Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: How are you feeling about the Wii U future

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've got to give them props for not abandoning people without a New 3DSXL by releasing that Amiibo adapter. I also do enjoy that they are branching out with Amiibos via yarn Amiibo and just cards. I wish they would have announced another New 3DSXL only title, would have made the purchase seem like more than just a faster normal 3DS if I had more than a port from last gen...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

With Xenoblade Chronicles releasing now, I can't say as I blame them. The New 3DS was never going to be awash with exclusives, so they may as well let that ported RPG have all the attention that it can get.

I would expect that the next release, likely another port, will be announced at E3 for the upcoming Christmas season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

E3 they'll have stuff, definitely. I just hope it gets more than 4 retail releases like DSi did as it did that system no favors. I don't expect GBC volume but something admirable would be nice. OR at the last like with the DSi games that had full enhanced FPS, visuals, audio etc you never knew existed without the internet, they could do that and put an icon on the box so New3DS people know they'll get a bit extra.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would expect the NX to launch November 2016. I think 2017 is too dang late.

We're still 8 months away from mid November 2015, and 20 months away from November 2016. 20 months is a long time...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Long post ahead about what I've learned so far about the addition of Nintendo DS software to the Wii U Virtual Console...

First, here's a good video demonstrating the low resolution that it's rendered in, which looks just like the native side of that screenshot comparison posted above.

Now here is how Mario Kart DS looks when rendered in HD by a homebrew PC emulator, looking very reminscent of the right hand side of the comparison above with native mode.

Sadly, issues go past just that with the addition of DS titles.

First, there are no button remapping options with the DS emulator, unlike what we've came to expect. There's also no support for anything except the Wii U gamepad, regardless if the game didn't utilize the touch screen of the DS like Yoshi's Island DS.

Secondly, there's no proper single screen support for Yoshi's Island DS. The best you can apparently do is what's shown in the early seconds of the video below, prior to the uploader apparently zooming in with video editing software to maximize the size of the picture.

So unless your HDTV has a zoom feature for HD sources that can correct this like he did with his video a few seconds in, people may want to think twice before buying Yoshi's Island DS since it's going to be a very small picture on many tv's.

Last edited by Leo_A; 04-14-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Getting away from DS emulation, this shot would seem to confirm that we can string multiple levels together to form our own games in Mario Maker.

Still the question though if we can distribute entire games online, or just single levels.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-03-2015 at 02:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Deep into the late stages of Super Mario 3D World, and now a return of a past hardware issue with it.

Last night, my Wii U gamepad failed to power on my console and displayed the error message that I did a bit of complaining about on here before. Following the instructions sadly doesn't work, with the only way to turn the system on after this displays being the console's power button or Wiimote. Last time, the problem was very intermittent at first and progressed over a few months to a point where the console never responded to the gamepad's power button (Except when turning the system off, which always worked 100%).

I wonder if it's worth sending it in to Nintendo again. I believe my warranty is still valid (I think my past repair added another 12 months to the existing and now expired original coverage), It was only six months old when this started the first time, and it's barely been that long since it was sent in for lengthy (And rather sloppily handled on their part) repairs for this issue the last time.

Might be easier just to pretend that the gamepad doesn't have a power button...

What would you guys do? Live with it and hope it doesn't become something more serious, or see if they finally can make a lasting fix?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-09-2015 at 05:01 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I wonder if it's worth sending it in to Nintendo again. I believe my warranty is still valid (I think my past repair added another 12 months to the existing and now expired original coverage), It was only six months old when this started the first time, and it's barely been that long since it was sent in for lengthy (And rather sloppily handled on their part) repairs for this issue the last time.

Might be easier just to pretend that the gamepad doesn't have a power button...

What would you guys do? Live with it and hope it doesn't become something more serious, or see if they finally can make a lasting fix?
    Personally I would send it back if it's still under warranty. Of course, after getting it taken care of I would dump the console off before it self destructs. Having the same problem happen more than once is something I wouldn't put up with. I would wait for a system redesign which eventually will happen as it's standard for Nintendo. I try to avoid DS Lites now because I've had several develop problems after I bought them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Do you guys think Splatoon will be a system seller?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Leo fix it, then dump it and get another. There's likely an underlying issue they won't fully test for (as usual with free warranty work to keep costs down) and just pop out whatever part/parts are causing the issue and hope for the best. I had a chrysler a decade ago that had an issue clearly with the expensive main computer board, instead they kept swapping out the $5 to $few hundred dollar parts or part clusters instead of the thousands of dollars computer itself. It caused me a dozen repair tickets over like 2 years, so once I got it stable I pushed it off on Carmax and got a VW.

At some point you got to realize you'll be fighting a repeated headache. Save the trouble, repair it, then sell it to a new buyer as 'with new warranty' which will help boost confidence. Maybe it'll actually be fixed? Maybe not, but it'll have the warranty.

