Thread: Anyone else diissapointed by The Last of Us?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone else diissapointed by The Last of Us?

Just finished The Last of US, it was an interesting game but nothing really revolutionary game play wise and I found the story disappoints almost as much as it impresses.

Was just wondering what others had thought of the game and here are some of my issues with it.

I found the game to be mean spirited - There's no choice in the matter either as everything is scripted for you. The main character Joel I found to be a dick from the very beginning and over and over again the developers show him to be a bad guy whether or not out of necessity and he end up being exactly what you thought he was at the end with no redeeming qualities.

And I'm not especially anti-violence (Love Boishock, The Devil's Rejects) but I found it a little relentless and unwarranted for such repetitive battles.

Completely broken autosave - Shouldn't Auto Save be helpful and not at total pain in the ass? At least 3 or 4 times during my play through when I died it teleported further into the level then where I had died, past all the guys who killed me. All my ammo would be gone that I used and all lootable bodies would despawn. At the Arcade part, if I tried going back it would re spawn the guards right on top of me when I crossed the scripted line where they start patrolling. At the Museum it went to a cut scene, despawned all my loot, teleported me to who the hell knows where by some window and saved my game.

Ladders, Planks and Pallets
    - completely unnecessary, a throwback to different genres and different times. Really took me out of the atmosphere of the game.

Story - I was so impressed by the games opening section that I called my brother over to play through again to show off. Only to then be surprised by a shockingly generic second section where you sneak around a quarantine Zone and then have to go to a gangsters hideout who double crossed you and kill him? Seriously? The rest of the way is pretty much filler until Joel gets impaled and the story picks up. That is, until the very end where all rational goes out the window with the Fireflies and Joel going at it. It reminds me of one of those Rom-Com's where all it would take is one simple sentence to clear up a whole misunderstanding (AKA they have Joel talks to Ellie).

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I dont have this game and havent really played it, but I have 3 different friends who have it, and Ive spent time watching each of them play it.
    I found the game very unimpressive. Theres alot of boring sneaking around. The graphics are ok but are very drab and colorless. Alot of dark and grey areas.
    I cant say I am disappointed because I diddnt buy the game, but after watching others play it I know its a game I wouldnt really like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

It wasn't the mind-blowing experience it was hyped to be. It's not surprising to me that the upcoming movie is just going to be an adaptation of the game as at times it seems like Naughty Dog seem almost pissed off that gameplay is getting in the way of the story, which is a shame as the gameplay can be very fun (albeit something we saw 18 years ago in Resident Evil, only highly polished).

I'm also gonna sound like a wuss here but I also found it incredibly unforgiving- the difficulty got dropped to easy after about 45 minutes and it stayed there for the rest of the game. Enemies- human and otherwise- being almost immune to bullets resulted in the mortal sin that is the enforced stealth section, which nearly put me off the game completely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So it's sorta weirdly like RE but with a working camera and controls? I never looked much into it because I had the PS3 model that gets bugged out into an infinite loop so it's useless. I never had a chance to get hyped and never would, so if I go in with low expectations other than a neat story it probably is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dont say that around the games are art people , they'll skewer your ass on a stick. Not really impressed by the last of us , we have had Half life 2 style scripted adventures for years now , I don't see how its any different from those games. A game with a story in real time? I have never seen that before.
    Last edited by Richter Belmount; 09-22-2014 at 09:23 PM.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

It appears I wasn't the first of us to say I've never played The Last of Us. lol
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I felt the same way, totally overrated for me. After this I promised myself I wouldnt get into the hype...then I bought Destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I fell into Destiny, not from hype. I ignore hype, made it a mission since the N64 era as a habit. I thought it looked generally good with a solid story and design setup but then I found that the stages are all more or less the same with a progressive story and the 'help' element of the active world is garbage since you really can't talk to people, setup guilds/clans and do missions together so you end up getting smoked or beat up a lot since some areas are set up with a team in mind which is dumb. I've not touched it in a week, I will though as the story seems nice but it has rough edges and deserves those 8's it gets, but I think the 7 and under group is unfair.

Last of Us, I wish I could have played it, but again I thought the story looked great and the mechanics seems more quiet but still naughtydog classic/uncharted type really. The original fat PS3's supposedly have some internal issue that pisses off (not all models, just my luck) the Last of Us game on disc. In the opening scenario, in the SUV, just beyond the burning house to the right, the game auto-saves. Save is broken, it gets stuck in a loop locking the game up for over a minute or two, then resets about 2min behind where it crashes. The only out is to turbo button tap the start button in/out of the menu to bypass it, but it just fails later next time and drops the graphics out of the game in the future area once you leave the alley so I had to take it back. I'll get the PS4 ver with all the goodies included and still have little expectation going in. Hype ruins things, ocarina of time on n64 I blacklisted online and in print in the 90s so it was unspoiled going into it back then and any 'hot' deemed game since I want I ignore too because the media turds like to ruin everything by one upping each other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played the game and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also had no issues with it except for one point where a ladder or something didn't spawn to continue. I shut the system off and went to bed, the next time I played it was there. I was only out about the 5 minutes or so where I couldn't figure out what to do.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dashopepper View Post

I found the game to be mean spirited - There's no choice in the matter either as everything is scripted for you. The main character Joel I found to be a dick from the very beginning and over and over again the developers show him to be a bad guy whether or not out of necessity and he end up being exactly what you thought he was at the end with no redeeming qualities.

