Thread: How are you feeling about the Wii U future

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

If I could only have one console this generation it wouldn't be the Wii U because of the lack of games. With that said and as someone who owns all three current generation consoles I love the Wii U for the Nintendo 1st party games. No matter how old I get I will always be a fan of the Mario games (and the two for the Wii U are amazing!), Zelda (Obviously), and Mario Kart. I also like having a console that appeals to a younger generation so when my brothers' kids come over there is something they can play and both enjoy and not worry about the content.

I do hope their sales pick up and the Wii U can become a major contendor but I highly doubt it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Don't you find it kind of sad you want to buy a game just to make some point to Nintendo they likely won't take notice of just in the sliver of a chance of getting more third party games they publish or third parties publish for the WiiU? I'm seriously asking that, it's not sarcasm.
    No, you're right. It's pretty sad. Considering that I still haven't finished the first Bayonetta on Xbox 360, buying a sequel to a game that I haven't beaten just to prove to Nintendo that it made a good move getting an obscure game as an exclusive does sound pretty crazy. But, the Wii U's library needs a serious shot in the arm, and buying Nintendo games seems to be the only way to prove that the system should continue to be supported. Of course, since it is an M-rated title that doesn't include the words "Call of Duty" in its name, it will sell poorly because the general public still looks at Nintendo systems as being for kids, and Bayonetta 2 isn't something that families will buy to play together.

I read somewhere recently that Ubisoft is sitting on a finished Wii U game that it isn't sure when to release because the company is playing a wait and see game to see if and when the Wii U's install base will get bigger. More than likely, that game will become multiplatform since there's no way that a game like that will just disappear forever, assuming that it's that far along.

But, compared to the other current-gen consoles, Wii U still has more games that I would want to play. I own Xbox One, and I only like Dead Rising 3 so far. If I owned a PS4, the only game I would want to own for that would be the Pinball Arcade disc. So, Wii U still wins out in my personal book.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

In my eyes nintendo fucked this up in all corners, from every angle. Today I turned my wii u on for the first time in like a month which isn't so crazy until you consider that my wii u is. Barely 2 months old and I dload a demo of wonderful 101, Only THEN to realize that for some fucking reason I can't even fathom, that theres a goddamn limit on how many times I can play the game before it locks me out. I'm fucking speechless.

WHY-IN-THE-FUCK Would nintendo think this was a good idea! Is there some Harvard study showing people don't buy games when they can get the same exact experience from playing a 10 minute demo over and over again until the end of time?

I also just realized that the wii u came with its own pseudo sequel to wii u sports preinstalled and it even had online support, I was having a fucking blast thinking to myself, why doesn't nintendo advertise this, this is incredible, another pack in game one that could probably move some units....and then I saw why I had never heard of it. Because this to was also a glorified demo with a limited amount of tries before im again locked out and have to buy it.

For the record. Wii sports was fun and wii u is equally as fun but let's be serious, neither one are worth more than 5 dollars when you consider what 50 or 60 dollars can get you on other platforms. Everytime I turn this piece of shit on I find another reason to hate it and justify why I never play it, the friends list is a mess, the gamepad range is shit, no hdmi cec protocol which is crazy because even my 360 and PS3 have this standard, limited demo tries, the price of nintendo games never coming down even years after release, no third party support, barely any first party support, wii backwards compatibility isn't a 1 to 1 conversion, graphics are somehow worse, Jaggies everywhere, they still treat online like a joke but at least it's free, they squandered their first year lead and did nothing, the battery on the gamepad sucks, list goes on and on.

The wii u in better hands has so much potential, but nintendo is still operating like its the 90s and their monopoly is still intact so they can do whatever they want like we don't have options, if nintendo fucks up their next system I don't know what they're going to do
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    In my eyes nintendo fucked this up in all corners, from every angle. Today I turned my wii u on for the first time in like a month which isn't so crazy until you consider that my wii u is. Barely 2 months old and I dload a demo of wonderful 101, Only THEN to realize that for some fucking reason I can't even fathom, that theres a goddamn limit on how many times I can play the game before it locks me out. I'm fucking speechless.

WHY-IN-THE-FUCK Would nintendo think this was a good idea! Is there some Harvard study showing people don't buy games when they can get the same exact experience from playing a 10 minute demo over and over again until the end of time?

