Thread: PS Vita is best for non Sony fans.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default PS Vita is best for non Sony fans.

I've posted this, or atleast something similar in another forum, and the recent no sports games on the 3DS got me thinking maybe it'd do good here. No basketball on the Vita either though there is a PSP game you can purchase digitally and play on the Vita.

As a Playstation fan, the biggest problem with the Vita is that most games are multiconsole with the PS3. Games like Dragon's Crown, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, etc. Sony themselves have no interest to do anything about this as they're mostly interested in rushed ports rather than getting exclusives on the system and the system isn't exactly a money maker in the west so most Japanese games stay in Japan, and the western devs have all but forgotten the system.

If you own a 360, there's less of a reason to purchase the Vita, but there are still going to be more games you can't play than if you were to own a Sony console. The real value from the Vita comes from those who don't own consoles at all or those who are Nintendo only. For those that don't own consoles or own a Wii U and 3DS, just about every game on the Vita will be new for you, and so long as you're not a PC gamer, the indie library will be mostly unique as well. The system might be full of ports, but it doesn't matter when none of those ports are available to you. Additionally, for everyone who hasn't owned Sony consoles, you have a back catalog of great PSP and PSX games as well.

The Vita does have remote play for use with the PS4, and if you own a PS4 but not a PS3, then everything is still new. Not sure how you can market the game to tell non Sony gamers that this is the portable for you, but that's what Sony should have been doing if they weren't going to make a system for their own fanbase.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

I bought a vita last month mostly because I've had ps+ since like last May and all these vita games have been accumulating in my playstation war chest i finally figured! why not, fuck it.

I say those that own ps+ but migrated over from xbox or nintendo to the ps4 and have been tying the free vita games to their account thus whole time will benefit the most.

If you already own a ps3 and have a huge steam backlog on pc, you'll benefit the least. I don't game on pc so allot of these indies I'm experiencing for the first time, add the early actual triple A games sony made like uncharted and wipeout and you got a bonafied,100% justified. Purchase right there
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Having bought and given up on the Vita a few years ago I mostly agree with the statement. I sold out about when Gravity Rush appeared.

My issue was that other than Uncharted, Katamari, Hot Shots, and Lumines I felt I had nothin to do. The other games at the time were all PS3 console ports or heavily similar remixes, and in that they were also FPS and third person adventure games I had zero interest on PS3 so why would I on the Vita? At that rate nothing was on the horizon as it was a dry spell due to Sony entirely, so I let it go. I've watched ever since thinking I'd like one again, but I never see more than 10-15~ games at a store games are at, and even then the stuff still mostly mirrors the home console, not a heap of goodies to actively keep a person happy with it so it's not a dust bunny hoarder much of the year. Had I no PS3, sure I'd have a few others, like Dragon's Crown if I still had it then, but that's still not saying much. It's not just a PS3 portability box, it's a system Sony never tried hard to get people to support arrogantly thinking they'd just flock to it like PS3 over the Wii, and it backfired, and even now still has a piddly library which is an awful shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

http://gamingplatforms.wikia.com/wik...ita_Exclusives

Is that list correct? That's a pretty small list of exclusives compared to 360 and PS3.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

No it's not correct. There are games listed as exclusive that aren't exclusive but it's also missing exclusives. While that list isn't correct, it's not much different than what the system actually has. The big problem is, most of the games are also on the PS3, which makes it a terrible system if you already own a PS3 and want it only for exclusives. If you don't own a PS3, the system is worth it.

Here's a list of all the games. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ion_Vita_games

The list that you linked, the games here's what it's missing that's Vita exclusive, and yes, this is probably everything that's not listed. Demon Gaze, Mind Zero, Assassin's Creed Liberation(ported as digital only to PS360 a year later,) Soul Sacrifice, Soul Sacrifice Delta(digital only in west,) Sword Art Online(digital only in west,) Danganronpa, Danganronpa 2, Monster Monpiece, Toro's Friend Network(F2P rpg like game,) Destiny of Spirits(F2P,) Uncharted Fight For Fortune(digital only/decent card game.)

*edit*

Everything that releases on Vita is either digital or digital/physical. According to PSN, there are 924 pieces of playable content on the Vita. That includes digital only, PSX, PSP, and Minis. How it arranges everything on the PC though is pretty terrible because if you go to Vita, all games and check Vita games only, it not only removes all the minis, but it removes most of the digital PSN non retail games. There's no option to scroll through Vita titles without including PSP games. I think if you scroll through on the PSN through the Vita though, PSP and minis are separate from the Vita only content.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwo...PSVITAALLGAMES
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-04-2014 at 09:52 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Some of those digital only games you noted already are on that link he provided (Toro, Uncharted card game.)

It's still a small list, and depending on your tastes in games it can get very much smaller unless you're into a few genres quite a bit.

Muramasa Rebirth was just basically a port of the Wii game Muramasa so I'm surprised seeing that listed as unique. I thought that Ys game was also on PC-Steam too. It is nice to see a list, but I really wish it was like twice that size or more given how long it has been on the market, but it also is sadly telling why when you can find vita at retail it sits in a tiny shelf or set of shelves with just a few items on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The big problem is, most of the games are also on the PS3, which makes it a terrible system if you already own a PS3 and want it only for exclusives.
    Hopefully three of its exclusives will someday join this by being ported over to the PS3. With their days of pushing Vita's in the past, Killzone, Resistance, and Uncharted would make for fine PS3 conversions much like how the PS2 started to rely on the PSP a few years back for projects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'd call it a 50/50 chance depending which. They seem despite what they say willing to move PS3 stuff to PS4 as well if they feel it was late enough or good enough to make a heap of cash. I could see the rumblings of an Uncharted PS4 package including that 'lost' Vita game (lost since most haven't played it, and it's good and the PS4 has the touch panel the game uses on vita too!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They've sold a ton of PS3's and appear set on selling many more into the foreseeable future. While the bulk of their resources have or soon will shift towards the PS4, they're going to still want to support this with smaller scales projects even though it's no longer the top dog at Sony.

Just like many a PSP project was for the PS2 where the PSP was the primary platform and the PS2 saw a quick conversion to provide something to sell to the many millions of PS2 owners (Often much later than the PSP original), they're going to be on the hunt for easy PS3 projects now that there's not a lot of 1st party development work going on. I would expect to see a Vita port of Uncharted and Killzone at the very least which shouldn't be difficult with many similarities between the two platforms (Sony went on and on about that before the Vita released). And I'd like to see Resistance ported over although Sony seems to have given up on that franchise now.

Maybe even a few more 1st party HD PS2 and PSP upgrades are in its future. Not a lot of potential candidates left, but there's still a few prime choices like Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters left that could make the jump with ease and sell well (And would also be at home on the Vita as well).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-07-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, I enjoy the system for what it is. TxK really is awesome. Being a Tempest fan really helps things out for me though. Amazing exclusive and well worth the price of admission.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have had mine since shortly after launch and I still enjoy it daily. Funny thing is that I do not own a Wii or Wii U. But I do have a 360 and Xbox One.

This was posted using my Vita.