Thread: Do Game Boy cartridge casings discolor over time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Do Game Boy cartridge casings discolor over time?

Pulled my collection out today for the first time in a year or more and noticed that several of my used cartridges are starting to look pretty awful besides the labels that still look pristine.

All my new games look fine, but since I didn't start buying Game Boy games until about 1996 or so, I guess that makes sense where as something like my used Super Mario Land cartridge might date back to 1989.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-02-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Pulled my collection out today for the first time in a year or more and noticed that several of my used cartridges are starting to look pretty awful besides the labels that still look pristine.

All my new games look fine, but since I didn't start buying Game Boy games until about 1996 or so, I guess that makes sense where as something like my used Super Mario Land cartridge might date back to 1989.
    Short answer, yes. Longer answer, if we look at the long-term viability of some of the older systems now (see all the discolored SNES/SFC systems? yeesh) but at the same time major discoloring to things like the NES is much more obscure when compared to SNES. So my best guess is everyone has a different "recipe" for plastic and that some of them just weren't meant to live forever. Some types of plastic or products seem to be cracking/breaking or discoloring over time while others aren't effected at all. So yes I have seen lots of GB games discoloring in the same manner as SNES/SFC. I'm guessing just like the rest of them there won't be much we can do to prevent it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ditto, I have a bunch of games and they do. It's just something a collector has to deal with. You can retro-brite them, but it only works for a short time.
    Currently looking to trade for Magical Chase any version, and especially Dynastic Hero USA version. I have Samurai Shodown V Special MVS, lots of other MVS titles, and tons of games. Check out my profile over at http://gametz.com/user/greedostick.html if you are looking to get rid of one.