Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About the Recent S***storm...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default About the Recent S***storm...

Hi, everybody!

This thread might be a bit trivial, but I guess there's no harm in asking.

For the past week I've been hearing these news of a giant debacle about a Zoe Quinn sleeping with some guys and Phil Fish getting doxxed, but I can't for the life of me find anything that would actually introduce me into the topic - all the articles I found were for people who already knew what the deal was. I'm completely lost.

What I'm asking is, could someone give me the gist of this whole mess and what it could do to the industry? While I usually pass on these supposedly "large" news, this seems like something really, really big, so big that even I've become interested. I'd be very grateful for any information.
    LIVE LONG AND MAY THE TRIFORCE BE WITH YOU!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't recall all of it, but basically the girl had a boyfriend and for a good while. He came to find out, that to try and advance her career, she was on differing levels whoring around and lying about it to him. Some men she supposedly hit on, others were heavily flirting both ways, and supposedly she ended up taking it as far as sex to get ahead. The people she was fooling with were the heads of companies, groups, departments, whatever, basically people with power and control that could get her in a better standing. Her boyfriend found out, he wanted it stopped, she claimed it would and didn't, so she got dumped and he dumped all this 'evidence' up on the internet. Since then it's been a feeding frenzy of hate, a bit justified, and a lot of trolls taking it way way too far on the girl. There is another thread for it on this site I believe, and when I saw that one I had made a sizeable post since I've run into whoring like that before which caused me to quit out from working on the online gaming media as she was setting me up for a fall since I wouldn't get with her. So clearly I have zero sympathy for the girl given the the story and evidence are true as no man or woman should slut around to get ahead. I found this big original post on it maybe a week ago but I didn't bookmark it, it's all the original evidence of logs, imagery and other goodies from the guy and her trying to refute it so it was the source piece so it is out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sounds like some heavy stuff. I guess this is how far some will go to advance their careers... Well, thanks for the reply, I'll be sure to search for the other thread.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

There are a few threads around Neogaf and The Escapist that have been covering all information and discussion about all this bullshit. There is also something about that Anita women apparently being forced out of her house due to credible death threats. JonTron said something stupid and then Totalbiscuit tried to play the middle (that one I have: https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/...s-jazz-edition).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here is an overview that will catch you up. This all blew up while I was on vacation so I missed a bunch of it too.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/26/v...e-to-assholes/

There's also a good Leigh Alexander piece about "gamer culture" being over. That's ok with me.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I don't see why people really have to stick their noses in it. Sure the girl is a whore and deserves to be panned, but the industry is full of bias and people don't bitch and moan constantly over that. People are sheep and just want to feel they're part of something important because this is apparently such big news.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, those overviews were very comprehensive.

(the following is a personal opinion and is in no way meant to reflect the absolute truth on this matter)

Well, cheating on someone is, without doubt, wrong, but the ramifications this will hold on someone's personal life are none of the internet's business.
    The fact that the gaming industry can, like all others, be corrupt and biased, is something that's always been known, but this Zoe Quinn thing has really thrown into our faces. One individual exploiting the system won't bring it down, the small worm that's constantly eating away is. I don't understand how people could take a medium based mainly on entertainment and turn it into a horiffic drama fest, full of corporate schemes and lies.

And, for F's sake:
    -you do not make rape, bomb, murder threats under any circumstances,
    -you do not try to ruin someone's life because their opinion differs from yours,
    -you do not discriminate against others for whatever reason.

I know I sound like the Big Brother, but seriously, isn't this something that should go without question? When was it declared that prejudiced assholes would be the poster child for video games? And I don't know about the end of video game culture, but I'd rather go live in the desert than be associated with people spewing forth such foul crap. It seems like the underbelly of the internet is this eldritch abomination that will devour all who do not conform and comply.

There are bigger problems in this world than having the opposite gender criticise your preferred entertainment medium.

To end this little rant, I'll simply say... I'm dissapointed it's come to this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It is disappointing and that F list you have there fits too.

Personally taking all the third party nose in it assholes out of the equation and leaving it as a cheating bitch using her body and mind games to get ahead is the real problem as it goes into the entire lack of integrity on the inside of gaming if you kooch can get you ahead over being actually good or useful at stuff. I have no sympathy for her on that level, but i don't think even that whore should have to put up with all the added abuses by a bunch of internet nobodies. I got fucked over by a whore like that which got me to exit the video game media doing reviews and stories last decade so I can't stand people like that as I used to love doing that stuff. Even now I have a friend who runs some gaming stuff that wants me to get back into the writing, but I just can't get my head around it again even after this long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    lack of integrity
    That sums it all up perfectly. But I guess it's a nasty part of human nature.

