Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Commando one of the few times the Atari 7800 outshone the NES?

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Was Commando one of the few times the Atari 7800 outshone the NES?

Recently I read this review of Commando for the Atari 7800. The author of the article said the Atari version of Commando was one of the few times the 7800 outshone the NES.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/atari7800/58...s/review-84076

Do you guys agree with the author and which version do you prefer? Personally I have both versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved Commando when I had it on a 5.25" floppy disk. I later picked it up for the NES and was severely disappointed -- it flickered too much, enemies disappeared randomly and it was too easy. I haven't played the 7800 version, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear it's better than the NES version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ro-J View Post
    I loved Commando when I had it on a 5.25" floppy disk. I later picked it up for the NES and was severely disappointed -- it flickered too much, enemies disappeared randomly and it was too easy. I haven't played the 7800 version, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear it's better than the NES version.
    Which computer did you play Commando on? I remember playing this game back in the day on my C64. Every now and again I play it on my SX-64. The good old commie has so many great trainers for Commando. I hear you on the NES flickering. Flickering was even a problem for the C64. Apparently the guy who wrote the article cites the Atari's lack of flickering as one of the reasons he thought the 7800's Commando was better than the NES version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I prefer the 7800 conversion although I use a converted NES gamepad to play it with, but it's not clear cut. Take these two reviews for instance. Clearly he prefers the NES release.

http://videogamecritic.com/nescc.htm#Commando

http://videogamecritic.com/7800ae.htm#Commando

Note that although it would be an excellent addition, the arcade original also doesn't feature two player simultaneous multiplayer so I'd hesitate to criticize either game for not including it like he does. Also note that he grades games based on the system it's on. 7800 Commando apparently has a higher score than the NES version despite his opinion of the two because of the quality of the software library of both.

The 7800 simply doesn't have games like Super Mario Bros. 3 so it shines a bit more brightly in the 7800's software portfolio than the NES version does in its library.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Note that although it would be an excellent addition, the arcade original also doesn't feature two player simultaneous multiplayer so I'd hesitate to criticize either game for not including it like he does.
    Good point. Simultaneous game play for Commando would have been a nice touch for this otherwise great game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They both have major flaws, flickering on nes, and poo graphics and less sprites on the 7800. 7800 has major gameplay changes due to the lack of enemies.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Commando looked better on the 7800, but the game play was still lousy. The 7800's potential was far from realized. Atari Corp spent little to no money on game development, and several hardware projects that would have beefed up the game carts like were done on NES were never finished.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 7800 version of Commando is definitely better than the NES flicker-fest with its disappearing enemies. The only version I owned as a child, by the way, was the C64 version, which is pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    The 7800 simply doesn't have games like Super Mario Bros. 3 so it shines a bit more brightly in the 7800's software portfolio than the NES version does in its library.
    Definitely. As much as I hate to say it, one of the best things Commando on the 7800 has going for it is that it is an above average game on the 7800, which, apart from Golden Age Arcade ports, are hard to come by on the system.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've only played the NES version, and I'm horrible at it. It's hard. Hard.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    I've only played the NES version, and I'm horrible at it. It's hard. Hard.
    The arcade version is really hard also, I guess its just meant to be a hard game?
    Although its not nearly as hard as the arcade version of Gun.Smoke... the NES version of Gun.Smoke is a cakewalk compared to the arcade.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    The arcade version is really hard also, I guess its just meant to be a hard game?
    Although its not nearly as hard as the arcade version of Gun.Smoke... the NES version of Gun.Smoke is a cakewalk compared to the arcade.
    I've never been great at top-down run n gun shooters, I'm workin on Smash TV on NES rite now, I'm a little better at this one cuz the control scheme is fantastic. Still pretty challenging tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    You're right about Gunsmoke. I really like the NES's port of Gunsmoke. The controls on the NES version are fantastic. I play it on my RES with a NES QuickShot joystick from Spectravision. The auto fire button on the Quickshot is just awesome for Gunsmoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iiJcfSYZ0c

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The same can be said about Legendary Wings. Like Gunsmoke, the NES version is so much easier than the arcade.

I thought Commando looked better on the 7800, but I don't have a very good 7800 controller at the moment to say one plays better than the other yet.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

All these games are available on xbox/playstation network when you download the Capcom arcade cabinet. You get Black Tiger for free when you download it, and all the other games are like 3$ each or cheaper in the bundles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    The same can be said about Legendary Wings. Like Gunsmoke, the NES version is so much easier than the arcade.

I thought Commando looked better on the 7800, but I don't have a very good 7800 controller at the moment to say one plays better than the other yet.
    Capcom was kind of awful with difficulty balancing back in the '80s, particularly with their arcade games. Black Tiger is about the only one I've played that really feels right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    garou5016

7800 > NES

The NOSTALGIA update of Commando for the C64 is hands down best, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyXP View Post
    7800 > NES

I like your avatar. Is it Dr. Phil?

It looks like Nostalgia put out a Commando Arcade EasyFlash in May. Is the new May version the one your're talking about?

http://www.n0stalgia.org/common/page...release&id=322

It really doesn't surprise me that the Nostalgia folks are still putting out trainers for Commando. The 64 version of Commando was definitely a good one to begin with. I read the Nostalgia guys are calling the new version the "Ultimate version of Commando".

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you like this game on the 7800 and like like better than NES ports than try out Ikari Warriors, same game type but lightyears better on the 7800.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyXP View Post
    7800 > NES

I am having trouble getting this to work on Frodo on Wiibrew, where I can't get past the text screen that project the game to Mario (Mr. Alpha). What the hell? Universal File version my ass.

It works just fine on VICE, though. Maybe I should give the game longer to load?

EDIT:

Yeah, nothing still.
    Last edited by treismac; 08-31-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I just played Commando on both Nes and 7800 to see what all the commotion is about.
    Yeah, 7800 is probably a better game but only because the NES version is such a jumbled mess. The Nintendo version should be called 'Super Joe verses the worlds stupidest army'. There are guys all over the place. Most of the time the bad guys just run around and dont even shoot. Sometimes the bad guys just vanish for no reason. There is so much flicker across the screen, and the cars and motorcycles flicker so much they are almost invisible. Its still playable though but not much fun. I guess the game levels just repeat every 4 levels but increase in difficulty? I would say both are equally not fun to play. Commando on 7800 is kinda slow and no music.