Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Admit your guilt! Name an old game or even an old franchise you've never been able to win at

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

For me, it's the Warcraft series. I never played the first game, but I have played 2 and 3. I never beat either one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never finished Super Mario 1 or 2
    Never past the 3rd stage of Gradius
    Ocarina of time I think I got lost in the big tree at the beginning. I was already bored so I just gave up

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

whats up tanooki

anywho, castlevania. I can NOT get past frankenstiens monster to save my life. which is odd, cause i distinctly remember as a kid getting to the grim reaper, and that level especially, but for some reason I have zero recollection of stage 4, let alone beating it to get to stage 5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hey hey nice seeing another sane old face around these parts. I don't much like that stage, seem to often get beat up on that lame floating platform ride over the water more than anything, it's just cheap.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theres tonsa games I haven't beaten, or couldn't beat, but the bane of my existence is Ninja Gaiden. I've been playing it for 20 years and can't get past the level 3-2. Theres lotsa other games I haven't beaten, but that one's brutal. Ninja Gaiden 2 is tough as nails also. They're impossible, but I still always wind up plugging them in cuz they're good.

I can't get ANYwhere in Street Fighter 2010, tho. Idk wat it is, I can't get past the very first screen.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    SMB1 and SMB3. I've never finished either of them. Mario World, Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy- 100% completion on all of them, but I just can't get to the end of 1 or 3.
    SMB1? I suck at Mario games, but I did wind up committing to finishing this one. My recommendation is to make it to the last Bowser fight with a fire flower, u can blow him away. Even use the warp zones. It took me try after try tho, cuz like I said I'm terrible at Mario, the controls r good but they're just slippery and that's always worked as a disadvantage for me, for whatever reason.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theres a lotta NES games I just can't beat, but most of them I can at least get decently into them. Life Force is another game I just can't get far in. Even with the Konami code I can just barely make it to the 2nd boss. I can beat Contra on the Konami code, but not Life Force.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thunderforce 3. Seems like most people consider this game "easy". Easy my ass, I always struggle on that damn cavern stage where the walls close in on you. I can get through all the other levels except this one. The bosses are pretty easy though.

I've gotten pretty far in Blazing Lazers but haven't beat it. Another game that hardcore shooter snobs consider "too easy". Maybe I just suck at spaceship shooters and don't have the patience for the memorization and restarts required. I have beaten some other games of the genre like Gates/Lords of Thunder, Axelay, and Psychosis.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Thunderforce 3. Seems like most people consider this game "easy". Easy my ass, I always struggle on that damn cavern stage where the walls close in on you. I can get through all the other levels except this one. The bosses are pretty easy though.

I've gotten pretty far in Blazing Lazers but haven't beat it. Another game that hardcore shooter snobs consider "too easy". Maybe I just suck at spaceship shooters and don't have the patience for the memorization and restarts required. I have beaten some other games of the genre like Gates/Lords of Thunder, Axelay, and Psychosis.
    Thunderforce 3 is not a easy game as far as shooters go, at least I dont consider it easy.

Blazing Lazers is fairly easy but I wouldnt consider it 'too easy'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    I've gotten pretty far in Blazing Lazers but haven't beat it. Another game that hardcore shooter snobs consider "too easy". Maybe I just suck at spaceship shooters and don't have the patience for the memorization and restarts required..
    Often with any shooter by compile it starts out easy then by the last few stages it becomes hard.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    A game I had as a kid but never beat (but came close to) is the NES Ninja Turtles game.
    We share the same pain. Nowadays, I play TMNT in fits & starts. I'll try to beat it but time after time I'll just end up denouncing the freaking game and casting it into the deepest darkest corner of my game collection. I don't know why but I still keep trying to beat this D#!N game. I'm starting to think TMNT is my white whale.

Other games on my hard game short list include:

Shinobi - Sega Master System...This game is challenging but it's also extremely addicting. If you've never tried this SMS classic you really owe it to yourself to try it at least once...you never know it may hook you.

The Adventures of Bayou Billy - NES...Billy should've forget about Annabelle and gone out for a cold one and picked up a new lady friend.
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 08-25-2014 at 11:02 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofwor1975 View Post
    We share the same pain. Nowadays, I play TMNT in fits & starts. I'll try to beat it but time after time I'll just end up denouncing the freaking game and casting it into the deepest darkest corner of my game collection. I don't know why but I still keep trying to beat this D#!N game. I'm starting to think TMNT is my white whale.

