Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 20 year olds that are into 16-bit gaming.... Why ?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

perhaps they are die hard gamers? I grew up playing N64 and a bit of the SNES before that so I had an interest in the NES so I could play the stuff that came before make sense? Now as for the other more obscure stuff well because I enjoy the way old school games play and I enjoy history and many of these games can be had quite cheap. How is this any different than people liking old cars they didn't grow up with? I'd love several different classic cars I've never experienced. Also who cares if they have cash I'm 26 by the way and first started really buying and playing the classics at 19

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by genesisguy View Post
    But I think the music analogy is BS. People today are listening to classical music that's hundreds of years old. So that kind of throws that analogy out the window.
    People still play chess and checkers, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The old games didn't take 5min to just get to the title screen, nor another few to get into the action or longer. You slide it in, press the on button, and you're in game within a few seconds or maybe up to a minute tops.
    I take it you never played on a Commodore 64, huh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Console gaming FTW

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post

Maybe the 20 somethings are retrogamming for the same reason people collect classic cars, watch old movies, or listen to classic rock e.g., the Eagles or the Stones. Anyway, I think I'll keep listening to the Stones when I'm driving my '71 Mustang Mach 1 home to play my C64.

http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Diamon.../dp/B00JSKOOUA
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 10-21-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've never had nor had an interest in the C64, and I'm not in my 20s. I imagine the same argument could be said for any form of a computer, and I just got my first PC Christmas of 1990 and before that was just the NES and Gameboy. I know you have the whole boot time on any computer, then the typing to get you to the file(exe) then having to type that to start it which clearly isn't as fast as throwing a cart in and pressing power.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Load "*",8,1

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Just a couple thoughts on the topic

I was recently at the Portland Retro Gaming Convention and I was totally the minority being in my 30's. Most of the people I noticed were in there 20's and younger. I really wasn't paying that much attention to everyone's age but it was hard not to notice while I was waiting in line. BTW - the Atari people are in there 50's, .

I'm sure there's many reasons that 20 somethings are into games. I personally think that it's because new games are too serious and not varied enough. If you look at the biggest games of the years 1987 and 2013 you'll noticed that games in 2013 are not marketed towards kids anymore. I acknowledge that IMDB is not a good ranking for games. But I think it says a lot on how gaming has changed. If you look at the first link you'll notice, Zelda II, Punch out, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear and Double Dragon. I wish they'd show some games from other systems, but the point is all these games are different styles and kid friendly. Now check out the second link. GTA IV, Last of us, Bioshock and Tomb Raider. All these games are pretty violent and not kid friendly and mostly FPS games. I do agree that if you look, they're always the exception out there but I'm just looking at the block busters of the year.

Oh and it just me but are games from Japan usually better?

Yep I'm out of the loop and opinionated.

Thanks

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?at=...year=1987,1987

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?at=...game&year=2013

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Load "*",8,1
    Good times...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	love.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	7691

o.pwuaioc, I like the chess and checkers analogy for why 20 somethings are into 16 bit gaming.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First off, don't even get me started on liking the beatles if ur born after the 60s. How can a person not love the Beatles??

Yea 20 somethngs did grow up this stuff, too. I'm 28 and I was born in '86. The first system I played was the NES, and not too much later the Genesis. I was pretty young, but these early systems were available for the first 10 years of my life. We didn't get a Playstation and N64 till I was 12.

Also, theres nothng wrong with liking things before ur time. It doesn't make a person a poseur or whatever. I have an Atari 2600, and I really like playing it. I NEVER played one as a kid. It was just before my time, when I was of 4 or 5 and first introduced to video games the Atari was history. So what? Its the same deal with the Beatles. What sense does it make to not play Atari and have fun, just cuz ur not an old fogey?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homerhomer View Post
    I was recently at the Portland Retro Gaming Convention and I was totally the minority being in my 30's. Most of the people I noticed were in there 20's and younger. I really wasn't paying that much attention to everyone's age but it was hard not to notice while I was waiting in line. BTW - the Atari people are in there 50's, .

I'm sure there's many reasons that 20 somethings are into games. I personally think that it's because new games are too serious and not varied enough. If you look at the biggest games of the years 1987 and 2013 you'll noticed that games in 2013 are not marketed towards kids anymore. I acknowledge that IMDB is not a good ranking for games. But I think it says a lot on how gaming has changed. If you look at the first link you'll notice, Zelda II, Punch out, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear and Double Dragon. I wish they'd show some games from other systems, but the point is all these games are different styles and kid friendly. Now check out the second link. GTA IV, Last of us, Bioshock and Tomb Raider. All these games are pretty violent and not kid friendly and mostly FPS games. I do agree that if you look, they're always the exception out there but I'm just looking at the block busters of the year.

Oh and it just me but are games from Japan usually better?

Yep I'm out of the loop and opinionated.

