Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How are you feeling about the Wii U future

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    The only thing left for it is the next zelda. Looks like we wont get a metroid this gen and all the big nintendo franchise are already out (well almost considering ssb is due for november).
    Star Fox?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

While they've sure tried, I don't think that's a big Nintendo franchise. Other than two hits out of the gate with the youngest fast approaching its 20th anniversary, that franchise has gone no where.

I hope they hit a home run, but nothing I saw from the early stages of it impressed me.

And Kirby still hasn't made an appearance and may never. All the Wii U has on the horizon is Rainbow Curse, a sequel to Canvas Curse. It's entirely possible that the Wii U may never get an original Kirby platformer.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-12-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yuck to the canvas curse style of play. I think they'll do a real kirby in the same way they did it on Wii, well beyond its prime as a space filling gimme so the few who still buy and care for the thing have something to do. I think it's a bit harsh coming down on the 3DS that hard, there have been good games this year, even if some were sequels like Curtain Call.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Even if it appealed to me, I really don't want to buy a Wii U game that keeps me staring at the gamepad screen. Leave the touch screen oriented stuff to the handheld.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I think it's a bit harsh coming down on the 3DS that hard, there have been good games this year, even if some were sequels like Curtain Call.
    Nothing for me, unfortunately. But Afterburner II, Outrun, Fantasy Zone, Thunder Blade, and Fantasy Zone II could sure swing things around if Sega comes through again this December.

But even if I found a few of these more interesting (Like Super Smash Brothers, undoubtedly the most successful 3DS release of the year), it has been a pretty dry year for Nintendo's handheld. And judging by E3, that's going to continue into next year and likely will be even worse as the 3DS ages and the New 3DS (And the eventual full replacement) distracts Nintendo.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-12-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Kirby games on consoles have a long standing tendency to come out a year or two before the end of a system's life. I would guess 2016 for an original Kirby if any.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Too bad that this is passing the Wii U over.

While I can understand it with many a AAA big-name release, the Wii U would've provided a nice home for this Micro Machines inspired Codemasters release. It's a casual pick up and play style of game, ideal for multiplayer, inspires a lot of nostalgia, and is a modestly priced download. All and all, a good fit for the Wii U.

I assume F1 Race Stars, a solid Mario Kart clone, probably didn't meet their expectations on the Wii U. But holding it back over a year, long after its release on the competition and with Mario Kart 8's release looming, sealed its fate more than anything.

Wish they had given it a 2nd try.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-14-2014 at 04:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That actually looks kind of fun and I'm not even into racing games much these days. I don't get skipping the WiiU on that, especially as a nonphysical release as it would be quite at home there too I agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A Zelda U delay has, for all intents and purposes, been confirmed by its producer by stating that releasing it in 2015 is no longer the priority. They wouldn't be leaving the door open for it slipping to 2016 if there wasn't the best of chances that they're going to need that extra time.

Happily, my Wii and Wii U backlog remains substantial so it's only to my benefit. But stinks for many fans and Nintendo themselves. Zelda will again all but certainly be their console's swan song for the third generation in a row. Twilight Princess was at the end of the GameCube's life cycle (Ported to the Wii for its launch, but a GCN title at its heart), Skyward Sword was Nintendo's last major in-house project for the Wii, and now this.

And not only will Zelda again not do much to grow the Wii U by being such a late arrival, but they're faced without anything that appears to be a major AAA 1st party release in the current slate of announced titles for the Wii U. Just smaller, more modest projects like Mario Maker are due this year at this time compared to titles like Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Brothers last year.

Hopefully they put their full marketing muscle behind Xenoblade Chronicles X, instead of treating it as the red headed stepchild like they did the first time.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Zelda will again all but certainly be their console's swan song for the third generation in a row. Twilight Princess was at the end of the GameCube's life cycle (Ported to the Wii for its launch, but a GCN title at its heart), Skyward Sword was Nintendo's last major in-house project for the Wii, and now this.
    You're forgetting that the Gamecube also had Wind Waker which came out less than 2 years from the launch of the console, followed by Four Swords Adventures. Twilight Princess was more of a bonus in getting another Zelda game on the console before it was replaced. There should be a new Zelda game already available for the Wii U.

It's hard to believe that the Wii U has been out since 2012 as it feels like it just became available, at least it feels that way as I'm still waiting for news on a big type of release. It feels like nothing important has come out yet. It does have a Zelda game if you count Wind Waker HD, I don't as it's just a re-release of a previous game. I didn't count the re-release games on the Gamecube either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I didn't forget about Wind Waker, but the GameCube's 2nd and final release was Twilight Princess and it came at a time when the GCN wasn't even in production any longer.

Four Swords Adventures, Link's Crossbow Training, Wind Waker HD, Virtual Console releases, the Wii port of Twilight Princess, and the two GCN compilations aren't the same thing. We're talking about major, new, 3D console entries on the system they were built for. Not games like the level based, multiplayer oriented, Four Swords Adventures.

Including Zelda U which likely will appear in the Wii U's final year of much of anything happening with it, the last three main console Zelda's in a row will have all released extremely late in the lifespan of the system that they were released on.