...and no I don't think splatoon is a system seller, at least on a large scale. I'm sure it'll help have a good burst of short term sales going up but it's no Mario, Zelda, Kart or Smash game. You want to see a WiiU system seller, fire the jerks at Nintendo who repeatedly block having a full blown Pokemon RPG on a home system. You add that to the WiiU combined with the fact they have their easy internet setup and no network fees, it'll move systems like crack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This isn't the same console, though. Only the gamepad's serial number matched what I sent in, when it returned. Plus, the SD slot door opens much easier than with my original, so they didn't just give it a new serial number for some reason. DLC has me tied to sticking with this anyways. Too heavily invested in the Virtual Console just to abandon it after almost eight years. So the question is purely if it's worthwhile to see if they really can resolve this issue.

And no, I don't think Splatoon will be a system seller. I don't think this one will be nearly as big of a deal as Nintendo is acting like it will be, although I commend them for trying something original. Hopefully it works for them though, and I'm just letting my disinterest cloud my opinion about its appeal.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-10-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    AgentKaypar
    3DS Friend
    2509-5742-9223
    Steam
    agentkaypar

I'm really, really excited for Splatoon! I got to try it in the recent "Global Testfire", which I think was more a server stress test than a proper demo, but for the hour that I got to play, I had a lot of fun. I want it even more, now! I haven't been this excited for a game in ages. Something about the art style and the theme just kinda grabs me.

That said, I have to agree that it probably won't be a system seller. The introduction of a competitive shooter might broaden the demographic a little and attract more buyers, if that particular demographic wasn't already plenty happy with what the other current platforms have to offer in the same genre.

Personally, I still haven't picked up either the PS4 or the XBox One. I could afford to, but there hasn't been a title out yet that really sells either console for me. I'm pretty happy with what the Wii U has to offer, so far.
    If the NX is really Nintendo's plan to phase out the Wii U soon, though, that kinda bums me out. It's been just a few years since the console came out. That's less time than what separated the GameCube and the Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    This isn't the same console, though. Only the gamepad's serial number matched what I sent in, when it returned. Plus, the SD slot door opens much easier than with my original, so they didn't just give it a new serial number for some reason. DLC has me tied to sticking with this anyways. Too heavily invested in the Virtual Console just to abandon it after almost eight years. So the question is purely if it's worthwhile to see if they really can resolve this issue.

And no, I don't think Splatoon will be a system seller. I don't think this one will be nearly as big of a deal as Nintendo is acting like it will be, although I commend them for trying something original. Hopefully it works for them though, and I'm just letting my disinterest cloud my opinion about its appeal.
    When mine decided to implode from the huge update last year and they did an out of warranty free repair they swapped out the systems itself with a refurb shell(with some light scratches...grr) and new guts on the inside and gave it a 1yr warranty so that's surely what they did for you. It's cheaper and faster than having to diagnostic check and poke away at the entire system to figure it out and repair it. Lazy but effective.

Kaypar if the NX comes at a time we think it should be from them announcing it by name only now, it would give the WiiU a 5 year life, the same as the N64 and Gamecube had before being replaced. Odds are like N64 the support will dry up first though and probably dual-release or move Zelda to NX.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I kind of forgot that the Wii U even existed. So much of my game purchasing happens through Steam these days that I never go to stores and see the displays. If, as someone suggested, Nintendo is trying to court indie developers, then they're not doing anywhere near as good a job as Valve Software is.

The Wii really did allow one to play games in a new way. The Wii U is an incremental improvement, and doesn't bring anything that new to the table, in my view. To top it off, Nintendo really isn't releasing new games and franchises, or doing a lot of new things with its old franchises. As has already been pointed out, very few of the big players are really moving the ball forward. Why buy the umpteenth iteration of a platformer, when it's still just running and jumping? At one point, gaming had a lot of fresh ideas, but those have been tapped.

If anyone's really doing new things in gaming, it's the indie devs - even though a lot of those are just perfecting a genre, not inventing new ones. Maybe VR will change some of this, and maybe not. One thing's for sure...the games on the Wii U, in my view, simply aren't worth the $200+ price of admission. Even Pokemon, which I used to love, is getting too long in the tooth. That whole series desperately needs a reboot that culls the number of characters (some of which are entirely redundant), puts the entire experience in one or two games (HGSS is still unsurpassed for that awesome "go over the mountains and reach the world of the first game"), gives up the stupid "sell two versions of every game," and gets rid of the promo Pokemon. I used to buy Nintendo systems just to buy Pokemon games; now, I don't think I could ever get back into them until they clean things up.
    Last edited by calthaer; 05-11-2015 at 02:58 PM.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I know I'm a broken record with this and it might be an exaggeration, but a lot of indie these days isn't any more creative than what you'd get from a "AAA" studio. In fact, a lot of the times they're just "homages" to AAA studio stuff. Think about how many indie games are "retro-styled"/Metroidvanias/platformers. It seems like the supposed fountain of creativity indies promised us never came to fruition, it just birthed a lot of lazy devs who use nostalgia another company made to sell a game that takes less effort. It just amuses me when people bemoan Nintendo but praise indies in the same sentence. For every Minecraft or Five Nights at Freddy's you get 500 "Totally Not Metroid/Zelda/Marios."