Thread: Boss Fight Books (Books on Classic Video Games)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Boss Fight Books (Books on Classic Video Games)

Anybody read any of these? Apparently Boss Fight Books got started as a Kickstarter campaign that raised over 900% of its initial funding goal.

Anyway, here are the books. They are available in paperback ($15) and e-book ($5) formats. They can be ordered individually or as a group.

For Season One of Boss Fight Books, we teamed up with a diverse and exciting group of writers, including an actor, a researcher of Japanese culture, a game developer, a web developer, a novelist, and a game journalist. Jump into a series that has already found its way onto thousands of actual and digital bookshelves.

Order now and we will immediately send you each of our six launch titles:

EarthBound by Ken Baumann
    "[EarthBound is] a book that aims to mirror the segmented, bizarro structure of EarthBound, and it’s a book that succeeds." - BuzzFeed

Chrono Trigger by Michael P. Williams
    "If writing about video games had always been this good, we'd be having very difficult discussions about the medium right now." - Nintendo Life

ZZT by Anna Anthropy
    "Anthropy has set the gold standard for book-length studies of games with ZZT, and I would strongly encourage anyone even thinking about writing about games to start here." 9.8/10 - Paste

Galaga by Michael Kimball
    "True to form Boss Fight Books has put out yet another video game book that is so much deeper than anything created in pixels ... Empty out your sack of quarters and go pick up a copy of this Michael Kimball’s Galaga. You will know you are in the hands of a master." - Cobalt Review

Jagged Alliance 2 by Darius Kazemi
    “Jagged Alliance 2 has the perfect guide in Darius Kazemi.” - Rob Zacny

Super Mario Bros. 2 by Jon Irwin
    Foreword by Howard Phillips the Game Master
    "Super Mario Bros. 2 shines a much-needed light on a game whose significance has rarely felt fully understood ... This is required reading for game historians." - Nintendo Life
    I'd like to get the SMB2 one.

By the way, I understand the meaning behind all of the books' cover images except the Chrono Trigger one. Now I own two copies of Chrono Trigger but I haven't finished the game yet. So if you would, without being too spoiler-y, what does a porcupine/hedgehog have to do with CT?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post

By the way, I understand the meaning behind all of the books' cover images except the Chrono Trigger one. Now I own two copies of Chrono Trigger but I haven't finished the game yet. So if you would, without being too spoiler-y, what does a porcupine/hedgehog have to do with CT?
    I dont think a hedghog has anything significance to Chrono, but my first guess of why he would be on the book is because he looks alot like lavos spawn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Indeed, the hedgehog bears a striking resemblance to Lavos. Very clever.

Some of these turned up in the last Storybundle, but I could not quite bring myself to buy, partly because I have a bunch of other video game books from previous StoryBundles that I never got around to reading. Also, I'm just a teensy bit skeptical as to whether someone can really say anything about the likes of Chrono Trigger that hasn't already been said several dozen times over.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I can't speak for the other books, but what I've read of the SMB2 book is pretty good. Granted, that's just like six pages, but it's still good stuff nonetheless.