Surely not something that thrills Nintendo.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-27-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Nintendo really wants Splatoon to be a thing. I think it honestly might be, but I'm not sure if a new IP can be a system seller.

I really, really hope that Nintendo doesn't pull a Sega and not have an actual Mario game on the Wii U and just have barely a Zelda game. Even the GameCube eventually got two. I mean they already said that in 2016 they'd show off successors to both the 3DS and Wii U. I can't imagine what the rest of the 2015 lineup looks like for them. Even the 3DS doesn't have much coming up for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What sort of Mario game? It's already well stocked with platformers (Two 2D platformers with a 3rd on the way, and Super Mario 3D World for a 3D platformer), it has Mario Kart 8, Mario Party 10, etc.

Other than a RPG and some sports games like Mario Golf, it's already represented here.

That said, I'd love another 3D platformer, just like the Wii received to the surprise of many.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-30-2015 at 05:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The Wii had two Mario Galaxy games and a bunch of other quality platformers. I miss that on Wii U.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Nintendo's Project Cafe seemed to have a great deal of promise when rumors were leaking in spring 2011. An HD Nintendo console supposedly based on AMD's Radeon HD 4870 / 4850 graphics from 2008. Wide third party support including the then still future GTA 5. Screen built into the controller.

But when Nintendo revealed Wii U at E3 that year, it felt like it was doomed from the start.

While Nintendo doesn't sell hardware based on high-end specs, but rather, the strength, quality and appeal of its games, it certainly didn't help matters that Wii U was actually weaker than Xbox 360 and PS3. Even though Wii U had more RAM for games (1 GB vs 512 MB) and a more modern GPU (newer feature set), the performance was still lower (turned out Wii U GPU is based on one of the low-end Radeon 4000 series, not the mid to higher end GPU in that family, and customized with EDRAM) had less memory bandwidth than Xbox 360, and a slower, weaker CPU in comparison to both 360 and PS3.

Right now, as of early 2015, Nintendo has sold around 9.2 ~ 10 million consoles worldwide. That's about the same number that Dreamcast sold in its short life. Wii U is tracking about the same as Dreamcast and far below GameCube which was Nintendo's previous worst-selling home console.

To be clear, it's not hardware where Nintendo went so wrong ( even though it didn't help ) it was Nintendo's horrible, confusing messaging regarding Wii U (so many people thought it was a new controller for the Wii they already owned) and the pricing. $300 / $350 at launch. Nearly 2.5 years later, it's still $300.

As of today, Wii U does not have much of a future, outside of big 1st party games. The announcement of Project NX has nearly sealed Wii U's fate.
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 03-28-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxscroll View Post
    As of today, Wii U does not have much of a future, outside of big 1st party games.
    I'd sadly argue that it doesn't even have much of a one there.

Other than Zelda U, it seems likely to have received all of its big 1st party releases. Left are some quality, smaller scale projects and non traditional stuff like Xenoblade Chronicles X. The big mainstream stuff seems all but done.

Doesn't even seem as if Animal Crossing is going to make a showing, one of their newest and biggest franchises. I would imagine that if it doesn't get announced by the time that E3 has came and went, it's safe to assume that this is the first console to not receive an entry in this franchise since it started.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-28-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sadly well said parallax. I want to say I'm sorry I ever bought it, but the dozen games I had for it I did get some fun out of for a time. I would have been happier had I got it on some slick deal like how I fanagled a brand new PS4 for $300, then down to $200 after selling off pack-in fluff I didn't want. I just wish they'd have listened to developers as it would be a fairly different experience than we got.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Nintendo is basically screwed with Western developers on their systems. Even when companies shamelessly rip off Nintendo's ideas they go onto other systems and then complain about how backward Nintendo is.

The complaining from the same people that Nintendo is making mobile games is maddening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's 100% pure bitchin for the sake of bitchin. Nintendo at this rate other from non-biased analysts (few and far between) and straight Nintendo buyers/supporters you'll never get an honest assessment. It's far easier (ie lazier) to rip on them to point out what works, let alone call people on their crap when they rub against them then make a pure ripoff of a game and talk it up on their hardware. It passed being boring some years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think only recently have people realized that yes, apparently you can support your system with only first-party releases if you have the most recognizable names in the industry. It used to make them mad that Nintendo sold at all, even if they did/do lag behind everyone else.

To be fair this is a pretty bad "generation" that's colored mostly by Sony and Microsoft refusing to cut the umbilical cord of last gen. It's harder to push jumping from PS3/360 to PS4/One than it was PS2/Xbox to PS3/360. Maybe because there's no significant technical selling point/gimmick. But as long as triple AAA games are on systems you already own, why buy a new one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I think only recently have people realized that yes, apparently you can support your system with only first-party releases if you have the most recognizable names in the industry. It used to make them mad that Nintendo sold at all, even if they did/do lag behind everyone else.

To be fair this is a pretty bad "generation" that's colored mostly by Sony and Microsoft refusing to cut the umbilical cord of last gen. It's harder to push jumping from PS3/360 to PS4/One than it was PS2/Xbox to PS3/360. Maybe because there's no significant technical selling point/gimmick. But as long as triple AAA games are on systems you already own, why buy a new one?
    Social Status. Lots of people want to keep up with the Joneses.