I also just realized that the wii u came with its own pseudo sequel to wii u sports preinstalled and it even had online support, I was having a fucking blast thinking to myself, why doesn't nintendo advertise this, this is incredible, another pack in game one that could probably move some units....and then I saw why I had never heard of it. Because this to was also a glorified demo with a limited amount of tries before im again locked out and have to buy it.

For the record. Wii sports was fun and wii u is equally as fun but let's be serious, neither one are worth more than 5 dollars when you consider what 50 or 60 dollars can get you on other platforms. Everytime I turn this piece of shit on I find another reason to hate it and justify why I never play it, the friends list is a mess, the gamepad range is shit, no hdmi cec protocol which is crazy because even my 360 and PS3 have this standard, limited demo tries, the price of nintendo games never coming down even years after release, no third party support, barely any first party support, wii backwards compatibility isn't a 1 to 1 conversion, graphics are somehow worse, Jaggies everywhere, they still treat online like a joke but at least it's free, they squandered their first year lead and did nothing, the battery on the gamepad sucks, list goes on and on.

The wii u in better hands has so much potential, but nintendo is still operating like its the 90s and their monopoly is still intact so they can do whatever they want like we don't have options, if nintendo fucks up their next system I don't know what they're going to do
    Wii U Sports Club was just released as a full retail game for $39.99, so they're probably trying to steer people towards that. I think you can buy each sport for $9.99 separately, but it's crazy that they thought that re-releasing a game that pretty much everybody owns or has owned at this point was a good idea.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    Wii U Sports Club was just released as a full retail game for $39.99, so they're probably trying to steer people towards that. I think you can buy each sport for $9.99 separately, but it's crazy that they thought that re-releasing a game that pretty much everybody owns or has owned at this point was a good idea.
    Exactly, it's fun and if they had marketed it same as they did the original wii sports I could have seen the wii u maybe moving an extra 1 or 2 hundred thousand units if it was a pack in game. Yeah you can buy each game for 10 dollars but that price is still insane considering we all basically already played this game already on the wii. Whoever is running that company is delusional.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Laughing you're preaching to the choir man, and funny coincidence I hadn't turned mine on for a couple months or so too and even then that last play was with another gap in time before that too. The sick thing, the one time I do turn it on, it bricks itself partially (the system 'wrench' menu) so it had to go in for repair. I just got an email earlier today saying it was now back to me which is pretty fast as they got it end of day Friday and put it out today and it's USPS (was UPS label on them outgoing.) I'm sure they probably just flashed whatever, doubt my data is gone but the sad sad sad thing is, if it is I actually wouldn't get upset about it despite the fact I really should.

Nintendo with the WiiU blew it in many ways as you put it speechless and delusional to their handling and that's both public and private. Internally they were awarded third party support on a silver platter had they gone with hardware on the level of the other two and they gave the industry the bird and said do tablet controller games or suck it...and they gave em the finger back and consistently still do by the week. Then you have the asinine naming and branding matching the Wii with a U on it confusing the shit out of most people including retail where I bumped into enough people trying to call it an addon tablet for WII! Combo all that greatness with running absolutely no advertising at all other than last Christmas season to then pull it right after the new year and it was setup to die the death of a thousand ignorant red tape papercuts.

On the bright side if you're a fan of digital long term rental software, they probably have the most interesting set of indie game titles going for them on the eshop. Which again is another failure, they do not advertise it or the virtual console at all which would be their most easiest source of cheap mass revenue since no physical media or packaging/shipping is involved there either. That plays into that Wii Sports HD rehash as I bet you're right it would lure in some people just as it did before, but again you know, they don't advertise.

I hope when I get it back in a few more days they at least put the new firmware on there since my luck caused it to brick out the first time. Honestly I really do want to make some time and start using it again as I really should put some time on the stuff I left unfinished.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mine was gone about three weeks and just got back. Not too impressive for a variety of reasons (I didn't even get a tracking number at my repair status page until after it had arrived, for instance), although hopefully it's fixed (Haven't had a chance to test it or even open the box).

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here in NZ, retailers have stopped advertising for it several months ago both on TV and in flyers etc.