About all that personal stuff you said, if I may be so bold, I'd suggest not letting your past dictate your future. You went through a tough time, and you're better for it, so go out there and do what you want. But hell, what do I know? Just make sure the choices you make make you and those you love happy. That's all I can say.

I know I won't let a bunch of pricks ruin something I've loved all my life.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
    Here is an overview that will catch you up. This all blew up while I was on vacation so I missed a bunch of it too.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/26/v...e-to-assholes/

There's also a good Leigh Alexander piece about "gamer culture" being over. That's ok with me.
    Keep in mind this is the site ran by the guy who said he respects actual, legitimate terrorists who recently beheaded an American journalist more than anyone who calls themselves a "gamer."

All of this whining about "gamer culture" being over is because gamers finally put pressure on journalists to stop having conflicts of interest in the things that they cover. To put it in simple terms, journalists are really, REALLY mad at their audience for calling out behavior that was somehow acceptable and are pissy that they won't be able to both fund AND review games anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Some1 you're fine, there's no line even close to being crossed there. The fact that it happened directly I am over and have been a long time. But the thing is, the fact I see whoring (her style, paid reviews or you're fired stuff, etc) going on since that time I really just can't work on the will to bother again since it's all just back room (or in her case back door) deals. I haven't let any pricks ruin anything, I just don't associate with it, kind of like me not on NA anymore as the control freak telling people what to do with their own property shit got on my last nerve too. Just distance, relax, and things are nicer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll take Tanooki's advice about distancing myself. I'm in video gaming for the games, not for some corporate conglomerates and intolerant asses. I like games, and I'll keep playing them. Those corrupt journalists, developers and publishers can go ... themselves, for all I care.

I'm done with this supposed little "revolution". Reading deeper into it would really be pointless. I thank everybody who's pitched in on the thread. I know what I need to.

That is all. (signature)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Some1 View Post
    For the past week I've been hearing these news of a giant debacle about a Zoe Quinn sleeping with some guys and Phil Fish getting doxxed, but I can't for the life of me find anything that would actually introduce me into the topic - all the articles I found were for people who already knew what the deal was. I'm completely lost.
    Haven't really paid too much attention to this. Was she sleeping with the Fishes?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Some1 View Post
    I'll take Tanooki's advice about distancing myself. I'm in video gaming for the games, not for some corporate conglomerates and intolerant asses. I like games, and I'll keep playing them.
    Careful which forums you say that on, there has been a lot of "you're either with us or part of the problem" going on.
    Last edited by JSoup; 09-02-2014 at 04:33 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Really had no idea at all what this thing was about as I never heard about it before this thread, but now looking into it I at least found out what it's all about. There's a detailed description of the events of this huge mess as they happened on Know Your Meme. I'm still undecided if I care about any of this or not.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/quinnspiracy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Really had no idea at all what this thing was about as I never heard about it before this thread, but now looking into it I at least found out what it's all about. There's a detailed description of the events of this huge mess as they happened on Know Your Meme. I'm still undecided if I care about any of this or not.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/quinnspiracy
    Can someone explain why anyone should care about this? I didn't even know who Zoe Quinn was before this, and I haven't even heard about Depression Quest until this storm of bull shit. Here's what I was getting from all of this:

Headline: Chick sleeps with dudes behind boyfriends back to get publicity for indie game.

Why is this shocking news? Am I missing something?

Edit

OK, so after reading the first article posted here, I see now the headlines are:

Douchbags respond to Zoe Quinn poon usage by continuing to be dicks.

............why is this shocking news?
    Last edited by Zthun; 09-02-2014 at 01:03 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Initially, there was a slight reason to care in that she may have been fixing reviews.
    Once that was proven false, the reasons to care about this (unless you were directly involved) dropped to zero.
    Edit: Or was it proven false? I'm seeing other information now...
    Last edited by JSoup; 09-02-2014 at 04:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    ............why is this shocking news?
    I think it might be safe to say that feminist advocacy seems to have gotten kind of different over the last year or two.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Feminists/their defenders need to stop making this issue some sort of anti-feminist conspiracy to cover the fact that it's about corruption.

This shit is Payola, and that's sad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Careful which forums you say that on.
    Hah, like I care. I don't mind making a few enemies if that's what it takes to have an opinion. I could quote Churchill here, but that would just be tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    Why is this shocking news?
    I actually don't know. I made this thread 'cause I didn't want to be left in the dark. Then, seeing all the things going on, the corruption, the abuse, the ridiculous replies by certain people, not only to Zoe Quinn, but also to people like Sarkesian, made my quite angry. You do not just threaten to kill someone. I wrote that little rant, and then I realised it was kind of pointless. Like I've said, I'm done with it. TBH, I feel kind of silly.

In any case, I won't stand for discrimination and corruption in any industry.
    Last edited by Some1; 09-02-2014 at 09:42 AM.