Thread: Has Gamestop cleared out all the Wii Games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Has Gamestop cleared out all the Wii Games?

I saw a few vids on youtube stating that they have already marked the prices extremely low to around 10 dollars or less. Has this happened in your area? I'm still waiting for this to happen as the prices are still kind of high for my liking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Other than some remaining new content (A lot of GameStop's around me still have opened, but "new", copies of Gunblade NY and LA Machine Guns for $20), some of the most recent 3rd party content like the last Tiger Woods golf game or two, most 1st party classics like Super Mario Galaxy 2, and a few other releases like Fragile Dreams, it's pretty much $10 and under.

I've cleared a lot of my Wii want list this year and have averaged about $4 a game for the 25 games or so that I've added (My first used Wii purchases since the first 75 or so that I've bought since buying a Wii in 2007 ended up all being bought sealed, since I don't buy used if I'm just saving 2 or 3 bucks). And about 20 of those had original cases, manuals, and inserts. I have about five, mostly in PS2 cases, that will need new cases and replacement inserts though.

Unless you're on the hunt for games like Skyward Sword, chances are it will be under $10. For 1st party, expect $20 to as high as $50 or so for used copies with just rare exceptions (Excitetruck and Excitebot ran me $5 or so combined when I recently bought them, for an example of a 1st party deal).

I'm sure I'll add a few games here and there in the coming years, but I'm basically done with my Wii collection.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-12-2014 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you have any suggestions on any games that werent blockbusters that were under the radar?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here's a list of games that flew under the radar and don't cost very much.

-Vertigo
    -Minicopter: Adventure Flight
    -Battleship (Reminds me of Super Battleship for the Genesis/SNES)
    -Emergency Heroes
    -Data East Arcade Classics
    -GT Pro (Probably not for most, but as a fan of the GBA games, I enjoyed this 3D take)
    -Maximum Racing: GP Classic Racing (Looks like shovelware, but I ended up enjoying it)
    -Sky Crawlers Innocent Aces
    -Super PickUps
    -TrackMania
    -GTI Club
    -Cruis'n
    -Target: Terror
    -Mercury Meltdown Revolution
    -Mystery Case Files
    -Real Heroes: Firefighter
    -Wii Play (Has a poor reputation, but I thought the tank minigame made it worthwhile)
    -Marble Saga: Kororinpa & Kororinpa: Marble Mania
    -Indianapolis 500 Legends

None really qualify as "hidden gems". They're just decent, but easily missed games that don't cost very much to acquire.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-12-2014 at 11:08 PM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Not sure if it's a hidden gem, but Rooms by Hudson was a pretty neat game. Also, the remake of A Boy and His Blob was adorable. I haven't seen a game that conveyed that sense of innocence to me in... probably ever. Gunblade NY/LA Machine Guns was a cool compilation of Sega light gun arcade games, too, and can be had for a song. The game I played the most, though, was Fortune Street, though it's hardly hidden, what with Mario being in it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wii sections down to one small bin at the gamestop closest to me, 95% cheap sports/shovelware games & overpriced heavily used 1st party titles.

Gamestop's around me had gamecube games as recently as 2-3 years ago so I'm sorta surprised they're dumping wii games with how poorly the wiiU's been selling.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drunk3nj3sus View Post
    Wii sections down to one small bin at the gamestop closest to me, 95% cheap sports/shovelware games & overpriced heavily used 1st party titles.

Gamestop's around me had gamecube games as recently as 2-3 years ago so I'm sorta surprised they're dumping wii games with how poorly the wiiU's been selling.
    GameStop has almost no relevance to serious gamers, except as an alternate source for new releases. Occasionally you'll find a good deal, but they expect you to pay high prices for scratched disc-only games and have the nerve to throw out the boxes and manuals when liquidating their stuff since they don't give a shit about collectors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Maybe part of them quickly clearing out the Wii stuff is that they've lost total faith in Nintendo to move product so they're trying to give them the smallest shelf space possible leaving more room for all the new and last gen system games from the other guys. The only thing I think they probably at Gamestop like at this rate from them would be the 3DS at this rate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My local Gamestop still has all their boxed used Wii games. And a tiny pile of New Wii games (mostly picked over, with faded price tags). No sales on Wii stuff anwwhere.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Sports Club View Post
    GameStop has almost no relevance to serious gamers, except as an alternate source for new releases. Occasionally you'll find a good deal, but they expect you to pay high prices for scratched disc-only games and have the nerve to throw out the boxes and manuals when liquidating their stuff since they don't give a shit about collectors.
    Yeah I browse there if my girls shopping but besides that I only go there for sealed new releases. It still baffles me how much they try to charge for "used" games that look like they won't even work, especially when you know they probably only paid $2 or so for the game. I've got burnt a few times buying used games without checking out the disc I'm guessing they don't even bother to test any games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    My local Gamestop still has all their boxed used Wii games. And a tiny pile of New Wii games (mostly picked over, with faded price tags). No sales on Wii stuff anwwhere.
    Same, there are tons of Wii releases left for me here as well. I continually check them out and grab the odd titles that looks good, most stuff is normally complete and cheap cheap cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Same, there are tons of Wii releases left for me here as well. I continually check them out and grab the odd titles that looks good, most stuff is normally complete and cheap cheap cheap.
    Indeed. I'm currently waffling over a $10 copy of Monter Hunter Tri. I really should get it. But I don't know if Monster Hunter is for me.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You probably won't find copies of Zack & Wiki or Rhythm Heaven Fever, but they're pretty solid. And of course there's the likes of Madworld and Trauma Team.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Now is the time to start seeking out Wii titles from yard sales and thrift stores, you can get plenty of titles for $5 or less. $10 is a bit too high for Wii titles, at least to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Now is the time to start seeking out Wii titles from yard sales and thrift stores, you can get plenty of titles for $5 or less. $10 is a bit too high for Wii titles, at least to me.
    Exactly why I want to start picking these up, I just know sooner or later all these are going to go extremely high. Unfortunately thrift stores usually just carry sports titles and shovelware like Bratz or ICarly and then still those are stupidly priced. The only good find I got was Monster Hunter for $8. Its too bad places like Blockbuster or an independent video stores don't exist much. They would probably blow them out just to get rid of it.