Not even sure if the major stores still stock it anymore after all the discounting a while ago, getting rid of stock.

What a shame! I encourage competition.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow 3 weeks is terrible.

Mine shows that the USPS picked it up 20min ago from the repair center so I'm guessing Mon/Tues of next week.

Haoie, that's pathetic. To think if theyd advertise they'd have a few less problems but it seems like they've given up down there retail and all which is a bad sign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Laughing you're preaching to the choir man, and funny coincidence I hadn't turned mine on for a couple months or so too and even then that last play was with another gap in time before that too. The sick thing, the one time I do turn it on, it bricks itself partially (the system 'wrench' menu) so it had to go in for repair. I just got an email earlier today saying it was now back to me which is pretty fast as they got it end of day Friday and put it out today and it's USPS (was UPS label on them outgoing.) I'm sure they probably just flashed whatever, doubt my data is gone but the sad sad sad thing is, if it is I actually wouldn't get upset about it despite the fact I really should.

Nintendo with the WiiU blew it in many ways as you put it speechless and delusional to their handling and that's both public and private. Internally they were awarded third party support on a silver platter had they gone with hardware on the level of the other two and they gave the industry the bird and said do tablet controller games or suck it...and they gave em the finger back and consistently still do by the week. Then you have the asinine naming and branding matching the Wii with a U on it confusing the shit out of most people including retail where I bumped into enough people trying to call it an addon tablet for WII! Combo all that greatness with running absolutely no advertising at all other than last Christmas season to then pull it right after the new year and it was setup to die the death of a thousand ignorant red tape papercuts.

On the bright side if you're a fan of digital long term rental software, they probably have the most interesting set of indie game titles going for them on the eshop. Which again is another failure, they do not advertise it or the virtual console at all which would be their most easiest source of cheap mass revenue since no physical media or packaging/shipping is involved there either. That plays into that Wii Sports HD rehash as I bet you're right it would lure in some people just as it did before, but again you know, they don't advertise.

I hope when I get it back in a few more days they at least put the new firmware on there since my luck caused it to brick out the first time. Honestly I really do want to make some time and start using it again as I really should put some time on the stuff I left unfinished.
    No you're right, generally nothing im saying is new, it's just new to me lol

When I bought the wii u, I thought I had a firm grasp on how badly they were doing and how idiotic some of their choices have been and I accepted it. I already accepted that 3rd parties had long abandoned it and the wii u was overpriced for what it was and that their online infrastructure was still a joke, but I said fuck it, I need my mario kart fix.

What I didn't expect was limits on demo trials and the backwards compatibility to make wii games look worse. I also didn't account for nintendo first party game prices probably never going down in price which admitedly was my own fault on that one, but the first 2 are still valid in my eyes since I don't think anyone's ever really mentioned them or they've gotten drowned out in the myriad of other clusterfucks nintendo has allowed on the Wii u.

It's just sad all around because this system really should be better than the Wii for playing games, all the pieces are there, for as much shit as the Wii has gotten, it's still the system that led me to play masterpieces like no more heroes 2, mad world and silent hill origins and even trauma center. House of the dead overkill and resident evil umbrella chronicles were also exclusively theirs for a while so even if that system did eventually become a paperweight, it took a while for it to get their, my wii u didn't even last me a month before I got sick of it. Only game on the horizon that has even peaked my interest is the upcoming Starfox. Zelda is zelda, I find it hard to get excited for it anymore but I still love the franchise and will probably buy the game just to justify owning the Wii u, but after that, what's left for me?

That's why I'm upset

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I am not seeing much on the Wii U I want either going forward. Starfox is one for sure, but after that, it's all about a small handful of maybes. Xenoblade may be worth it for me, Bayonetta would be like a pity screw to buy so I doubt I will, Hyrule Warriors is out and I'm just not motivated by it, Smash I can do fine for less on 3DS since i detest online play with children, Kart is out too but overpriced for me as I'd just do 1P race so I'd buy it at 1/2 off, Project Cars I don't want on there now that I have PS4, and Captain Toad isn't a rush to buy system seller either. Zelda, the fact they're showing and saying nearly nothing other than it's the most open world game yet is a HUGE turn off to me. I have zero interest in Link running around in Skyrim like Hyrule to do whatever, that just sucks and if it's like that I'm saving my time and money not buying it. I just don't see much going forward but as it's a Nintendo system, and the new one, I feel more dirty thinking about selling it than keeping it at this point still at least. The Wii was just fucking terrible other than few shimmering gaming moments, so much so bad it turned me off I had to sell it to get it out of my sight earlier this year and I hate to think the WiiU is going that way too.

