Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Console Wars SNES vs. Sega Genesis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by genesisguy View Post
    Madden was better on the Genesis. As was the entire NHL series. The SNES versions of the NHL games were riddled with slowdown. The SNES versions are actually missing frames of animation when compared to the Genesis.

I gotta respectfully disagree on the Ken Griffey games. The World Series Sega games were fantastic! Plus you had real players.
    The Genesis controller matches better with the older Maddens' three-window passing. On the other hand, the SNES Madden '94 apparently has a lot more graphical details/presentation, from what I've seen on YouTube. I only own the Genesis version but will try the SNES since it's cheap.

The first Griffey has the best graphics of any 16-bit baseball game, and the player names could easily be changed to their real names with a little research, but the gameplay is flawed because even the best pitchers are lucky to strikeout one or two batters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Casati View Post
    The Genesis controller matches better with the older Maddens' three-window passing. On the other hand, the SNES Madden '94 apparently has a lot more graphical details/presentation, from what I've seen on YouTube. I only own the Genesis version but will try the SNES since it's cheap.
    Here's a comparison from sega-16: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post675723

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That griffey game itself was topped with Winning Run out two years later and that one did have the players names and teams proper, also if you knocked out a full season would unlock the two new expansions then the Rays and Diamondbacks. That one I really feel was the tops of the baseball SNES releases. I can't say much for Sega, Tommy Lasorda was good for when it popped up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    That griffey game itself was topped with Winning Run out two years later and that one did have the players names and teams proper, also if you knocked out a full season would unlock the two new expansions then the Rays and Diamondbacks. That one I really feel was the tops of the baseball SNES releases. I can't say much for Sega, Tommy Lasorda was good for when it popped up.
    I've played both of them lately, and I'm fairly sure the Winning Run game has only Griffey named (and the names can't be edited) although the other players are based on real players like the earlier game. Although Winning Run has advanced graphics for the console, I still prefer the overall presentation, graphics details and arcade style of Griffey MLB. Winning Run has more realistic pitching/batting though. I agree the Sega Genesis baseball wasn't too good, Sports Talk being one of the better ones.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd rather play NHL '94 then a modern hockey game cuz u can't play as Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux in 2014.

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys have mentioned Tony Lasorda and Sports Talk baseball. Have you tried the later games? World Series Baseball, Triple Play '96, RBI '94 was an older one but that's pretty good. It's been awhile since I played the Griffey games but did they have the stadiums right? Sounds so basic now but remember back to playing those games in the 90s and it was always a plus when the game had the correct stadiums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    matt_average

If I wasn't playing Winning Run, it was Hardball '95 on the Genesis. That game rocked.
    Last edited by Darkwing; 10-23-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You guys have mentioned Tony Lasorda and Sports Talk baseball. Have you tried the later games? World Series Baseball, Triple Play '96, RBI '94 was an older one but that's pretty good. It's been awhile since I played the Griffey games but did they have the stadiums right? Sounds so basic now but remember back to playing those games in the 90s and it was always a plus when the game had the correct stadiums.
    I actually have not gotten around to trying either World Series or Triple Play although I've intended to. RBI 94 had a good soundtrack, but I prefer RBI 4 for its better gameplay and Super RBI on the SNES. Griffey MLB did have the actual stadium designs such as the building behind right field in Baltimore, and I think overall very good graphic presentation for the time. Winning Run I believe has the stadiums, but from what I'm recalling, they're somewhat generic, at least the homerun cut-scene anyways. Winning Run graphics are almost like a Playstation game though.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

All right, here is a totally fair, objective, totally not silly in any way comparison.

Game that freaked me out as a child

Sega had Ecco the Dolphin.
    Super Nintendo... never really scared me.

WINNER: Sega.

Respect for gaming history

In Scooby Doo Mystery for the Sega Genesis, there's a point where you're asked for a magic word, and you can choose "Xyzzy" from the list. Yes, a freaking Sega Genesis game aimed at kids who probably were too young to get the reference, had a Colossal Cave Adventure reference. It's the correct answer, to boot.

The only gaming references the SNES has are in sequels, and only to their immediate predecessors.

WINNER: Sega

Representation of Literature

The SNES had a Lord of the Rings game. It's top-view and plays like Legend of Zelda, except... it blows. You can't even leave the Shire (or at least, can't get Sam to come with you at any rate) until you go through a cave full of similar-looking chambers looking for the Gaffer's glasses to give to him. This alone raises so many questions. What's worse is there was a perfectly good PC game by the same company, why not just make a console adaptation of that instead of an all new (and shitty) game?

By contrast, the Sega Genesis had Dune: the Battle for Arrakis and the Sega CD had the original Dune, both actually playable console ports of good computer games.

The "I always wanted that" award

Sega had a cool CD add-on which I wanted even though it was a flop. Sega also came out with an official portable Genesis whereas the SNES had to wait for some company in Hong Kong to make unlicensed ones.

