Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3DS XL Bottom Screen Scratching Top Screen? And getting it fixed under warranty?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Finally, after two months and three attempts, I am back where I started, with an M&L 3DS XL with a fresh screen! It's probably for the best that I got a refurbished unit; my original one seemed to be working perfectly, but I did have a little trouble that one day after I was carrying it in my backpack during a colossal rainstorm.

I borrowed a 3DS from someone who apparently did not mind losing his save data; I did a System Transfer before sending my old unit in, and just now did a System Transfer back.

At least I ended up with an extra power supply, stylus, manual, AR Card set, and 4 GB SD card.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thumbs up

(The following is voiced in the manner of a narrator in a somewhat hushed tone often used as the victor appears from winning against difficult odds.)

Then from the smoke and ashes, against all odds, our warrior hero emerges. At his feet is a pile of discarded electronics with bits strewn here and there. As light beams across his silhouette through the smoke, he glances once to his left, then to his right, and then he triumphantly holds his impeccable 3DS, lights aglow, above his head!

{Trumpets sound and the music swells.}

He has done it! Against all odds, he has claimed his victory! But while his war is over and his battles are won, he must remain ever vigilant, for the scourge of imperfection knows no rest, and only with the steely gaze of an ever-alert sentry can such flawlessness be maintained by the determined collector.

Seriously, though, thanks for sharing all this. It was kind of like a living journal chronicling what one has to go through to get something like this taken care of. Who knows, it might be of good use to future readers trying to get their Nintendo products repaired/refurbished/replaced.

Just remember to put a foam frame or something around the top or bottom screen to keep the smaller frame from clapping into the bigger screen. What are you planning to do in this regard? Are you just going to go with the "toss a cloth in there" approach?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Who knows, it might be of good use to future readers trying to get their Nintendo products repaired/refurbished/replaced.
    I would hope so. What puzzles me is their strange insistence about their inability to fix "limited editions". My old 3DS had a small but very distinctive dent in one corner of the cover, and those first two times they sent it back, the dent was still there, even though the serial number on the bottom had been completely changed. It would seem that they are quite capable of transplanting the exterior of one unit onto another – except of course it seems the exterior got scratched up in the process, so maybe they try to avoid that.

Just remember to put a foam frame or something around the top or bottom screen to keep the smaller frame from clapping into the bigger screen. What are you planning to do in this regard? Are you just going to go with the "toss a cloth in there" approach?
    Aye, I'm going to stick with the cloth unless I happen across some form of suitable feet that I can glue on. I guess I could chop up an eraser, but then my next concern would be what kind of adhesive to use.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Aye, I'm going to stick with the cloth unless I happen across some form of suitable feet that I can glue on. I guess I could chop up an eraser, but then my next concern would be what kind of adhesive to use.
    As this is Nintendo we're talking about here, perhaps you should use Super (Nintendo) Glue. "Now You're Affixing with Power!"