Thread: Why isn't Redbox renting PS4 and XB1 games ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Why isn't Redbox renting PS4 and XB1 games ?

Redbox, WTF ?

It's been like almost a full year since these two systems have released, and I still can't rent the games locally anywhere. None of my redbox machines have it. Has anybody seen any PS4 or XB1 games available for rent at their local redbox machine ?

I heard they were "test marketing" it at some Denver area suburbs, but why no national roll out ? It really sucks, because I'd like a place locally that I could go to, and just rent the game on the spot. I know about GameFly, but for me, GameFly has always really sucked.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Redbox, WTF ?

It's been like almost a full year since these two systems have released, and I still can't rent the games locally anywhere. None of my redbox machines have it. Has anybody seen any PS4 or XB1 games available for rent at their local redbox machine ?

I heard they were "test marketing" it at some Denver area suburbs, but why no national roll out ? It really sucks, because I'd like a place locally that I could go to, and just rent the game on the spot. I know about GameFly, but for me, GameFly has always really sucked.
    They do but its a lot more regional. Only some of the redboxes near me have ps4 games while others don't, alot of times I have to really travel out of my way to get 1 game on the only machine that has it like I did with mlb the show and last of us remaster
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I reckon it's a combination of games tending to retail for two or three times the price of a DVD or Blu-Ray, a limited audience such that the space in the machine is better used by DVDs and Blu-Rays, and perhaps good old fashioned pressure from Microsoft and Sony.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Redbox, WTF ?

Not to completely derail this thread, but why does GameFly suck? I would think GameFly is much more convenient than RedBox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    Not to completely derail this thread, but why does GameFly suck? I would think GameFly is much more convenient than RedBox.

GameFly sucks for many reasons. Convenience is relative. Sure, the games arrive in your mailbox, so how could something be more convenient than that ?

Well, good luck getting the actual game that you are hoping to get. The only way to actually get the game you really want from GameFly, is to put only that game in your queue, and leave everything else empty and just wait and wait and wait. Then, when you finally get that game, and get bored of it after two days, you ship it back, but it takes a week for the thing to get back to GameFly, and then a few more days for something else to get shipped out, and is the other game coming out to you something that you actually want, or is it something you're settling for? It just seems that with GameFly, I'm paying this monthly fee, which becomes a daily fee if you break it down that way, and many of the days are transit days, where I have nothing to show for my payment. Transit days, or waiting for something to be available days. So how many days of the actual month do you actually have a game that you really want ? That's the real question with GameFly.

With RedBox, I can have a Tuesday and Wednesday off work, and I can do this...

1. Arrive at my grocery store (with the two RedBox machines) at like 8am in the morning, after dropping my kid off at school.
    2. Rent a game that I've really been wanting to check out
    3. play the game all damn day and night
    4. wake up in the morning, and play all damn day and night up until about 8:30pm
    5. Drive over to the Grocery store and return the game prior to 9pm.

I can get about 12 hours with a game (easily), before needing to return it, if I have two days off work in a row.

The fee is $2. I know exactly what I'm getting, for exactly what I'm paying for. With GameFly, it's a bunch of if's and's and buts... You really don't know what the heck you're paying for each month.
    Last edited by WCP; 10-10-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

GameFly sucks for many reasons. Convenience is relative. Sure, the games arrive in your mailbox, so how could something be more convenient than that ?

Well, good luck getting the actual game that you are hoping to get. The only way to actually get the game you really want from GameFly, is to put only that game in your queue, and leave everything else empty and just wait and wait and wait. Then, when you finally get that game, and get bored of it after two days, you ship it back, but it takes a week for the thing to get back to GameFly, and then a few more days for something else to get shipped out, and is the other game coming out to you something that you actually want, or is it something you're settling for? It just seems that with GameFly, I'm paying this monthly fee, which becomes a daily fee if you break it down that way, and many of the days are transit days, where I have nothing to show for my payment. Transit days, or waiting for something to be available days. So how many days of the actual month do you actually have a game that you really want ? That's the real question with GameFly.

With RedBox, I can have a Tuesday and Wednesday off work, and I can do this...

1. Arrive at my grocery store (with the two RedBox machines) at like 8am in the morning, after dropping my kid off at school.
    2. Rent a game that I've really been wanting to check out
    3. play the game all damn day and night
    4. wake up in the morning, and play all damn day and night up until about 8:30pm
    5. Drive over to the Grocery store and return the game prior to 9pm.

I can get about 12 hours with a game (easily), before needing to return it, if I have two days off work in a row.

The fee is $2. I know exactly what I'm getting, for exactly what I'm paying for. With Redbox, it's a bunch of if's and's and buts... You really don't know what the heck you're paying for each month.
    I don't rent from Redbox, but as a former Gamefly subscriber I agree 100%.

I quit my service shortly after being sent A. The wrong game, and then followed up with B. a non working game. Couple that with the long transit times and crap-shoot queue I really felt like I was wasting my money.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my area there are plenty of Redboxes with PS4 and X1 games. Also never had a problem with Gamefly, but of course I've had a game for about 6 months now lol. And another thing on Redbox, have they fix it where you can't steal games/movies? Plenty of times I rented something from them and either get a piece of paper or just a blank cdr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by justfadeaway View Post
    In my area there are plenty of Redboxes with PS4 and X1 games. Also never had a problem with Gamefly, but of course I've had a game for about 6 months now lol. And another thing on Redbox, have they fix it where you can't steal games/movies? Plenty of times I rented something from them and either get a piece of paper or just a blank cdr.
    Are you near Denver ?

I've only heard of them being in the Denver area.

Why they haven't expanded in near a year is beyond me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you near Denver ?

I've only heard of them being in the Denver area.

Why they haven't expanded in near a year is beyond me.
    Nope in the Phoenix area