.... I just felt there needed to be some originality and outside-the-box thinking in these kinds of arguments, is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just played the Sega Genesis Top Gear 2 today, and watched the SNES version on YouTube. I actually think I like the Genesis music soundtrack better, and don't really care that you can't hear the engine or brakes. The SNES music sounds more disco-ee and doesn't have as good keyboard riffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

In my opinion both.

I think if you relegate yourself to one or the other you're doing yourself a huge disservice. I think they're both great consoles that provide very different experiences in a lot of cases. When it comes to cross platform games, some were better on the Genesis and some were better on the SNES.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    In my opinion both.

I think if you relegate yourself to one or the other you're doing yourself a huge disservice. I think they're both great consoles that provide very different experiences in a lot of cases.
    Of course. They're cheap consoles so why not?

When it comes to cross platform games, some were better on the Genesis and some were better on the SNES.
    Bingo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreOtaku View Post

Anyways at the end the day if you like sports games pick the Genesis/Mega Drive but for all other genre of games the SNES/Super Famicom wins.
    SNES is one of the greatest systems of all time to me, but your statement is false. I am saying this as a person who owns all 3 16 bit systems aka Snes, Genesis, and the TG-16.

Your statement is false because the Genesis actually is a stronger Shoot'em up system.

SNES is a great rpg, and great platform system, but not Shoot'em ups on the SNES isn't as good as the genesis to me as a whole although there is some shoot'em ups for the SNES that I enjoy like Space Megaforce.

My rule of thumb for the 16 bit era is you need all 3 systems to get the experience of the era because each system does have its flaws in its game libraries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The SNES shooter issue is a highly questionable debate among people and their personal tastes, it's not so much factual like how sports games were handled better or RPGs were handled better on one or the other. The Genesis seems to get the appreciation because it has had a louder fan base of what is accepted as the best of the shooters on the system. The SNES really is no slouch, but it comes down to what you like in the end as it isn't in any short supply of them that are anywhere from decent to fantastic. If you throw the SFC into the equation it slides even much higher in the plus category factoring in what we got screwed out of here.

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    SNES is one of the greatest systems of all time to me, but your statement is false. I am saying this as a person who owns all 3 16 bit systems aka Snes, Genesis, and the TG-16.

Your statement is false because the Genesis actually is a stronger Shoot'em up system.

SNES is a great rpg, and great platform system, but not Shoot'em ups on the SNES isn't as good as the genesis to me as a whole although there is some shoot'em ups for the SNES that I enjoy like Space Megaforce.

My rule of thumb for the 16 bit era is you need all 3 systems to get the experience of the era because each system does have its flaws in its game libraries.
    I agree with you on the Genesis having the stronger library of shoot'em up games.
    The SNES shoot'em up library is not only weaker but the actual slow down issues of the SNES plague a vast majority of the shoot'em ups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The SNES shoot'em up library is not only weaker but the actual slow down issues of the SNES plague a vast majority of the shoot'em ups.
    Gradius III isn't the vast majority of SNES shooters.

Try playing Space Megaforce (Super Aleste), Biometal, R-Type 3, Aero Fighters, and Rendering Ranger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

See that's the tired argument Sega fans use for Genesis shooters, gross SNES slowdown -- ie: Gradius, because Gradius III is the only shooter on the system other than Space Megaforce(Super Aleste) which can't be ignored. No need to discuss many others like Axelay, Aerofighters, Blazeon, Darius Twin, Choplifter 3, Bio Metal, Phalanx, R-Type III, Raiden, (technically both) Smash TV and Total Carnage, Strike Gunner, Super EDF, Super R-TYpe, Firepower 2000, or UN Squadron among many of the US shooters. Thunder Spirits often gets singled out since the Genesis has that series. There's also a nice selection of Japanese stuff to import too with 3 Parodius and 2 Twinbee games, Spriggan, SDF Macross, Sonic Wings 2(sequel to aerofighters), Marchen Adventure Cotton 100%, Dezaemon, Caravan Shooting Collection, and there are others from both sides of the ocean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    See that's the tired argument Sega fans use for Genesis shooters, gross SNES slowdown -- ie: Gradius, because Gradius III is the only shooter on the system other than Space Megaforce(Super Aleste) which can't be ignored.
    I hope you don't try to lump into the group that claims Gradius III is the only shooter the system otheran Space Megaforce which can't be ignored. I only mentioned one shooter I for a reason for the SNES. I don't like listing the amount games I like unless I am asked and I don't like brag about the total of games I own for each system.

If you ask me what are my favorite SNES shooters, I would say Axley, Space Megaforce, Gokujou Parodius, R-Type III and Thunder Spirits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It was a general statement due to the amount of chest thump Sega tools for two decades now talking how the SNES doesn't have shooters, or that they're slow with graphical drop out like Gradius was the only game. It really isn't true as there are a lot on the SNES, even more with SFC factored in, but really there are many and many that are good to great.

Insert Coin (Level 0) HardcoreOtaku's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by HardcoreOtaku; 02-27-2017 at 08:15 PM.