And I'm not especially anti-violence (Love Boishock, The Devil's Rejects) but I found it a little relentless and unwarranted for such repetitive battles..
    I know what you mean Joel is an asshole. Basically will kill or seriously hurt anyone who crosses him. When you're exploring the quarantine zone and you walk up to two guys one of them swears at Joel and the other guy who knows him basically begs that Joel doesn't do anything to him because of that. No conscience whatsoever he'll do anything or kill anyone to ensure his own survival.

Not sure how many people noticed, but the story takes place after a one world government is established. They don't draw much attention to this but during the initial movie a tv reporter says the Fireflies are a revolutionary group that demand the return of all previous branches of government. Which means that during the cataclysm all governments and institutions merged into one entity that is controlling things and are probably responsible for the outbreak. The fireflies are the only group left fighting the OWG and Joel doesn't have any sympathy towards their cause at all during the whole game. He's only interested in his own survival and will murder anyone in his way who compromises his chances. Towards the end of the game he starts fighting the Fireflies when they are trying to get a cure for the disease ends up killing them all just to save one girl.

And yes the game is definitely nothing special, it gets boring and repetitive very quickly. I can't believe so many people say this is the best (or one of the) games on the ps3. The gameplay mechanics is boiled down to very simple stealth, shooting/combat and exploring parts all of which are essentially the same. There is very little to keep you entertained you basically want to pass the game parts as quickly as possible to get to the next movie part which are mostly depressing and unsatisfying. Very crap system of crafting several items, basically all weapons, very limited and boring and unimaginative skill upgrades. The game keeps you engaged on a very basic level and it's not much fun to play through. Basically only play it for the story and that's not very good either.

And if you don't consider yourself anti-violence, you'd be against it if it was happening to you. This flood of zombie/cataclysm/end of world/survival games we are getting now is to dehumanize people by showing such insane scenario choices in the game so that when a cataclysm happens for real people will do these things to each other and think it's ok for survival. All they have to do is create an outbreak of some disease which causes genetic defects which resemble how zombies look and act and then you will have a massive bloodbath because everyone is brainwashed by zombie movies and games. Creating diseases is not a new concept and with the current technology we have DNA can be easily manipulated to cause mutations. DNA is easily taken out from one organism and put into one of a completely different species. In the Last of Us the Cordyceps fungus causes this mutation but in reality it only affects bugs and doesn't cause them to turn into zombies. If a piece of DNA from a human pathogen was put into the fungus it might be able to grow inside humans.
    Last edited by revelator; 09-29-2014 at 06:50 AM.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by revelator View Post
    And if you don't consider yourself anti-violence, you'd be against it if it was happening to you. This flood of zombie/cataclysm/end of world/survival games we are getting now is to dehumanize people by showing such insane scenario choices in the game so that when a cataclysm happens for real people will do these things to each other and think it's ok for survival. All they have to do is create an outbreak of some disease which causes genetic defects which resemble how zombies look and act and then you will have a massive bloodbath because everyone is brainwashed by zombie movies and games. Creating diseases is not a new concept and with the current technology we have DNA can be easily manipulated to cause mutations. DNA is easily taken out from one organism and put into one of a completely different species. In the Last of Us the Cordyceps fungus causes this mutation but in reality it only affects bugs and doesn't cause them to turn into zombies. If a piece of DNA from a human pathogen was put into the fungus it might be able to grow inside humans.
    Here dude, I fashioned this neat-o hat for you. It's made out of tin foil and everything. Something about your post there tells me you'll love it.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Here dude, I fashioned this neat-o hat for you. It's made out of tin foil and everything. Something about your post there tells me you'll love it.
    Na but forreal, gimme one to.

Ninja edit: without getting to heavy into it, I generally felt like most people here due to me buying into the hype. My expectations going in were through the roof, no game made by man could have possibly lived up to my expectations do it was no wonder I ended up feeling this game was overrated and didn't deserve more than a 7.

That was the first time, around when the dlc was being released a friend i gameshare with was going to buy it so I thought I would replay the game again so I could refresh my memory. This time I knew exactly what to expect since all my expectations were grounded in reality and you know what? I fucking loved it. I LOVED this game the second time around, I picked up on things I missed the first time, stopped to appreciate certain scenes and moments, in short, I totally got why people would say this was a masterpiece,so much so I even went and picked it up again on ps4 to replay for a third time in higher resolution and better frame rate.

Tldr: if you check your expectations at the door, you may begin to understand why this game is so brilliant
    Last edited by LaughingMAN.S9; 10-01-2014 at 01:52 AM.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."