Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "New 3DS" and "New 3DS XL" - Why (or Why Not) Will You Get One?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    What happened to Xenoblade?
    It was always planned for release in 2015 in Japan.

I don't even think it has been confirmed for Australia, although with the surprising success of the Wii version despite a reluctant Nintendo in some regions, I don't think there's much reason for concern.

That seems tacky to have their GB to GBC style ugpraded system and nothing to show for it.
    That's probably because this is viewed as much more of a minor upgrade, similar to the DSi (A system that people frequently forget had its own line of exclusive software thanks to having four times the memory of the standard DS line and a processor that had twice the clock speed, among other improvements).

Those that have mistakenly viewed this as Nintendo's next generation of handheld hardware really need look no further than the software situation to see that Nintendo obviously views this differently.

And again in true NOA dickery fashion again the US is being hung out to dry looking at that link you had there.
    Maybe they're waiting for a game to actually be ready that showcases the improvements that you're paying for when you upgrade?

As much as this is simply a system revision in the 3DS line rather than a successor, it still seems foolish to launch it without a title that actually takes advantage of it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-06-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well I was thinking more dickery on a grand scale of forcing out hardware before its time with nothing to back it up, but NOA gets my ire since they've been sticking it to their handheld consumers in relation to the PAL market since the GBA era and I'm kind of just tired of it. I really could care less if it even came to market if they don't release anything worth buying it over as the DSi was a big waste of money as far as I'm concerned as I hated I had nothing to show for it and the GBA slot was removed cutting out that usefulness as well. Like DSi this one well boosts the clock speed of the CPU and the RAM size as well, it's the GB-GBC DS-DSi jump again, but my concern is how they'll support it as I said a time ago. Will they give it a fair run like GBC, or shovel out like 4 games and some download only turds and call it a day.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'm waiting for a lot more games to be released before picking it up. I'm interested, but like you said, if it's supported like the DSi was, then I'll stick with my 3DS XL. The GBC got a decent amount of support, in Japan it got way more.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm actually wanting a 3DS very badly. Now I feel like I need to wait for the new model. No announced date though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It could come out anytime though.

Witness the lack of fanfare with what seems to be an ongoing European launch (In addition to what Club Nintendo has made available, pictures of the system box at retailers are appearing, with a street day presumably anytime now).

Another reason why it's pretty much nonsense to view this as anything but a revision, rather than Nintendo's next generation hardware. Not only would they not release something that only has last gen software available for it to play via backwards compatibility, but they wouldn't be releasing it in such a quiet and unspectacular manner if it was the successor to the 3DS line.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-07-2015 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I assume they have so much leftover stock (i.e. in terms of parts) that they are eager to avoid unnecessarily putting anyone off buying a 3DS for as long as possible. It might explain why there seem to be so many "limited editions" coming out. (I can't remember the DS or the GBA coming out in this many flavors.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Exactly which is why I'll fight as best as I can my desire to go out and snap it up right off. The thing is the price of entry for just a revision that could go the route of the DSi as far as unique game support goes is a fear for me as it'll be a waste. At the same time though I really did love the 3D and tolerated it for a couple of years but I gave up because anytime I moved my head it would go double vision and get my ass killed. This new one uses the interior camera to on the fly reposition the 3D so it doesn't do that and also widens the field of 3D vision too as it was very narrow on what we have now. That just isn't worth like $150 for me. I'd love to finally play Xenoblade but it's not worth the price of a system alone either. Ultimately I do wonder if it's just a DSi stop gap because they fear losing their own audience in Japan where so few console game anymore compared to handheld play due to their society and transit system as they're so on the go. They may have a real system due in 2016 or 2017 and this is just a clamp thrown on a bleeder so they don't bleed out and die.

My old thing of saying they merged both the console and handheld groups could play into their failures in making good hardware anymore the industry and gamers on the majority want could be behind this. Around 2016-17 is when they'd ideally like to retire the WiiU and pull an Old Yeller on that mess. The New 3DS could be a plug to keep the 3DS line strong against those continued losses and then they'll just do ONE system that can both be a portable and also a console into the TV too.