Other games on my hard game short list include:

Shinobi - Sega Master System...This game is challenging but it's also extremely addicting. If you've never tried this SMS classic you really owe it to yourself to try it at least once...you never know it may hook you.

The Adventures of Bayou Billy - NES...Billy should've forget about Annabelle and gone out for a cold one and picked up a new lady friend.
    Bayou Billy is totally brutal. I played it briefly and put it down and haven't returned cuz the difficulty is ramped up so much. I'll hafta try Shinobi sometime. I've seen it around, haven't bothered to pick it up, so maybe next time I will.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right now, Alisia Dragoon and Jewel Master.

Totally feels like these games were meant to be part of the same series.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shinobi. I play them because they're fun. Shinobi III still looks great, and my hubby likes to bring out Revenge of Shinobi because Batman.

While the Shinobi games are fun, they are also very, very hard. I have not beaten any of them.

Also, does Shin Megami Tensei count though we didn't get any of the not-spinoffs in English until the PS2? I've tried Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner, Strange Journey, Devil Survivor 1 AND 2... and get reasonably far before receiving a smackdown by some BS out-of-nowhere boss. SMT IV seems to be a little more fair, but I'm certain something will happen in due time to make me retract that statement.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    Bayou Billy is totally brutal. I played it briefly and put it down and haven't returned cuz the difficulty is ramped up so much. I'll hafta try Shinobi sometime. I've seen it around, haven't bothered to pick it up, so maybe next time I will.
    Agreed. Since you and I simpatico about Bayou Billy check out these quotes from RAMSIVERSE's review on GameFAQs:

"Game, meet the wheels of my car"

and

"Oh no, not this one. If you read no further than the end of this sentence, let me sum up the review for you: this game is ass."

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/587070-t.../review-132507

You really should try Shinobi. Its pretty challenging like Sailorneorune said but IMHO its easily one of the best games for the SMS.

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chronno Trigger
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofwor1975 View Post
    TMNT for nes is a game thats actually rather easy once you know how. If you watch a speedrun of the game and remember which manholes to go in, it just becomes a matter of conserving energy (which is easy because you can just switch turtles at any time). There are also multiple areas throughout the game where you can exit and re-enter doors and fill up on pizza.
    The inside of the technodrome is actually fairly challenging though. The white guys that fly around can be total jerks. Shredder is super easy though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Soloman's Key - I hate Soloman and his damn key. Once you get near the end instead of continuing on the exact stage, you are taken back multiple stages, and they are hard.

Festers Quest - Made it so far, but fail every time.

But I did manage to beat Ninja Gaiden, and Ghost's n' Goblins multiple times. And I finally made it though Spellcaster on Master System without cheating by looking online. The pyramid in that game is a pain.
    Currently looking to trade for Magical Chase any version, and especially Dynastic Hero USA version. I have Samurai Shodown V Special MVS, lots of other MVS titles, and tons of games. Check out my profile over at http://gametz.com/user/greedostick.html if you are looking to get rid of one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ugh Solomon's Key. I can't play that game at all. I've tried here and there over the years, but that style of game, any like it, I just can't handle. For some reason my logic capabilities fail miserably at how those games work out so I just get pissed and quit after hitting a wall not long into the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    TMNT for nes is a game thats actually rather easy once you know how. If you watch a speedrun of the game and remember which manholes to go in, it just becomes a matter of conserving energy (which is easy because you can just switch turtles at any time). There are also multiple areas throughout the game where you can exit and re-enter doors and fill up on pizza.
    The inside of the technodrome is actually fairly challenging though. The white guys that fly around can be total jerks. Shredder is super easy though.
    You should really do a walkthrough and post it on GameFAQS. I know I'd appreciate it.

You guys are right about Solomon's Key. I remember playing it on my C64 back in the day and latter on the NES, but I could never really get into it. Check out this review on GameFAQs by ELECTRIC_TIGERBOY:

"Unlocking Solomon's Key Will be the Challenge of Your Life"

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/570522-s...s/review-23583

I think the review's title nails it...
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 08-30-2014 at 04:41 AM.