Thread: Where do you place your console?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Where do you place your console?

One of my 360s got the RROD the other day Ive yet still got to take the disc out, Im positive is because I kept in a confined place. Its been there for quite awhile so I just ignored the location. I got a PS4 a month ago and its pretty much in the same entertainment unit but with a little more space. Ive played it and the fan has gone loud on numerous occasions. After what happened with my 360 I Havent played it and I literally have no space unless I switch my PS3 to its spot and have the PS4 out in the open. Funny thing is the Wii U is always quiet and I read you only need 10cm for every side that gives out air or whatever. So Im pretty much in a bind here.

Where do you keep your consoles and how much room do you leave for circulation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I keep the PS4 and WiiU kind of to the right and mostly behind the TV just because I have a wider/deeper platform to work with. The PS4 sits flat, the WiiU standing on top of it's non-glossy right top side of it. The PS4 should never get a loud fan if it's ventilated properly as mine is silent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    One of my 360s got the RROD the other day Ive yet still got to take the disc out, Im positive is because I kept in a confined place. Its been there for quite awhile so I just ignored the location. I got a PS4 a month ago and its pretty much in the same entertainment unit but with a little more space. Ive played it and the fan has gone loud on numerous occasions. After what happened with my 360 I Havent played it and I literally have no space unless I switch my PS3 to its spot and have the PS4 out in the open. Funny thing is the Wii U is always quiet and I read you only need 10cm for every side that gives out air or whatever. So Im pretty much in a bind here.

Where do you keep your consoles and how much room do you leave for circulation?
    I keep my consoles in a confined shelf and I've never had any problems. Is this an early 360 model?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its a charcoal grey one, it came with Kung fu Panda, so whenever that movie came out (2008). So it looks like the first ones that came out. The other one I have is the red one that came with Resident Evil 5. So theyre both from 2008.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

One thing I like to do with the modern day consoles, is I will take about 10 nickels, and wrap them in electrical tape. I do that 4 times, and then I put one of them on the bottom of each "foot" under the console.

What this does, is it raises the console up from the ground an extra 1 1/2 inches or so. This allows more air-flow under the console, and it's helped me out quite a bit in keeping my modern day consoles from not dying as much. I also try to make sure there is about 6 inches of space surrounding the console on each side to let it breathe a bit.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    One thing I like to do with the modern day consoles, is I will take about 10 nickels, and wrap them in electrical tape. I do that 4 times, and then I put one of them on the bottom of each "foot" under the console.

What this does, is it raises the console up from the ground an extra 1 1/2 inches or so. This allows more air-flow under the console, and it's helped me out quite a bit in keeping my modern day consoles from not dying as much. I also try to make sure there is about 6 inches of space surrounding the console on each side to let it breathe a bit.
    Wouldn't it make the system just high enough that if you bumped it, it would fall and damage the console while running?

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

I keep mine wrapped in a warm blanket inside of an oven with the thermostat on 90, never had a problem
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

All my consoles no matter of what vintage or placed on shelving next to the TV's where they remain hooked up and ready to play all the time. They are all placed in a way that allows constant air flow around them plus my game room is in the basement so the temperature is a couple degrees cooler than the rest of the house to aid in the cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    I keep mine wrapped in a warm blanket inside of an oven with the thermostat on 90, never had a problem
    Finally, someone with common sense....

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Never had any issues here.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree OP, my PS4 gets loud as all hell when I play it. At first, I was worried. Now, I don't really care. However, it doesn't like to sit on wood very much, I can tell you that...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I would imagine glass = good, wood = bad.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

never in a confined place always have good airflow for consoles and I like to keep the cabling neat as well. Typically in cabinets but managed well. When I was a kid we'd setup in the floor often at friends houses or even our place if in a hurry but we always setup properly later or packed things up before moving on to other things out of respect for the homeowner/parents and also for our console. Kids these days seem to toss them around and leave them in the floor to collect dust or get stepped on its crazy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

On my entertainment stand PS3&PS4 lay flat the wii u and wii are vertical.For the older consoles one hook up at a time,for the C64 monitor and the same for the 27 inch CRT TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Weird, I've NEVER heard the fan on my 2600, NES, or Genesis. Don't know what you guys are talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

I keep my modern stuff in open air. The PS3 is in the living room, in a large stand with large amounts of space all around, and the Wii sits behind the TV. In the bedroom, I have the WiiU under the edge of the TV which is on a long dresser, PS2 is under the other edge, and the 360 is on a storage stand next to the TV, laying flat. LOTS of room around that beast!