Thanks

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?at=...year=1987,1987

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?at=...game&year=2013
    I respect ur opinion, but I think variety in video games today really isn't a problem. I think there's tonsa variety, especially when u get into the massive amounts of indie games. I just tried Guacamele at Best Buy, I will be purchasing it when I get around to it, cuz its amazing. What I noticed of games today, theres more variety in graphic styles. Sure the blockbusters are all play-it-safe games, but thats always been the case. When 3D gaming really started with the PS1 and N64, from my perspective that was the birth of "modern gaming." And thats still debatable, Ik, but graphics for games looked more or less the same. Lotsa polygons, some hand-drawn graphics were around, but not too much variety. Now u have the regular 3D graphics, cell-shading, hand drawn games r still strong, sprites that have a real retro look, the crazy graphic style of Rayman Legends which I think looks amazing, theres tons more variety today. Platformers are still alive, in fact 2D platformers r bigger then 3D today.

Final Fantasy is still booming, too, by the way. Altho they're not as fun as the older ones, imo. And Nintendo is still doing wat they do best. And u can download about any older game for free that u would want. I'm still a purist, I buy the real systems with the real controllers and real cart's, but today really is an amazing age of gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Old music really isn't all that old depending on the lyrics and style just old by the year it was released. It doesn't exactly show the age an old video game can. Hell I just got back from a used shop and picked up CCR Chronicle, Lynyrd Skynyrds Greatest Hits, and The Doors Greatest Hits on CDs.

NOw indie games, they're overrated, let's step away from those well informed on forums like this and assume the role of the average store walking dolt for a moment. Most may likely never bother buying a game online or researching to even know what an indie game is, they know what's on the shelf when they go to Gamestop or whatever. If you look at it from a physical level, there's a real lack of variety.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    First off, don't even get me started on liking the beatles if ur born after the 60s. How can a person not love the Beatles??
    A difference is you can love the Beatles and collect their music without having to hunt down old LPs and a hi-fi to play them on.

There are certainly vintage vinyl collectors, but those who love music from older eras aren't necessarily into collecting the vintage vinyl.

There's something more than just appreciation for the art when someone seeks out collecting the original media.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    A difference is you can love the Beatles and collect their music without having to hunt down old LPs and a hi-fi to play them on.

There are certainly vintage vinyl collectors, but those who love music from older eras aren't necessarily into collecting the vintage vinyl.

There's something more than just appreciation for the art when someone seeks out collecting the original media.
    I agree. I just don't see why thats a bad thing. I have hundreds of cd's that I bought, and most of them are bands from before I was born. Listening to bands from before ur time is nothing new tho, Kids in '98 were listening to Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd all the time.

What annoys me is when kids who are like 17 adopt the common stigmas towards retro games that aren't necessarily true, like that Shaq Fu is the worst game ever, any game from the 5th gen is crap cuz the cameras aren't perfect, Zelda 2 is the illegitimate Zelda game, all that. Idc really tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

You know what I don't like? Listening to YouTubers who have classic gaming channels that are under 40. The AVGN comes to mind. He was such a basic gamer in 1990. He probably never even heard of a TurboGrafx or Neo-Geo until years later. Pat the NES Punk is another kid who sometimes irks me.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

You know what I don't like? A bunch of old men telling me to get off their lawns just because they think I don't know my stuff. I could list off all the stuff I know about/have despite my first real system being a PS1, but I don't need to. The hobby isn't some sort of pissing contest.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

You know what I dont like? Mushrooms on pizza. gross.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    You know what I don't like? A bunch of old men telling me to get off their lawns just because they think I don't know my stuff. I could list off all the stuff I know about/have despite my first real system being a PS1, but I don't need to. The hobby isn't some sort of pissing contest.
    Your welcome on my lawn anytime. We'll split a 12 pack.

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    You know what I dont like? Mushrooms on pizza. gross.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

No one is old (65+) in this thread as far I know, but if they are, I welcome their opinions. Those are the types of people I like to learn from. I'm not saying you don't know your history, but I would rather listen to someone who experienced it the first time around. I mean no offense to you, although I feel there is no way nice way to say this.

Yes, there is no one alive who was around when Mozart was alive. Mozart enthusiasts however have no choice but to listen to those who weren't around when he was. There will come a time when there is no one alive born in the 70's or 80's. Until that time comes, however, there are other options.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    No one is old (65+) in this thread as far I know, but if they are, I welcome their opinions.
    Over 40 is old. No offense to the old people in this thread or anything.

Most people who experienced it the first time around aren't still interested in playing with their old toys, that's for younger people like their kids or grandkids who were given the old consoles out of storage. Unless you're talking about hearing from the people who originally made the games, but this is more about who they are than their age. There really aren't a lot of old people making videos on old video games, they're mostly younger folks.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The hobby isn't some sort of pissing contest.
    You clearly don't have a feel for the gaming community.
    Everything related to this hobby is a pissing contest about every other little thing and the only real way to avoid it is to either not collect or distance yourself from the whole mess.