Given that news of looking into scaleable chips that'll work on a lower end for a portable and upper end for a console where the same game/game code will work on both but just display at less than ideal quality could be their way out. Make one (or technically two) systems kind of like a budget cpu (intel i3) PC with a medium video card, and then a bitching gaming PC (intel i7) with a fast CPU and a faster more capable version of the same GPU and they'd be good to go cutting costs and risks. It's like my new laptop I went with the top tier GPU (980) but could have got a less 8XX line chip, and with the CPU I got the lowest i7 possible but could have got one that was twice as fast but otherwise the same for nearly $900 more. They maybe doing this. Cheaper but same CPU/GPU on the portable, same but maxed CPU/GPU on the console so the code/output is the same but how it's perceived is better with the nicer specs on your TV versus the handheld.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Going off on a slight tangent, the only issue that bothers me when I consider the possibilities of a merger, is physical media.

I really hope that they don't abandon optical discs and go an all digital route just because Blu-Ray is unsuitable for handheld gaming. Sadly, there's not a viable replacement for Blu-Ray that offers similar capacity, at anything approaching a similar price.

So something will have to give somewhere if this scenario comes to pass.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-07-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

We have news, and later today when the Nintendo Direct airs, we will have even more news. The New 3DS, New 3DS XL, Majora's Mask 3D, and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate will all be going on sale in February when the New 3DS launches in North America. Be sure to tune in to today's Nintendo Direct at 9 A.M. Eastern Time/6 A.M. Pacific Time when Nintendo announces these things and much more. Hopefully someone will be able to update this thread with the new information as it happens or a little bit afterwards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hey hey that's a GOOD change. Word had it out of Japan the c-stick only worked with NEW games, but it works with old games that used the circlepad pro! That'll make Resident Evil a far better experience, Metal Gear 3 too.

Damn them, still no games other than Xenoblade, but I really do love the 3D on the thing but never use it as my hands move and the blur was death causing. :\ Maybe I could sell the XL I have after the fact to recoup the loss.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I should sell off the 3DS XL I have before the new system comes out, I've just been forgetting to do it.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

More details: Only the New 3DS XL has been announced for North America, and conspicuously not the regular New 3DS. My guess is that this is being done to get the most cash from early purchasers at the beginning and once the furor dies down, the regular New 3DS will be introduced at a lower price point. However, the release date for The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, some more games, and the new hardware is February 13th. The price for the New 3DS XL is $199.99. There are four styles available: red, black, and two special editions - one featuring Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, and one featuring The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

[iwata]Please, take a look.[/iwata]

[iwata]Thank you for direct-ly taking a look at this video. These new softwares will be available soon. Please understand.[/iwata]

Tanooki: Only some of the existing standard 3DS games shall support the C-stick. Some are programmed in such a way that they shall work without an update. Others shall require an update to add the functionality. And still others shall never have it added of course even if they did support the Circle Pad Pro (XL).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

The Japanese and European version doesn't come with an AC adapter and is sold separately. Seriously, how can they sell a system without the required part to run the system? Thankfully, Nintendo announced that it will be included with the US model.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hmmm well I have Ace Combat, had and would re-buy Resident Evil, and I do have Kid Icarus and those I know would work with that thing. No clue about MGS, that one may not work as you said. It will be interesting to see how things shake out. I'll take the black or red one, really not picky with those 2 colors, but it won't be until like March or April with Xenoblade as I really don't want to cash out my paypal over that. I want to see how it performs using other fanboy zero day buyers as guinea pigs.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Solar Panel Cover Plates TBA :-)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    The Japanese and European version doesn't come with an AC adapter and is sold separately. Seriously, how can they sell a system without the required part to run the system? Thankfully, Nintendo announced that it will be included with the US model.
    Not sure where you're getting your information, but it's been confirmed that the US version doesn't come with the AC adapter either.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/14/754...apter-warranty

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. Now I'm super glad I found a spare charger at the Goodwill last year.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Wow. Now I'm super glad I found a spare charger at the Goodwill last year.
    In fairness, it's the same AC adapter that Nintendo has been using on the DS series since the DSi, so unless this is your very first 3DS product, you probably already have one that will work. Still, it would be nice to have one included, considering every other consumer electronic device I can think of, including $10 burner cell phones, comes with one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sure I have, ONE, and it'll go back in the box to be sold with the red XL I have when the time comes in a couple of months or so. :\ It's just the principle of the matter is all. Perhaps next console generation they can sell their next console along with Sony and MS with no power cords and no usb cables to charge the systems or controllers. They can just bundle them in little blister packs for $20-30 at the counter as a required accessory.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lol, no AC adapter. Nintendo seems to think the "batteries not included" rule applies to all parts.