I agree the demo thing is pure crap, I hate it too so I mostly will not bother except if a demo gives the main game I know I'll buy some perks like Bravely Default on 3DS did. Timed use demos are garbage. I really didn't think the Wii games I did run looked worse on the WiiU but it wouldn't surprise me, yet I rarely used it because it was annoying as hell having to boot, then re-boot the system from the WiiU menu to play Wii stuff so I let it rot. I got mine when it came out, so I got more burned at full price, thinking they'd follow their word and blow the thing out with the level of push they did the Wii and that they'd have a nice line up of games going forward given the new/ported-remix third party stuff shown. Instead they decided they were above bothering advertising to the peasants, pissed off third parties, won't help people develop off their control freak covered eshop, and have bungled even getting the name out there so it isn't viewed as a Wii tablet addon with its own blue boxed games. The 3DS they did and have done so much right beyond the original price, and that system they do run game ads for, but the console...argh.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an overwhelming feeling of indifference toward it. I think it was poorly marketed from the start and while it has had some glimmers of brilliance such as DKC: TF and Mario Kart 8, nothing so far has really compelled me to get one. A part of it is just my changing tastes, but a part of it is also Nintendo. They're not the same company they used to be, and neither are their "fans".

It really boggles my mind how one company can screw up so much, and rather than encouraging them to do better, people only enable them to do worse. A good majority of the Wii U owners I've spoken to are ridiculously defensive and only seem to play first-party Nintendo games. It feels awkward trying to converse with them and not being able to connect on any level because they don't play anything else.

Or maybe I've only met the worst of the bunch, it's hard to tell with such a niche system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. BaconStein View Post
    I have an overwhelming feeling of indifference toward it. I think it was poorly marketed from the start and while it has had some glimmers of brilliance such as DKC: TF and Mario Kart 8, nothing so far has really compelled me to get one. A part of it is just my changing tastes, but a part of it is also Nintendo. They're not the same company they used to be, and neither are their "fans".

It really boggles my mind how one company can screw up so much, and rather than encouraging them to do better, people only enable them to do worse. A good majority of the Wii U owners I've spoken to are ridiculously defensive and only seem to play first-party Nintendo games. It feels awkward trying to converse with them and not being able to connect on any level because they don't play anything else.

Or maybe I've only met the worst of the bunch, it's hard to tell with such a niche system.
    You don't even want to know what would happen to you if you mentioned this on the wii u subreddit. That entire reddit suffers from a persecution complex, anything that isn't "hey I just bought 8 wii u's and gave them to starving Guatemalan families and we love it, fuck Sony!" Will get you immediately downvoted into oblivion.

It's one thing to love everything nintendo makes and it's another to not even acknowledge where nintendo fucked up and pretend like every move they make is flawless. It's almost like a fucking cult over there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There are forums and fanboys for every system. Nintendo might have a few more passionate, but ignorant, fans. But only because it has a much longer history than the competition has.

And an awful lot of Wii U fans love the system and love Nintendo, but also wish that it was also the place to go to play the latest and greatest 3rd party releases so that owning just a Nintendo console would be a viable choice. There's still a lot to love here, but the situation is obvious and doesn't need to constantly be front and center. Not only is the Wii U well stocked with exclusives that deserve attention, but constantly focusing on the problems simply doesn't make for very lively forum discussions.

It doesn't mean that Wii U owners, such as those around here like myself, are all oblivious to the problems or trying to minimize them. It just means that we're having fun, problems and all, and prefer to talk about what we're enjoying rather than constant doom and gloom. I personally went in with full knowledge of the situation and Nintendo has largely delivered on my expectations (Minus Fatal Frame 5 and a few more minor things).

