Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite digital downloads you wish weren't

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnysdad View Post
    You get a download code for Mega Man in that compilation.
    Really? I was thinking the same thing, but the description on Amazon made it seem like it was on disc. Oh well, maybe one day they'll release another Mega Man compilation disc and 9 and 10 will make the cut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They've talked in a recent interview or two like they're more than welcome to the idea with how old Mega Man Anniversary Collection is getting.

Would make for a heck of a compilation even if it was only Mega Man 1-10 (Although I would hope we'd get all the cartridge releases including handhelds and the X franchise as well). Sadly though, I doubt it would release on the system with the best d-pad for the job. Soon, only Mega Man 8 will be absent on the Wii U's Virtual Console if we include Mega Man 9 & 10 which can still be found in the Wii Shop in Wii mode. So I suspect Wii U fans will have to be content with those.

Putting the horse really ahead of the cart here, but if it ever happens, I hope the DLC is packed in by default like SpaceHarrier said. Most of it looked like a waste of money that I skipped over, but I've enjoyed the special downloadable stages for both Mega Man 9 & 10. Was a nice way to spend the odd dollar here and there to keep my Wii Shop balance at 0.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-27-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After Burner Climax & Raiden 4 - both PS3.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can't believe I forgot Afterburner Climax as I was listing other Sega XBLA/PSN downloads.

I know you're talking specifically about the PS3 version, but for the uninitiated, there is a retail version of Raiden IV on the Xbox 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Can't believe I forgot Afterburner Climax as I was listing other Sega XBLA/PSN downloads.

I know you're talking specifically about the PS3 version, but for the uninitiated, there is a retail version of Raiden IV on the Xbox 360.
    Yeah, at least Raiden 4 isn't lost to download only. I don't have a 360 so it was win/lose when I heard it was coming to PS3 but only on PSN.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Ace Attorney 5 (Phoenix Wright) (Dang cheap-ass CAPCOM. I had to buy a new, larger memory card just to download this game because CAPCOM was too cheap to put some money into a physical release. *Grr* And give us Mega Man Legends 3!)

Azure Striker Gunvolt ("Mega Man Zero"-esque game due out this summer in Japan, not too long afterward for the rest of the world.)

Guild 01 (A collection of four Japanese games which eventually all got localized.)

Guild 02 (So nice they made another. Seriously though, at least check out Weapon Shop de Omasse - it's the best of them all.)

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball (They could have left the haggling in, just have the players haggle with in-game virtual currency instead of real-world money. It's a great action game that distills baseball down to its essentials and it's well worth a physical release in full.)

Mighty No. 9 (This will be available for a lot of platforms when it is released, but not a single one of them will be getting a physical release. What's the deal, Inafune? I know the last-minute USB and DVD add-ons were offered for the Kickstarter, but I wasn't able to pick one up at the time and you should as least allow backers to get some more physical copies ordered while we wait for the game to finish development. And even better, give us retail releases for every format where it is practical. For example, a DVD or USB disk with all three PC versions (Win/Mac/Lin), plus physical copies on 3DS, Wii U, Vita, PS3, PS4, XBone, and XB360.)

Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Umihara Kawase) (It's worth importing the physical PSP version of this as it is basically exactly the same minus the stereoscopic 3D visuals from the 3DS version.)

Mega Man 9 (Why not?! Include all the DLC too.)

Mega Man 10 (Seriously, CAPCOM, stop being so cheap! It would be perfect to release both of these as a 2-pack!)

Mega Man I - V & Mega Man Xtreme 1 - 2 (CAPCOM should put these together as a collection like they promised for the GBA. Now I understand CAPCOM is too cheap to put some real work into these like remastering the audio and video for modern standards like the company was planning to do back in the day, but a simple compilation of all these games emulated and on a 3DS and/or Vita game card would be good. Toss in some character & concept art and I'd be sold on it.)

Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time (I would have liked this so much more if it were to have utilized the traditional business model that PopCap used to employ for its games rather than what EA (which acquired PopCap) turned this sequel into - a micro-transcation'ed, buy your way portable game for iOS and Android. All of the challenge and a lot of the charm are sadly gone. )

Shadowgate (2014 remake) (I pledged to the Kickstarter; I'm in the beta; it is FANTASTIC, so worth it for old fans and new players too. Strangely, despite all the other physical Kickstarter rewards (posters, maps, staves, collector's boxes, card games, shirts, softcover art book, hardcover art book, soundtrack CD), there is no physical game release. Buh-wah? I realize we are living in modern times, but seriously, they could have gotten much more money for not much more effort if they'd pressed some DVD's.)

Shovel Knight (I would really DIG a physical copy of this with Shovel Knight's classic-CAPCOM-style box art.)

Most PC releases, particularly of console game ports, from the last 5+ years (You used to be able to import physical copies of these from Europe, but even there it is now rare to get a physical PC release on CD-ROM/DVD-ROM.)

NES Remix 1 & NES Remix 2 (It would also be perfect to bundle both of these as a 2-pack. Good thing Big N has seen the light!)

And on a different note: I think "The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition" should be a built-in game for 3DS's. I believe it would help to sell hardware. And why not? It's not like it was ever a charge-for game, unlike its predecessors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

People keep telling me that connectivity with older DS and DSi-ware titles like Four Swords doesn't work very well on the 3DS – connections are slow and likely to be dropped, or something.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Joe Santulli has a facebook page called "I Am A Classic Videogamer" and it seems to get much more activity than the forum.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    And on a different note: I think "The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition" should be a built-in game for 3DS's. I believe it would help to sell hardware. And why not? It's not like it was ever a charge-for game, unlike its predecessors.
    It makes too much sense to probably happen, but I'm hoping it's bundled in with Majora's Mask 3D.

Of course that one remains just a rumor at this point, but if it happens next year like many hope, I hope Grezzo (The developer likely behind it as they developed Ocarina of Time 3D), tosses it in as a bonus. They also were responsible for porting Four Swords from the GBA over to the DS/3DS and enhancing it with additional levels and a single player mode, so that would seem to only help its chances.

I wonder though if DS code can be ran off a 3DS game card or if they'd have to port it and break multiplayer compatibility with the existing download (It's a DSiWare download).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-19-2014 at 05:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    People keep telling me that connectivity with older DS and DSi-ware titles like Four Swords doesn't work very well on the 3DS – connections are slow and likely to be dropped, or something.
    You're talking like same room connections right? They did kill the network this year for the Wii and DS so anything online is dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    You're talking like same room connections right?
    Yes, that is what I am referring to. (Four Swords never had WFC capability.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    drtomoe
    PSN
    drtomoe123

Even though I totally understand why it's a DD only title (it's a three hour adventure game), I'd love to own a physical copy of Attack of the Friday Monsters for the 3DS. It's so charming, fresh, and Japanese--it deserves one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Isn't that one of those 'Guild' games? Perhaps if they had(did?) sell into the tens or hundreds of thousands of copies overall(between them) it would be cool if they did a bundle package much like how Sony did the Journey collection for PS3 with it, flow, and flower on there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Mega Man 9 + 10 (Wiiware) I'd have loved a disc that contained one or both of these plus the DLC.
    I'd love to see someone put those games on reproduction NES carts, playable on the NES. Although I've read that's impossible...despite looking just like NES games, they are actually too complex to work on the NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know for a fact someone is/was slowly working to hack an existing later Mega Man cart for NES to be turned into MM9 but I remember there was some technical issues popping up because the game while looking NES does more in the background or something to that effect I think the NES couldn't handle. I wouldn't be surprised if a google search popped something up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They're not NES games despite the impression some fans had of them. They natively run on the hardware they were released on, they're not NES code running via a NES emulator.

It would take a homebrewer to code replicas from scratch on the NES (And making downgrades here and there since as you said, they apparently didn't stay 100% faithful to the limitations of the NES hardware).

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I don't know what crack they are smoking, but I'd advise them to put down the pipe.

