Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150728_234124.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	8218The Sega Ages 2500 series started off really strangely, with those sloppy 3D remakes of classic games. Toward the end of the line, though, there were just great, straight emulation/ports of Sega's legacy and some great compilations. This one, SDI and Quartet, tends to get swept aside and maligned for containing unimportant games. Even a site I really enjoy, HG101, was particularly dismissive of these two games, which Japanese fans apparently voted for to be included. When I bought this on day one, it was to play arcade Quartet, because it's fucking Quartet. I was unfamiliar with SDI. Or was I?

Turns out, I did know SDI, but I knew it as Global Defense for Master System. It's a one or two player shooter in which you control a defense satellite, alternating between horizontally scrolling stages and single screen defensive stages that aren't entirely unlike Missile Command. You move your satellite with the D-pad, and control a reticule with your right stick or a mouse, which is an enormous upgrade from the SMS version, in which you held down a button to move the reticule, but couldn't move both at once. This better simulates the arcade experience as well, as from what I've heard it used an interesting stick/trackball combo, though admittedly I've never seen one. It's a pretty nifty game when you get a feel for it, and it's immenently more playable than the SMS port.

Speaking of which, the SMS port is included as well. You can even select between the US and Japan versions, and the same goes for the arcade version. There is also an arrange version with different patterns included, and access to the arcade dip switch settings.

Quartet, though... God, I love Quartet. If you are unfamiliar with the game, it is probably most easily described as a side-scrolling Gauntlet, where up to 4 players romp through brief levels filled with power ups and monster generators, competing for points along the way, not unlike Zelda: Four Swords on Gamecube. Each level has a boss monster with the key to the exit, but exiting first nets you more points. There are jump boots, jet packs, and an assortment of guns that will have you cussing at you friends when they pick up your item of choice. It's long and awesome, and it was out in the US in arcades (or in my case, a 7-11). Again, you can pick your region or to play the two or four player version of the board.

The Master System version is again here, though it is a completely redesigned game. It now of course only supports two players, and is much shorter. The levels are now completely different, and are in my opinion more difficult, with bottomless pits and the like added in. Your continues are also limited in this version, making it more of a console experience. Both are good, though I much prefer the arcade 4-player insanity when I can get it together.

While these games tend to illicit little more than a shrug from most, I adore Quartet, and SDI is pretty cool and different. I also happen to really dig the '80s anime sci-fi cover art, with that color scheme you just don't see used these days. If you think it sounds kinda cool, you're probably going to find it's right up your alley, and it's not crazy expensive, as no one seems to care much about these two. I do.