What sense would it make to just complain? I knew about the 3rd party situation already, and frankly even if I had bought it at launch, one could see this coming from a mile away with Nintendo's past, lack of a clear direction to go in after the oddity that the Wii was, and as PS3/360 support erodes and development becomes more and more focused on the higher horsepower XB1 and PS4 where the Wii U simply can't compete due to its more modest capabilities.

Wii U was never going to be the place to be for sports, first person shooters, open world games of a variety of types, etc. So why hold it against it?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-23-2015 at 03:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Bacon well said.

Leo...I was that, the love is gone, I just don't hate them, somewhere between like and indifferent now as the 3DS is still handled well so I know they have some brain cells amonst themselves, somewhere. For what the WiiU is I love it, it should be treated much better, ideally had Nintendo not pissed off third parties it should be receiving anything the PS3 and 360 get while they still get games, and after that, whatever comes due to the base the system should have.

I think the ones who have every right to be down and complain are those like myself who bought it out of the gate or within the first 6-9 months. The writing wasn't quite yet on the wall, all the hatred and canceled projects weren't piling up. It was just the usual burst of support any new system gets followed by the development lull for the next titles, and yet those never really came other than from Nintendo. It's fair for those who ran into the brick wall to get mad, but those whining now who bought it after a year thinking it would turn around or not care thinking it would improve were just deluding themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo tottally fucked up this gen but theres much more to enjoy for me on it than the PS4. The PS4 I use sparingly.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

For me it's not so bad because it only takes one good game I want for me to buy a system. All I bought a Sega CD to play was Sonic CD. All I bought a 32X to play was Knuckles Chaotix, all I bought a Virtual Boy to play was Wario Land, and all I bought an original Xbox to play was Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee. I was later able to discover a couple other games here and there to play on each but for the most part I put most of my effort into 1 system per generation that would just see so many more purchases from me. NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, PS3 was my pattern. I haven't totally entered the new generation yet having just 3DS, Ouya and Wii U, but I can guess that eventually when I do have all the systems PS4 will be the one I start to pick up when all those RPGs start coming out. For now the Wii U and 3DS will satisfy the little bits of newness here and there that I crave while I continue to chip away at gaming from past generations until the PS4 becomes a bit more affordable.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I got my WiiU in the mail today, it's a new(refurb) they transferred only my network ID to, they didn't transfer all my save data from the old system so everything is gone. TO make it more interesting, they didn't upgrade the firmware to 5.2, so I couldn't use the system because it went into a loop on the network ID because it wouldn't let me use my password due tot hat. I had to call in, get the boot to system setup code (up dpad, L and R buttons, and start + button) all held at boot to get it to update so I could. Then I find out I can't get my stuff back because of asinine Wii mode so I had to boot it and that into the eshop on there so the other would unlock. I have a working WiiU again that's stripped bare. I guess I can replay the games I have but I don't like that my finished games of both Mario titles, Duck Tales, and COD Ghosts along with nearly finished Zelda and 1/3 of Rayman and RE are all erased.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

The only thing left for it is the next zelda. Looks like we wont get a metroid this gen and all the big nintendo franchise are already out (well almost considering ssb is due for november). Xenoblade will be great but i doubt it will have good sales number in USA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Zelda isn't really out. Sure, we have a remastering. But Wii U's original Zelda is still in the future.

Hopefully it will appear next Fall, since there's not much coming up for the Wii U that has my interest. NES Remix Pack is a sure buy and I have a slight bit of interest in Captain Toad for upcoming 2014 releases. Then, I'll likely buy Yoshi's Wholly World, Mario Maker is a sure buy as is any Mario platformer, and Fatal Frame 5 is a definite purchase if NOA actually releases it next year. But that's about it for new retail games (Mario Kart DLC is preordered, 90's Arcade Racer for next year has my attention, and I'm sure I'll grab a few more VC titles).

And hopefully they have another ambitious remastering in the works. Metroid Prime Trilogy HD would be almost as great to see as an original Metroid, for instance. That would go a long ways towards fixing their 2014 schedule where I'm concerned.

Better than the 3DS at least. Other than the hope that Sega's 2014 round of 3D Classics will be released in the West, there's nothing. Only Yoshi's Island has been worth bothering with this year, and even that paled compared to the first two.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-08-2015 at 07:05 PM.