Four Swords works fine on my 3DS and those 3DS's of the people with which I've played the game. Similarly, Club House games has worked perfectly every time I've used Download Play on it, and that was mixing a 3DS and a DS while playing it. I have quite the library of DS & DSi games, and every one which supports local wireless has worked flawlessly on my launch 3DS. I notice no difference in performance between running a game wirelessly on a DS Lite versus a 3DS.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

To get back on topic...

I wish Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode 1, 2, etc. were all collected on one disc.

I know that's an unlikely scenario at best. The first episode sold well due to the hype from SEGA about this being the true next chronological game in the series after Sonic & Knuckles and "OMG YOu only play as Sonic.super cool rite?!" But the game itself was a mess. Level design was bunk, tons of lives lost due to poor game design, bad music, wonky physics by real-world or Sonic game standards, a "we will put you out of your protective furl whenever we can (like when you hit a spring) to make you look cool while putting you at risk of instant ring loss when you would normally have destroyed an enemy in any other Sonic game" kind of mentality. And many cases of using enemies as platforms which you needed to attack to continue and if you did it in the wrong direction or out-of-order you were FUBAR and had to just die to have another go at the section as now it was rendered impassible without the enemies to attack.

Then with Episode 2 SEGA tried to hype that by saying, "Oh yeah what we really meant before was that the 16bit games went 1 2 3 Knuckles Eps. 1 CD 'cause release order doesnt count and OMG LOOK its Metal Sonic he's back from SONIC CD cuz this gaem is the sequel to SONIC CD isnt Metal cool and baadass? oh also tails." But ironically, even though Eps. 2 was better than Eps. 1 in all ways (though still not that good, probably a 7/10), it got a lower rating on Metacritic and the like because of the bad aftertaste Eps. 1 left for people. Plus many folks were unhappy that you couldn't play as Tails solo. And don't forget, players who bought the Wii version of Eps. 1 got cheated out of Episode Metal, the special 4 level remix of Eps. 1 starring Metal Sonic, as Eps. 2 wasn't available for the Wii and you needed both Eps. on the same console to unlock Episode Metal. So Episode 2 sold poorly.

As Episode 1 only really sold on hype and Episode 2 had bad sales, these add up to there likely never being an Episode 3. The plan SEGA had, as I understand it, was to copy Nintendo's New Super Mario Bros. series with Sonic 4. But the company didn't want to pay out the money to develop a full-sized game like Nintendo had, so it decided to just release it episodically with each part funding the next. However with Episode 1's quality catching up to SEGA and ruining Episode 2's sales, there probably will never be an Eps. 3. And SEGA's silence about another entry in this sub-series all but confirms that.

So I say, gather Episodes 1, Metal, and 2 all on one disc and sell it at retail. For those who don't buy downloads it would be a good way to get to experience these games (or even be made aware of them in the first place), Sonic sells well to parents who often only shop in retail stores, and for Sonic collectors, this compilation would be a must-have addition for their collections. The games might not be great, but they are worth a once-through play-through and occasionally going back to Episode 2.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    drtomoe
    PSN
    drtomoe123

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Isn't that one of those 'Guild' games? Perhaps if they had(did?) sell into the tens or hundreds of thousands of copies overall(between them) it would be cool if they did a bundle package much like how Sony did the Journey collection for PS3 with it, flow, and flower on there.
    That would have been fantastic! The only other game I bought from the Guild series was Crimson Shroud, the one done by Matsuno. I feel like the entire collection between Guild01 and Guild02 would be more than enough content for a meaty compilation cart. It's a shame though because it's really unlikely that the games sold well at all.

On a side note, Attack of the Friday Monsters was developed by the same guy who created the Boku no Natsuyasumi series that's been on every PS platform aside from the Vita and PS4. They're all really unique titles that center around a young boy on his summer vacation and they sadly never made it to America. I'd honestly love to have any of these games over here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good suggestion on Sonic, also proves still Sega in all these years have learned nothing from their bad decision making.

I've never bought a guild game, but have invested time watching a lot of them and the shooter and airport game really grabbed me, just not the price is all on the Nintendo systems since they're stuck on it. I'd probably snap them up on Android since you can strip APKs from those or a PC version if it wasn't steam crippled.