanity.
    RIP Kamino. 1984-2010. Yes, yes I do like nes...

<+skaar> Maybe you should ask yourself "What is it about me that makes men not want to let me penetrate them?"

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/review.php?pl...c&game=FZeroGX

Was this on the first course btw? What craft were available? I can manage 1'03"00 or roundabouts on Mute City I, but I know people who've just gone under the minute mark. Pity none of us were in a position to take part :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Tune
    What was not mentioned in this lovely story, was the fact that due to Oobgarm and "another co-worker" going over to Game Crazy to compete, I was lefted at the "Gamestop hell" with annoying limping boy (aka assistant manager) and a shit load of trade ins. Also, because the "other employee" stayed gone for about an hour and a half, I couldn't take a break and drive over there to compete. BLAH!!!!!!!!!

So in the end, I was the one cheated....outta a chance to win and more importantly my sanity.
    You wouldn't have won, or even come close, anyway. :P

Sunday was nothing compared to Friday or Saturday, when the store was rife with trade in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Was this on the first course btw? What craft were available? I can manage 1'03"00 or roundabouts on Mute City I, but I know people who've just gone under the minute mark. Pity none of us were in a position to take part.
    The demo plays on Mute City I (twist road). No car selection is available, nor is the accel/max speed slider. The game jumps right into the race, with the player controlling the Blue Falcon. The accel settings seem to be at the default center, since the car is a bit loose in the turns. Traffic is also present.

I can score fairly low times with the max speed slider all the up, and by using the Fire Stingray, but 1'12" is the best I can do given the demo's defaults. Not to mention the fact that I really haven't spent an excessive amount of time with the demo-I bought the import after playing the demo TWICE-so all my playtime has been devoted to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    You wouldn't have won, or even come close, anyway. :P

Sunday was nothing compared to Friday or Saturday, when the store was rife with trade in.
    You know what? You suck!!!!

If I was there I prolly would have suggested the mob of Game Craaazy employees kickin' your ass. So nah! Besides, I serious doubt the kid would have recongized me.
    RIP Kamino. 1984-2010. Yes, yes I do like nes...

<+skaar> Maybe you should ask yourself "What is it about me that makes men not want to let me penetrate them?"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since the gamestop here didn't hold the tournament, they just called me in and gave me everything. EVERYTHING... Hat, Shirt, 251 Memory Card, all the pins, and the never opened Kiosk Disc version 12. Hell, they even gave me the box it all came in to carry it home with. It even had a whole stack of little stick-em "come to the tournament" type flyers with it. Nice nice nice nice. Total cost to me: I bought them Mister Misties from Dairy Queen for being such nice guys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default Re: F-Zero GX Tournaments today

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    The manager made a huge scene out of this, telling people they weren't going to get a prize because I CHEATED. The manager was very unprofessional, swearing at me and telling me I would never participate in another tournament ever again.
    Wow, did I have an interesting day at work yesterday because of this.

Since the manager was so incredibly unhappy with me, he contacted his District Manager, and told him "In front of a bunch of 8-year old kids, he told everyone to F--k off, spit on people, and balled up the grand prize and threw it back in the manager's face." So, in retaliation, their DM comes into our store, places Game Crazy literature INSIDE OF OUR DISPLAY PRODUCTS, puts brochures on all of the cars in the parking lot, and proceeds to bad mouth me in front of the whole store. The DM was totally unaware that I was, in fact, the evil employee that won their tournament. I made him aware of this, and was pretty much blown off. :/ We sent out an employee to take the flyers back off the cars, but they followed right behind him, putting them back on. It went on for a good hour or so.

I then called the manager myself, and proceeded to tell him that I did not appreciate being slandered. He told me that he was angry since I had practiced before the tourney, so I told him it wasn't like I was the only person to have played the game before hand. I just happen to be a bit more resourceful than others. I then confronted him about what he had said about me, to which he said nothing. Then, he quickly denied all involvement, and said "I'm gonna put the receiver down and go back to work" and promptly hung up. He knew I had his ass right there.

So it looks like we have the beginnings of a Gamestop/Game Crazy war here.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's a game crazy? We have many EB's and Gamestops/FuncoLands in this area, but no Game Crazy... Do they have good Deals? What do they carry?
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Game Crazy=Hollywood Video game store. Always found inside/next to a Hollywood Video.

Started up by the guy who originally started Funcoland, and bears an eerie similarity to the old Funco that people disliked--cleaners for one year warranties are back!!

Selection is fair at best, depending on where you go, and how long they've been open. Prices are exactly the same as everyone else or higher. About 95% of their used stock is Hollywood's previous rental titles, so they usually come with no case, manual, etc. I will say that I have gotten a few decent deals myself, but nothing overwhelmingly cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's time to have an old fashioned rumble in the parking lot. I'm thinking a kind of West Side Story thing, but instead of chains, I recommend Xbox controllers, for maximum pain infliction....
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    It's time to have an old fashioned rumble in the parking lot. I'm thinking a kind of West Side Story thing, but instead of chains, I recommend Xbox controllers, for maximum pain infliction....
    As long as there's no singing or dancing involved...

I think those good old Xbox "canned ham" controllers would cause some pain. We could even throw Wavebirds from a distance, like grenades or something.