Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A New (kind of) Nintendo 3D handheld

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Wtf is this? The redesign looks like absolute ass. They put a start and select button in the bottom right corner taking up a large amount of space, the button layout is exactly the same, and the c stick is shoved into the small portion of space above the buttons and between the screen. Really Nintendo, why not base the upgrade on the 3DS XL where the start and select are plastic hinges below the screen and that wide open area below the abxy face buttons, you could move the face buttons to that section and then put the c stick where the buttons are, directly across the other analog stick.

These companies have no idea what they're doing. Sony stuck the Vita analogs way too close to the face buttons and Nintendo puts the second analog in such a ridiculously akward place, both close to the face buttons and the hinge when the system closes. I'm pretty sure playing the 3DS with both analogs and repeated button inputs like L and R will not be an enjoyment.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-30-2014 at 07:20 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The extra stick on the side was an added $20+shipping (or tax.) Having to buy a part to enjoy a third party guys games is considered a risk for a limited market
    Except with the current installed userbase, the people with the new 3DS will also constitute a "limited market".

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    These companies have no idea what they're doing.
    Ugh. They are dealing with million-dollar markets (possibly billions, I haven't been keeping track). Thousands of jobs are at stake and there is no shortage of highly talented people who would relish the opportunity to come work for them. So which is more likely? That they have no idea what they are doing, or that they have already considered everything you suggested and, for reasons that are not immediately clear to a public with no knowledge whatsoever of the internal machinations of the company, arrived at their current conclusion?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Hopefully Xenoblade actually using the system's capabilities (like the DSi really didn't, the camera was the big thing with DSi exclusives) will cause more developers to be interested in exclusives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I bet it will. The secondary thing with the DSi which they foolishly never advertised was the double speed CPU and 4x RAM on it. A good many games, some pretty decent ended up using that. I happened at the time to have the Sonic genesis emulation package for it and both models of DS handy and man was there a difference in the smoothness and speed of the Sonic games on the ungimped DSi hardware.

If they really do use all that added room I mentioned is possible in the other thread if they maxed out the existing hardware and upped the ram they could do a lot. The thing is they really need to advertise the crap out of the beefier specs, the clean 3D at wide angles, the Amiibo internal support, all of it, not selectively and it'll help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wasn't foolish advertising features that almost were never taken advantage of.

There aren't many DSi enhanced games (Perhaps 100, at this point) and they're almost all things like iCarly, Cars, Barbie, the Imagine lineup, etc. That crowd could care less that something like the RAM was increased. About the only thing worth playing for folks like ourselves is the Sonic collection. And while that indeed seems to take advantage of the DSi for smoother performance, almost all of these just were classified this so as to be region locked.

And only four games were full DSi only titles that took full advantage of the hardware and were locked out of playing on DS and DS Lites. And they were all garbage.

From the gamer's standpoint, unless someone bizarrely fell in love with the weak selection of DSiWare downloads off the eShop (Games that presumably regularly utilized these resources since they didn't have to be coded to be playable on the DS/DS Lite), the added RAM and the faster clock speed on the ARM9 were meaningless where gaming was concerned.

And I can't imagine it pushed something like the internet browser into truly usable territory, either.

I happened at the time to have the Sonic genesis emulation package for it and both models of DS handy and man was there a difference in the smoothness and speed of the Sonic games on the ungimped DSi hardware.
    Out of curiosity, ever take it for a spin on a 3DS? How'd it perform?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-30-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sorry can't help you unless I go googling to see if someone else did. Not long after buying the 3DS I realized how much the DS didn't have any replay value for me personally so I got rid of everything ultimately other than FF3 and even now I"m uncertain why I have it since I don't use it. The DS was a wild and fun ride off and on, but it never got me the pleasure the GBA did or the consistent use either. My 3DS use is spotty I won't lie, but it's more about the whole living situation, not the games, as I like what I have and have kept much of what I bought too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Kind of funny that they improved the 3D, it was a fad that was big when it originally came out but mostly seems to be gone by this point. A lot of games have good use of the effect, so I'm glad to see viewability is better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sorry can't help you unless I go googling to see if someone else did.
    It was a stupid question anyways. It can play DSiWare downloads, so Sonic Classics logically should run as if it was on a DSi.

My DS is mostly kept busy these days by the several classic compilations it received. I'll have to add the Sonic collection one of these days.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-31-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

So is there a prospect of more GCN/Wii ports onto this thing?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I'm glad I just stuck with the launch 3DS. Change after change is just crazy with Nintendo's handhelds. Better wait till it achieves its ultimate form before upgrading. In other words, wait for the successor, buy the weird exclusives used.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Tupin, very strong case for it I'd think. Given what the 3DS stock is capable of, despite being limited to 1/2 the power on the CPU(main) and the GPU, and knowing this thing probably since Nintendo is cheapo big time will be the same parts likely ungimped with more RAM thrown on top, the overhead would very well be there to deal with some Gamecube and tweaked Wii (waggle out!) games as well thanks to that c-stick being thrown into the mix. If you imagine that stick below the XYBA buttons it's a controller much in tune with the Wii/UU Pro Pad or even the Gamecube as well. This definitely opens a cheap and easy door for Nintendo and third parties who didn't pass on the GC or Wii to get some quick cash in re-runs, and also given the control lay out you could see other PS2 or better ports too potentially.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Thing is that with the DSi there was never a killer app that was a physical release to take advantage of the power. DSiWare was a thing, but Nintendo was draconian on what could be on there and how large it could be.

Xenoblade, one of the most popular RPGs of the last five years, has more weight and proof that it isn't just a minor improvement or something that doesn't really affect stuff.

What I think may be more likely than a game being a New DS exclusive is 3DS games having a New 3DS mode where they take advantage of some (but not all) features of the New 3DS when played on one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I can see that, but can Nintendo deliver that? History shows they're not that good doing that. They seem to go with a few gimmicky ideas and then force them into a game where it causes the fluidity of them to feel jacked up or shoehorned in to just make use of justifying the hardware which is awful. If they do it, I hope it's done right for once. Xenoblade does show they're definitely beefing up the hardware to handle that Wii game, and gives a taste of what potential could be pushed even if it's just PS2/PC/GC era type ports of existing stuff. Perhaps Square-Enix known to beat the dead horse could just throw KIngdom Hearts 1 and 2 out there yet again. :P