Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Console Wars SNES vs. Sega Genesis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Console Wars SNES vs. Sega Genesis

I've watched the Console Wars episodes to help decide between the two for multi-platform games such as Earthworm Jim:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Rkx4RVff8

I remember some DigitPress threads that covered the same territory. Can anyone point me to some of the best of these threads? And, of course, provide your own opinions.
    Last edited by Casati; 10-09-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you like arcade style games get the Genesis. If you like RPG games, Mario, Zelda, etc get SNES. But really why not get both? The war has long been over and they are cheap enough. Thhe Genesis games are considerably cheaper and often come complete where as with SNES games you will need deeper pockets. There are some SNES gems though that are affordable still however.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I already have many games for both consoles. I'm just looking for opinions on multi-platform games which I tend to hold off on buying since I don't want to buy them for both consoles. I'm not into complete collections or duplicates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well with multiplatform you have to look at it from the team who did it and if they were lazy and ported over a weaker Genesis game to the SNES without making any accomodation for the differing audio visual capabilities. Take a game look Boogerman, looks great on Genesis, but the port was quick to the SNES and it's just rough and terrible but gameplay wise is just as tight. Then you get the censorship middle ground of sweaty Immortal Kombat SNES vs MK1 on Genesis where the SNES looks/sounds better, but is hacked to bits, so the Sega wins on that. If censorshop is dropped and teams work from the ground up, again using MK but MK2 this time you see a huge differing situation where the SNES trumps it. And finally some games used a license but got entirely different titles so personal taste wins out...Aladdin is the best example there as they're nothing alike but both fantastic.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Casati View Post
    I've watched the Console Wars episodes to help decide between the two for multi-platform games such as Earthworm Jim:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Rkx4RVff8.
    Keep an open mind for other reviewers. There's some things these guys still miss(like extra frames of animation in Genesis EWJ, even when they show animations side by side, or extra graphics/animations in Genesis Street Fighter II', again noticeable when they show the games running side by side). For example I've seen reviews point out how badly Falcom messed up the SNES version of Ys III, we're talking the worst sound and graphics of any 16-bit version, and they still awarded it to the SNES because they're hung up on "SNES just looks and sounds better."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
    Keep an open mind for other reviewers. There's some things these guys still miss
    Um, yeah, I started this thread to get other opinions though I like their reviews of the limited games covered because they have multiple things they look at, graphics, presentation, sound and gameplay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    And finally some games used a license but got entirely different titles so personal taste wins out...Aladdin is the best example there as they're nothing alike but both fantastic.
    Aladdin is one of the few titles that I'd probably get for both consoles. I don't have a desire to expand my video game catalog greatly by getting the same titles for both consoles. I already have a lot of video games, and just want to pick up some quality games here and there before they get too expensive as prices are starting to escalate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have YS3, but damn does it leave a bad taste with those shitty new scenes drawn in gutting out the original japanese 'anime' style art. There really was no excuse. Use of audio and color I think it's nicer, but the style changes just sucked hard.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Well with multiplatform you have to look at it from the team who did it and if they were lazy and ported over a weaker Genesis game to the SNES without making any accomodation for the differing audio visual capabilities. Take a game look Boogerman, looks great on Genesis, but the port was quick to the SNES and it's just rough and terrible but gameplay wise is just as tight. Then you get the censorship middle ground of sweaty Immortal Kombat SNES vs MK1 on Genesis where the SNES looks/sounds better, but is hacked to bits, so the Sega wins on that. If censorshop is dropped and teams work from the ground up, again using MK but MK2 this time you see a huge differing situation where the SNES trumps it. And finally some games used a license but got entirely different titles so personal taste wins out...Aladdin is the best example there as they're nothing alike but both fantastic.
    This was what I was going to post. Well said.

That was definitely an area when multiplatform considerations were not cut and dried. There's no hard and fast rule, like "action games are always better on Genesis," they were just as good on SNES, but sometimes a game was a bad port to one or the other system.
    Last edited by Gentlegamer; 10-09-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Which console has the best Boogerman?

Insert Coin (Level 0) HardcoreOtaku's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by HardcoreOtaku; 02-27-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreOtaku View Post
    if you like sports games pick the Genesis/Mega Drive but for all other genre of games the SNES/Super Famicom wins.
    That's a dumb comment.
    That sentiment may have held some ground back in 1994. But now through the broader awareness provided by the World Wide Web, only an ignoramus would draw such a conclusion.

Insert Coin (Level 0) HardcoreOtaku's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by HardcoreOtaku; 02-27-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For those that haven't watched any of the YouTube Console Wars videos, it's not to discuss which console is better, but which has the better version for particular multi-platform games. I started this thread to discuss that. There's another thread for debating which of the two is the best console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The truth hurts.
    Best baseball games of the gen: Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB and Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run (SNES exclusives)
    Best version of Madden 94: SNES
    Best version of NBA Jam/NBA Jam TE: SNES
    Best version of Tecmo Super Bowl and Tecmo Super Bowl III: SNES
    Best version of NBA Live 96: SNES

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Best baseball games of the gen: Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB and Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run (SNES exclusives)
    Idk, NHL '93 on Genesis was a ton of fun, I spent a lot of time as a kid playing that. '94 seems to be the year everyone really loves today, but how much different can it really be? It's hockey.

I have both systems, I don't really care that much about getting the version with slightly better graphics on one system, if I see a game I want on SNES that's also available on Genesis, I'm just gonna get it. I don't need to do research on which version of the game is superior.

One thing u could consider, is what system do u prefer to play? I'm like that with 6th gen games, I prefer the PS2, so I'll pick up most multi-platform stuff for the PS2 and try just to get exclusives on Xbox and Gamecube. I still have lotsa multiplatform games for all 3 systems tho, and at the end of the day, I really don't care.

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Madden was better on the Genesis. As was the entire NHL series. The SNES versions of the NHL games were riddled with slowdown. The SNES versions are actually missing frames of animation when compared to the Genesis.

I gotta respectfully disagree on the Ken Griffey games. The World Series Sega games were fantastic! Plus you had real players.

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought the AVGN videos on SNES Vs Genesis were good.
    Part 1
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fb73kHBAirU
    Part 2
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o_y3waeqxU8

But to compare the consoles really I think you must include the library of games from all regions they were released in, so this includes Super Famicom and Mega Drive.

Anyways at the end the day if you like sports games pick the Genesis/Mega Drive but for all other genre of games the SNES/Super Famicom wins.
    It's apparent just watching those AVGN videos regarding SNES vs Genesis that James is pretty blind to the Genesis library and is a Nintendo fanboy at heart.

And I gotta agree with Koa Zo your comment about all other genres on the SNES being better is pretty ignorant.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Thunder Force III beats Thunder Spirits any day.